Open groupings

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Received the start sheet today for an open i'm playing next month. Quite a few golfers from different clubs mixed up as you might expect but I couldn't help noticing about 4 x 3-ball groups with players from the same club.

Is it just me or is that poor organising?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last Open I played in (4BBB) all the players from our club were in the same groups. It does make organising transport easier.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes and also from a competition standpoint better integrity I would have thought.

Basically that would mean the wouldnt trust the people entering - always got to show a level of trust towards players in an open comp

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Basically that would mean the wouldnt trust the people entering - always got to show a level of trust towards players in an open comp

Surely moving one into the next group isn't going to hurt, most will stay for dinner and prize giving anyhow.

I get that they need to trust people but seems common sense to split a 3 ball up that "could" be exceptionally pally from the same club.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely moving one into the next group isn't going to hurt, most will stay for dinner and prize giving anyhow.

I get that they need to trust people but seems common sense to split a 3 ball up that "could" be exceptionally pally from the same club.

Again thats showing a lack of trust - many people play opens together as mates etc - if we start to split people up due to a lack of trust then a big pillar of our game takes a big hit

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could also argue that the 3 pals playing together have an advantage over the field by being comfortable and relaxed in their company whilst the rest of the field is playing with strangers .

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm playing in our individual open Sunday, each 3 ball has one member other 2 are visitors. Helps pace of play as each group has someone who knows the course and can advise if a ball is unlikely to be found or not, advise when it's safe to tee off etc. It also, with the prize money available these days, protects the integrity of the competition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would prefer to see groups from one club split to some degree. Surely that has to be better for the integrity of a comp. Even if they all travel in one car, surely they will all stop and enjoy the meal and prize giving so it shouldn't impact trave logisitics

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm playing in our individual open Sunday, each 3 ball has one member other 2 are visitors. Helps pace of play as each group has someone who knows the course and can advise if a ball is unlikely to be found or not, advise when it's safe to tee off etc. It also, with the prize money available these days, protects the integrity of the competition.

👆👆👆 Best way to do it if possible IMO