Open Club face on impact.

robbeh32

Visit site
Can anyone help me with this. I don't swing over the top anymore but still have club face open on impact and would like some drills to stop please!!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Check the club face angle at address by holding the club straight out horizontally in front of you.

How does the shot fly after impact?

robbeh32

Visit site
i have a neutral grip currently. I'm left handed so dont know which way to do a strong grip when I watch grip vids confused me.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
i have a neutral grip currently. I'm left handed so dont know which way to do a strong grip when I watch grip vids confused me.
Move both hands anti clockwise around the grip. The Vs between your thumb & first finger should point to your left shoulder or farther left. The right thumb should be anti clockwise around the grip. If it's down the shaft i.e. parallel with the Shaft it's too weak.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're left-handed, presumably you look down and can see about 2 knuckles of your right hand? Now turn it round so you can 3 knuckles instead. That direction makes it stronger.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When people talk about strengthening the grip it is important to keep the club face square ie let go of the grip completely then change the grip. A common fault is to just turn the wrist with the club in the same position in the hands.

Personally I would be looking at swing path which is why asked what shot shape you are producing e.g is it a straight block to the left ball going dead straight.

robbeh32

Visit site
Ball is going straight with slight fade left with open face sometimes further going left (slice). I will try a stronger grip like said above to see if that helps. I'm trying to roll my wrist a little with follow through but sometimes thats causing me to overdraw the ball / hook and I'm finding it hard to find that middle ground!

User20204

Visit site
My opinion would be to just play with your shot, a slight fade, most of the top layers in the world play with a fade but one thing I'd definitely cut out is trying to roll your hands on impact.

Rolling your hands if fine if you're looking to hit a hook (round a tree for example) but unlikely to be controllable off the tee with a driver.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
How do you know it's open at impact ?
Ball is going straight with slight fade left with open face sometimes further going left (slice). I will try a stronger grip like said above to see if that helps. I'm trying to roll my wrist a little with follow through but sometimes thats causing me to overdraw the ball / hook and I'm finding it hard to find that middle ground!
If the ball is starting straight, this indicated that the clubface is square to the target line at impact & open to the swing path which, by definition must be out to in if the ball fades. Not sure how the Trackman data can explain this. "clubface open" means nothing unless it must be related to the swingpath or target line. The diagram here explains it https://www.golftec.com/blog/2016/08/golf-ball-flight-laws/

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
No, no, no! This will just lead to inconsistency