Online betting ads are making Sky's golf coverage misery

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Havent read the 'debate' on page 2 (20 posts per page) but what I did skim and also notice from the OP is that there isn't one mention of ITV, BT Sport, Channel 4/5 or any other commercial channel that, after a certain time or during certain events, advertise whatever the highest bidder and/or market rate commands at that time.

It always seems to be against Sky?

Anyway, one thing the OP and the complainants are proving is that advertising works.

Tap, Tap, BOOM.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only read the first page and seriously get a grip of yourself.

Its not the adverts making you bet its you yourself. Do you watch the adverts about Dyson and suddenly hoover the living room? Sky do wonders for Golf, the BBC gave up on it. End of story.

You realise that despite the adverts you had to sign up, agree to the terms, enter your details? Did the adverts force you to do it? No they didnt. You are responsible for your own actions.

I am sick to death of PC Britain

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Isn't it time that some techynerdywunderkid developed an Ad blocker for TV....?
If they can do it for your PC/Phone/Tablet.......

D

Deleted member 15344

It would be lovely but i dont expect it to be allowed with the amount of revenue companies pay to advertise

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At the end of the day, the only people who make big money out of gambling are the bookmakers, so be 'Gambling Aware' and don't bother with it! If people stop betting, the bookies will go bust and we will no longer be bothered by their adverts and Ray Winston!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I read recently they were doing the opposite. Sky were developing something to prevent you fast forwarding the ads if you were watching a recording of a program.

To be honest that would kill me if it extended to all commercial TV stations, as apart from golf and a bit of cricket, I hardly watch anything live on commercial TV. As the constant interruptions just does my head in and makes some programs, especially crime/dramas where they are trying to build up some tension and atmosphere, virtually unwatchable live.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
At the end of the day, the only people who make big money out of gambling are the bookmakers

100% wrong.

Have you not heard of betfair? There are people trading on there who are self made millionaires. Bookmakers have a list of people who they refuse to take bets off because they are not profitable customers. That list is very very big.

The reason bookmakers exist is because there are idiots like a mate of mine who put a fiver on Monty to win the USPGA because he was 500/1. You throw in 50 people doing that on every horse race per day and its rub your hands together time.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
At the end of the day, the only people who make big money out of gambling are the bookmakers, so be 'Gambling Aware' and don't bother with it! If people stop betting, the bookies will go bust and we will no longer be bothered by their adverts and Ray Winston!

Totally agree with betting responsibly and I do also have concerns over the amount of betting ads, but I think suggesting people do not bother is not that helpful. Most people can bet responsibly, it is a bit of fun and they are not swayed by the constant and annoying ads to bet more and more. Just looked in my Betfair account and since I opened it about 6 years ago I've deposited 605 quid into it and, after my success with Day and Koepka last night, have withdrawn £703.

But I'm not stupid enough to think that as I've made a long term profit, that I should bet bigger amounts to make more, and will stick to my usual total of 20 quid for each major and the national. And I think most other people would be the same, and know to only bet whet you can afford to lose without it financially effecting you in any way.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
100% wrong.

Have you not heard of betfair? There are people trading on there who are self made millionaires. Bookmakers have a list of people who they refuse to take bets off because they are not profitable customers. That list is very very big.

The reason bookmakers exist is because there are idiots like a mate of mine who put a fiver on Monty to win the USPGA because he was 500/1. You throw in 50 people doing that on every horse race per day and its rub your hands together time.

I suppose you could do OK by backing Jordan Spieth to come first or second in every Major, and Tiger Woods missing the cut!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Its not the adverts making you bet its you yourself. Do you watch the adverts about Dyson and suddenly hoover the living room? Sky do wonders for Golf, the BBC gave up on it. End of story.

You realise that despite the adverts you had to sign up, agree to the terms, enter your details? Did the adverts force you to do it? No they didnt. You are responsible for your own actions.

Very very good point.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bet for a bit of fun and an added interest in some sporting events that I watch.

Put a grant total of £8 on the US PGA and had an interest right up until DJ walked off the first green yesterday.... But then that was reignited when he fought back into the places. I "won" £5 so £3 down over the event but still enjoyed it and don't mind that. Only bet what you can afford to lose!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So where do Sky get their money to fund the golf, footy or any other sports coverage?
Simple answer is to switch channels at advert time. I do.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is at least one, or more often than not, two, betting ads every flaming break. It's the sanctimonious "when the fun stops -stop" and "bet responsibly" lines that wind me up.

If these mealy mouthed scumbags really cared or were genuine in stating that then why not say instead:

"Gambling can be extremely addictive and there are countless well documented case studies where addiction to it has totally decimated relationships and lives.

Therefore. We recommend that you pay no heed to these insidious adverts and furthermore, come to think of it, we realise that they are fundamentally wrong and therefore we are ceasing to support them forthwith. So in actual fact if you do try and sign up then you'll find the service no longer exists"

Are you suggesting that warning in relation to betting or golf?!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

As far as I can see, all Sky do for golf is to take the TV feed from foreign broadcasters and provide a team of talking heads to fill in over the local commercial breaks. Then they charge their subscribers and advertisers a fortune to access this rubbish! :angry:

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
As far as I can see, all Sky do for golf is to take the TV feed from foreign broadcasters and provide a team of talking heads to fill in over the local commercial breaks. Then they charge their subscribers and advertisers a fortune to access this rubbish! :angry:

Basically, for any faults you might attribute, they provide 100s of hours of golf coverage every month that was never available to us in the past.

Maybe the coverage isn't perfect but it sure beats no coverage at all.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That is what they do, but I like watching golf so how else am I supposed to do that other than watch on Sky? If I didn't, I'd get to see a couple of days of the Masters and the Open.

I enjoy the coverage Sky provides. It's hardly realistic to expect them to send a production crew out to every single PGA Tour event, and for the bigger events they do have presenters and commentators in attendance.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
That Jason Day was going so well last night that I stuck a tenner on him to win based purely on a Paddy Power ad I saw during the commercials. I signed up for an account and I'm now looking forward to getting myself into a spiral of debt and gambling addiction.

I then saw an ad for a Fiat 500, and was going to buy one until I realised it was 10pm on a Sunday night and that the local dearler was closed.

And that cider advert almost caused me to fall off the wagon and start drinking again.

What a load of rubbish!

As others have said, if the ads offend, turn off or go do something else for the four minutes or so and take your focus away from them. Go for a dump, feed the cat, make a cuppa or have a round of Candy Crush.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not cheap to do that though