Online betting ads are making Sky's golf coverage misery

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is at least one, or more often than not, two, betting ads every flaming break. It's the sanctimonious "when the fun stops -stop" and "bet responsibly" lines that wind me up.

If these mealy mouthed scumbags really cared or were genuine in stating that then why not say instead:

"Gambling can be extremely addictive and there are countless well documented case studies where addiction to it has totally decimated relationships and lives.

Therefore. We recommend that you pay no heed to these insidious adverts and furthermore, come to think of it, we realise that they are fundamentally wrong and therefore we are ceasing to support them forthwith. So in actual fact if you do try and sign up then you'll find the service no longer exists"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

There is at least one, or more often than not, two, betting ads every flaming break. It's the sanctimonious "when the fun stops -stop" and "bet responsibly" lines that wind me up.

If these mealy mouthed scumbags really cared or were genuine in stating that then why not say instead:

"Gambling can be extremely addictive and there are countless well documented case studies where addiction to it has totally decimated relationships and lives.

Therefore. We recommend that you pay no heed to these insidious adverts and furthermore, come to think of it, we realise that they are fundamentally wrong and therefore we are ceasing to support them forthwith. So in actual fact if you do try and sign up then you'll find the service no longer exists"

Maybe they should put that on many different adverts ? Booze for example

Or possibly do they understand that everyone has their own personal choice and is in charge of their own actions.

They are a business attempting to gain profit - just like all the other businesses advertising

There are prob millions who bet sensibly and safely and don't let it ruin their life's

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Gambling is an affliction in the same way as alcoholism. Some are able to control it and others can't. While there seems to be more control over alcohol advertising, it seems that gambling ones are able to appear as and when with some sort of "jokey" gamble responsibility tag line as if that makes it alright. Even that Bad Betty advert was comedic and tongue in cheek. Time for the controlling body to get a firmer grip as it has with tobacco and booze etc.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe they should put that on many different adverts ? Booze for example

It's not the product being flogged per se, but more the relentlessness with which they're hitting this.

Once or twice every break, every 15 minutes, is simply overkill and coupled with the sanctimonious "bet responsibly" and "when the fun stops stop" makes me want to vomit as the sentiment being expressed is so flaming disingenuous.

As Homer says. The advertising standards people need to get a hold of this and curb the relentless frequency of these ads.

In in the same way that the parasitic pay day loan sharks are finally having a big if heat put in them.

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Gambling is an affliction in the same way as alcoholism. Some are able to control it and others can't. While there seems to be more control over alcohol advertising, it seems that gambling ones are able to appear as and when with some sort of "jokey" gamble responsibility tag line as if that makes it alright. Even that Bad Betty advert was comedic and tongue in cheek. Time for the controlling body to get a firmer grip as it has with tobacco and booze etc.
If Carlsberg did......

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not the product being flogged per se, but more the relentlessness with which they're hitting this.

Once or twice every break, every 15 minutes, is simply overkill and coupled with the sanctimonious "bet responsibly" and "when the fun stops stop" makes me want to vomit as the sentiment being expressed is so flaming disingenuous.

Turn over when the adverts come on and you want have to watch them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If Carlsberg did......

Don't mention that word. Stayed in Northampton last night with a scenic view from the room overlooking the Carlsberg brewery. Neon green light finding its way through the sides of the curtains and onto the room plus noisy revellers traipsing in at 3.00am didn't make it my most enjoyable stay. That and their product which I had to sample all afternoon is horrid.

Rant over

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Don't mention that word. Stayed in Northampton last night with a scenic view from the room overlooking the Carlsberg brewery. Neon green light finding its way through the sides of the curtains and onto the room plus noisy revellers traipsing in at 3.00am didn't make it my most enjoyable stay. That and their product which I had to sample all afternoon is horrid.

Rant over

LIKE:thup:
Carlsberg is horrendous!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Turn over when the adverts come on and you want have to watch them

It's not about me. I don't have a gambling addiction so they would never influence me. I'd much rather they didn't inflict my viewing experience by coming on in their blokeishly chummy "hey let's all win a fortune by betting on stuff that up until a few years ago and now thanks to smart phones and tablets, people whould never have even begun to consider in a million years"

This stuff simply gets up my nose. I'm more concerned that these grubby adverts may just hook others into the seedy world of compulsive gambling and so destroy their lives should they succumb to the hype and nonsense.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's not about me. I don't have a gambling addiction so they would never influence me. I'd much rather they didn't inflict my viewing experience by coming on in their blokeishly chummy "hey let's all win a fortune by betting on stuff that up until a few years ago and now thanks to smart phones and tablets, people whould never have even begun to consider in a million years"

This stuff simply gets up my nose. I'm more concerned that these grubby adverts may just hook others into the seedy world of compulsive gambling and so destroy their lives should they succumb to the hype and nonsense.

If you are that worried about their effects then raise it with the people that regulate television - ofcom

Instead of weekly ranting about them actually do something if you are that worried

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok just seen the last 4 advert breaks and there was one advert from a bookie and it was the William Hill £50mil predictor

No bet Fred or Paddy Power or Victor or Bet in play or Ray Winstone

I know it's a regular occurence in football but can't see it so much within the golf programs

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say I'm finding the regular moaning about Sky coverage and adverts more tiring than the coverage itself. If you don't like it, stop watching. It's an amazingly simple solution that requires even less effort than posting on the internet about it.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are that worried about their effects then raise it with the people that regulate television - ofcom

Instead of weekly ranting about them actually do something if you are that worried

I'm not really terribly worried about it at all if I'm being honest. I only mention it on here as it inflicts considerable nuisance on my enjoyment of golf coverage, and as that's, by and large what this forum's about then it seems relevant to make my comments. There is an implicit IMO caveat pertaining to these comments that I haven't stated and of course I realise that all of us on here are not like minded in this respect.

Your "turn it over" or "contact OFCOM" suggestions are of no relevance to me whatsoever to be frank and I wonder why you feel it's pertinent to make them.

If you enjoy the endless gambling ads then good luck to you, and who am I to suggest that you shouldn't. Indeed I am a little envious if you do as your viewing experience must be pretty blissful during most Sky golf transmissions.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to say I'm finding the regular moaning about Sky coverage and adverts more tiring than the coverage itself. If you don't like it, stop watching. It's an amazingly simple solution that requires even less effort than posting on the internet about it.

My suggestion is that if you do find it tiring then don't waste your time posting about it on the Internet. Just do what I do and ignore the many threads that don't interest you or that you find tiresome.

That too is amazingly simple. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not really terribly worried about it at all if I'm being honest. I only mention it on here as it inflicts considerable nuisance on my enjoyment of golf coverage, and as that's, by and large what this forum's about then it seems relevant to make my comments. There is an implicit IMO caveat pertaining to these comments that I haven't stated and of course I realise that all of us on here are not like minded in this respect.

Your "turn it over" or "contact OFCOM" suggestions are of no relevance to me whatsoever to be frank and I wonder why you feel it's pertinent to make them.

If you enjoy the endless gambling ads then good luck to you, and who am I to suggest that you shouldn't. Indeed I am a little envious if you do as your viewing experience must be pretty blissful during most Sky golf transmissions.

So if you aren't really worried why do you constantly feel the need to complain about them ?

I don't enjoy the endless gambling adverts - when they come on I either flick to another channel or do something for a couple mins

But the final thing is another set of adverts has happened and again no betting advert was seen in that set

That's 5 sets now and just one William hill advert so how much exactly is one advert spoiling your enjoyment of the golf ?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
So if you aren't really worried why do you constantly feel the need to complain about them ?

I don't enjoy the endless gambling adverts - when they come on I either flick to another channel or do something for a couple mins

But the final thing is another set of adverts has happened and again no betting advert was seen in that set

That's 5 sets now and just one William hill advert so how much exactly is one advert spoiling your enjoyment of the golf ?

We seem to have a different feed as the last break's first ad was for something called Betway. I'm no expert but it looked to be gambling related to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

We seem to have a different feed as the last break's first ad was for something called Betway. I'm no expert but it looked to be gambling related to me.

Didn't see it on the Sky Go feed

So if it bothers you so much why do you sit and watch them ?

Or if they don't bother you so much why start threads or post multiple times how much they spoil your enjoyment of watching the golf ?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't see it on the Sky Go feed

So if it bothers you so much why do you sit and watch them ?

Or if they don't bother you so much why start threads or post multiple times

1. Because I want to see the golf and resent having to turn the channel over every time an ad break comes on. It's a nuisance - but in particular the disingenuous mealy mouthed pathetic caveats these people seek to attach to their incessant money grabbing businesses insults my intelligence.

2. All of my posts on this thread relate to questions / comments being posed to me in relation to my original comments.

3. This is a forum and I'm entitled to state my opinions on whatever topics I choose as long as they are within forum guidelines. Were I you and I was to find these so annoying or at odds with my own views, then I'd simply ignore them and not get involved in all honesty.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

So you have a solution to stop seeing the ads but you won't do that solution but instead will keep ranting about them despite saying it doesn't really worry you ?!

It's all conflicting and confusing messages you are sending out ?

And also when you start a thread you will need to prepare yourself for other people's views including ones giving you the simple answer to your problem

You appear to have an issue with the betting adverts - the answer to that is don't watch them - but you don't appear to like the sensible answer ?!

The ironic thing is you are telling people if they don't like the thread or views to ignore the thread - can you not follow your own advice In regards the betting ads ?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you have a solution to stop seeing the ads but you won't do that solution but instead will keep ranting about them despite saying it doesn't really worry you ?!

It's all conflicting and confusing messages you are sending out ?

And also when you start a thread you will need to prepare yourself for other people's views including ones giving you the simple answer to your problem

You appear to have an issue with the betting adverts - the answer to that is don't watch them - but you don't appear to like the sensible answer ?!

The ironic thing is you are telling people if they don't like the thread or views to ignore the thread - can you not follow your own advice In regards the betting ads ?

Hmm, I feel we may have reached this particular point in our discussion. But unlike the person in the cartoon I'll bid you goodnight and sweet dreams :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 118