One Length Irons for Beginners?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I meant was, logically speaking if you were inventing golf clubs you would instinctively keep them the same length because it would be easier - so there must have been a reason they didn't do that. I was just thinking aloud though. :LOL:

Logically speaking no you wouldn't because old tech to stop the ball traveling so far you had what loft and length to adjust. Simple stuff

Now you have lie, loft, length. Swing weight

I mean if you feel the swing weight on my one length hybrids compared to normal it's insane but it really flies .. technology has moved on and made the one length system easier to get working

Sekiro

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies, it seems to have split opinions thats for sure but it’s nice to see the open debate around both the pros & cons with these types of clubs. I’ll look to give them a try and see how I feel compared to a more conventional set.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am with Orikoru on this

It will very much limit your choices if you ever want to switch clubs and could just be a passing fad and nobody is making them in the future.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am with Orikoru on this

It will very much limit your choices if you ever want to switch clubs and could just be a passing fad and nobody is making them in the future.
Really disagree it's a passing fad
They have been around from cobra for what 4 years now.. if was a fad would be gone by now

Also cobra said recently the sales of one length irons are starting to be 50% of their iron sale figures

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've tried the one length and aside from my nervousness about chipping with a wedge that was so long (especially for someone with an iffy short game anyway) they were good. I can see some benefit for a beginner playing all the shots at one length from the same spot which would make it nice and consistent for set up. If after time, providing the OP or any beginner has the basics in terms of golf mechanics I don't see a massive problem them switching to a conventional set

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've tried the one length and aside from my nervousness about chipping with a wedge that was so long (especially for someone with an iffy short game anyway) they were good. I can see some benefit for a beginner playing all the shots at one length from the same spot which would make it nice and consistent for set up. If after time, providing the OP or any beginner has the basics in terms of golf mechanics I don't see a massive problem them switching to a conventional set

You don’t have to buy the wedges. I’ve tried the one length and had no problems with the pitching wedge. A lot of people buy the gap/sand/lob wedges separately from regular sets anyway. I know plenty of people that like to use a 7/8/9 irons to chip when necessary and don’t have problems with the length of the shaft for that.