One handed chipping

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Does anyone do it. I have played with two lads over the last couple of months that chip with just one hand. It ends up going all over the place. One is an excellent squash coach so I would expect him to be technically good, but he says he cannot chip 2 handed.

D

Deleted member 29109

I am pretty good now at hitting 10 yard flop shots one handed with a 60* wedge. This is after spending all last summer chipping one handed in the garden whilst on the phone working from home. So much so, I had to stop as it was giving me problems chipping normally.

Can’t say I’ve ever tried it on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they're doing that they must have had chipping yips. Not much reason to try one handed otherwise. Unless they did it in a training drill and found they got closer than with two hands, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If they're doing that they must have had chipping yips. Not much reason to try one handed otherwise. Unless they did it in a training drill and found they got closer than with two hands, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Totally unrelated but I played with a lad the other day, very good golfer but a couple of times it looked like he had the putting yips.
he went to hit the ball a couple of times and stopped before he hit the ball, then when he did he knocked it 6ft past from about 20 ft. The two times he did it, both times he was putting for birdie and three putted. It was quite painful to see. First time I had seen it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally unrelated but I played with a lad the other day, very good golfer but a couple of times it looked like he had the putting yips.
he went to hit the ball a couple of times and stopped before he hit the ball, then when he did he knocked it 6ft past from about 20 ft. The two times he did it, both times he was putting for birdie and three putted. It was quite painful to see. First time I had seen it.
Tell him to get a left-handed putter! That seems to be a popular fix for putting yips these days.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
We've got a guy on our swindle who chips one handed and is deadly. Deadly.
I can't begin to work out how he does it, but it works for him. And he's useless chipping two-handed!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
A friend of mine at the club has the chipping yips, so practices one handed, and chips one handed in bounce games. I don't think it makes much difference to be honest, he's a 5 handicapper, and for the last year or so can't chip for toffee.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had spells where I have done so, sometimes get a feeling of my hands fighting each other 2 handed. Can actually chip pretty well short distances with either hands (chip and runs left handed, lofted shots right handed). Makes 40 yards even harder with 2 hands though!!!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I played in the scratch team we played Childwall GC and they had two guys who did this.
They were very good at it as well one beat me 2&1.
One was off 5 the other off 1.
Both had the yips and had broomhandle putters.
The one off five was taught by the other.
Very strange to watch

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Humpy

Visit site
Go onto YouTube and search for Kevin Kisner's video about fixing someone's chipping. In this he advises practicing with one hand.

I've tried it when practicing and am a lot more consistent but don't have the balls to take it out on the course!