One for the club builders out there

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So this season I'm going to play a shorter shaft in my driver and 3 wood, 44" and 42" to be precise
So do I shorten and get the swingweight matched by tip weights or do I play a heavier shaft in them?
FWIW I do tend to get a bit ott on my backswing I though a heavier shaft may counteract this.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
As far as I've understood, you need to add weight to the head, not the shaft, to get the swing weight back to where it was after shortening the shaft.

But I'll sit back and wait what the actual experts have to say.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my take wouldn't go the heavier shaft route

as it's likely the delivery of the shaft and clubhead will still deliver pretty much same impact conditions (heavier shaft unlikely to change the swing path direction at transition) - but likely with little ways loss of clubhead speed so less ball speed/distance also could make the face more likely to be 'open' at strike

an OTT downswing so swinging left through impact tends to encourage a 'flip' upwards with the trail hand so lead hand angle collapses - this tends to happen as without the flip the face angle would be more open through impact - so there's an automatic compensation to get the clubhead there before the hands and handle so better chance of squarer -ish face

trouble is it also adds a bunch more loft, so over high flight plus the contact location on face will very dependent on how much 'flip' shot to shot gets added it also varies constantly were the low point of the swing is

Last edited:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
coach high shot is my stock shot you got me there.
Still I'm defo shortening for better control, guess I'll just get some weight added to the head/shaft tip

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does this help?

http://golf.about.com/cs/golfterms/g/bldef_swingweig.htm

I would have thought the tip weight route would be the solution as depending on the amount of weight needed and the distribution in the shaft you may struggle to make the weight up.

Alternatively would a lighter grip provide a solution?

i agree with the tip weight and a lighter grip as well. I've just bought some mid size Winn Dri Tac lites which are 23g. If your not using an adjustable driver and need to epoxy your shaft in then a bit of lead powder mixed in with the epoxy can be done, but don't over do the powder in the mix.........

D

Deleted Member 1156

To be honest, I would be very surprised if you actually notice any difference, You are taking off 3/4 or 1 inch?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have tried to shorten shafts several times and every time it has been a complete failure and has not achieved what I hoped, which was more consistency and accuracy at the expense so a few yards.
If your serious about it I would go to a decent club fitter and get it done right, that way if it doesn't work you know it's not the clubs fault.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they are both heading to a clubfitter, I've experimented with a 3 wood shaft in a driver, it felt weird but saw no loss of distance really, I think 44" would be perfect.
The 3 wood is mainly for off the deck so it's going down to 42" as I've had success with 5 woods that length but probably to much loft on them.