One for Ethan I think.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi I have been looking to get new iron for a while now. I had got it down to TM R7's & Cally X22's. Both with graphite shafts. After a previous post and the comment from the lads on here. Knocked the list down to just the Callys. Like a fool I stated looking at other Callys. As I found the top line A bit thick and the head a bit big( hit them great though). Now I have seen a set of Cally X22 tour irons. With steel shafts. I prefure the look of them as they seem more compact, with a thinner top line.

Ok now to my question. The shafts are "Rifle 5.0 project X flighted". Cant find much info on them on the net even on there own site. When I hit with the irons. I found I hit the long irons higher than the graphite ones, plus a bit longer. The mid irons were about the same on both. The short irons went lower but about the same distance as the graphite. Also the rifle shafts felt on the soft side of reg and quite light to swing. A bit lighter than the graphite ones(but this could be just me) I was just wondering if this is right for the rifle shafts or is it all in my head. Just need a bit of info before I make up my mind which to get. So far leaning towards the steel shaft. HELP!!:confused: ...

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
surely it matters more how you hit them as opposed to the shaft specifics? I think the 5.0 is on the softer side of reg if my memory serves me right (I was looking at irons for a good few months)

T

thecraw

The 5.0 will play as a regular shaft, there or there abouts.

You are quite correct in your observations as the flighted are designed to give a higher trajectory on the low irons and a lower trajectory off of the high end irons. I really liked my flighted shafts and think they are a very nice shaft which offers good feedback.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
good spot craw, missed the flighted bit, my irons come in flighted but I have the uniflex. Still go bloody high compared to my titleists 775's tho :)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
G1bbo I hit them both great (well for me anyway). Just like the head size more on the tour ones. Plus wanted the info on the shafts. To see if it was just me or they were designed that way. Must add there was much more feed back on the rifles(as Craw said), than the graphite shafts. Even I could tell the differance and thats not normally the case. Just want to be certain as the rifles are £100 dearer than the graphite. Ok 2 more clubs in the set but £100 is a £100 lol. Dont change clubs often about every 10 yrs or so. So I want to get it as right as I can.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sure I remember Ethan saying once that S300 on the PX scale would be about 5.3 so using that would put 5.0 (as long as they're PX, not just Rifle which are half a point softer) a little firmer than R300.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'd agree with not getting yourself embroiled in all the technicalities just yet, try them and see what works for you, ask later what they are and why they suit you.

I've played regular somethings all my life, recent fitting had me on stiffs and Xtra stiffs, only told once I saw the flights and dispersion was better.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Project X flexes are funny. They do not equate to Rifle standard flexes, and flighted also differ a bit from Project X. The way that flighted shafts work is that the longer irons are intended to give a higher flight than standard, and the shorter irons a lower flight. This is considered by many to be optimal.

So one way for this to be done is for the shafts to be trimmed differently across the set. But that doesn't work so well in PX, so the flighted PX use a slightly softer shaft in the long irons and a slightly firmer shaft in the short. This gives the necessary difference in flight.

5.0 PX is between TT DG R300 and S300, slightly closer to the latter. PX flighted tend to feel like they play a shade softer, so if you are used to R flex shafts, the 5.0 probably will feel fine.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Ethan. Yes do use reg shafts. Have started to use a slower(smoother) swing so they should be spot on I hope.

Last edited: