On the Green picking marker accidentally

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Today my partner marked position of my ball on the green without me noticing or telling me - and then chucked my ball a little bit aside. One of our opponents then marked my moved ball as he hadn’t spotted my partner marking it‘s original position. I walked to my ball, handed the marker to my opponent and putted before my partner could stop me. I missed the putt.

I am assuming that putting all the marking aside, the ruling is simply that I putted from the wrong position. In medal I would be penalised, but as it was matchplay could our opponents agree that I could replay my shot, this time from the correct position. Or could they say…we’ll not ask you to replay that shot.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Today my partner marked position of my ball on the green without me noticing or telling me - and then chucked my ball a little bit aside. One of our opponents then marked my moved ball as he hadn’t spotted my partner marking it‘s original position. I walked to my ball, handed the marker to my opponent and putted before my partner could stop me. I missed the putt.

I am assuming that putting all the marking aside, the ruling is simply that I putted from the wrong position. In medal I would be penalised, but as it was matchplay could our opponents agree that I could replay my shot, this time from the correct position. Or could they say…we’ll not ask you to replay that shot.

My understanding is that you cannot agree to break the rules of golf but your opponents are entitled to ignore the breach.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even though our opponents were actually party to the breach - and you might say were actually responsible for it?

I steered away from the point that their information was wrong and I believe that the hole would stand as a win for you if you couldn't go back and play your teams putt, without penalty. What I do understand is that you can't chat about a way to circumvent the rules and agree to something that is against the rules of golf, but the could just ignore what happened, ir indeed, just concede the hole.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One aspect of this is that the opponents are not permitted to mark and lift the ball without your consent and the opponent occurs a shot penalty for doing so.
Had they asked maybe your partner could have stopped it being marked in the wrong position or pointed out that he had already moved it.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
An analysis..
- when the partner marked the ball and tossed it aside, it was no longer a ball in play
- the opponent's marking of a ball not in play is not a breach of any Rule
- players may ignore a breach of the Rules by opponents, but once the breach is discussed, it can no longer be ignored, the penalty must be applied
- there is no "do over" allowed in the Rules for this situation
- when the player replaced his ball at the spot where the opponents marked it, with the intent for it to be in play, and then played from that spot, he played from a wrong place. The penalty is loss of hole. In this case (fourball), the penalty only applies to the player who played from the wrong place, not to the side.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One aspect of this is that the opponents are not permitted to mark and lift the ball without your consent and the opponent occurs a shot penalty for doing so.
Had they asked maybe your partner could have stopped it being marked in the wrong position or pointed out that he had already moved it.
Now I never appreciated that - or maybe I’ve forgotten - as I always ask. In this situation today I have been thinking that my opponent was OK marking my ball without him asking me or my partner ( though @rulie points out that my opponent didn’t actually breach the rule as my ball wasn’t in play…but good to know for future reference).

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
An analysis..
- when the partner marked the ball and tossed it aside, it was no longer a ball in play
- the opponent's marking of a ball not in play is not a breach of any Rule
- players may ignore a breach of the Rules by opponents, but once the breach is discussed, it can no longer be ignored, the penalty must be applied
- there is no "do over" allowed in the Rules for this situation
- when the player replaced his ball at the spot where the opponents marked it, with the intent for it to be in play, and then played from that spot, he played from a wrong place. The penalty is loss of hole. In this case (fourball), the penalty only applies to the player who played from the wrong place, not to the side.
My instinct was that, despite all the shenanigans around marking my ball, I’d simply played from the wrong position, and should have been more observant about what was going on and tough on me - I’m out the hole.

In my defence I’d played onto the green from a very deep green side bunker and was busy tidying up the bunker when all the marking was going on ?