On the Green picking marker accidentally

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there a penalty here:

Playing partner makes ball on the green, repairs pitch match and accidentally picks up ball marker without putting out, he recognised the mistake and put the maker back where he thought it was and putted out.

Whats the ruling? I think nothing as it was a genuine mistake that was corrected before finishing the hole, other had said a two shot penalty?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, really. You'll need to spell it out for me - bearing in mind that the OP is wrong in describing the action of absentmindedly lifting the marker as accidental.
Hi Colin . Is it the wording ur talking about ? Would i be incorrect to assume unintentionaly would = accidentaly ??

If u didnt mean it , i would class it as accidental
Thanks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi Colin . Is it the wording ur talking about ? Would i be incorrect to assume unintentionaly would = accidentaly ??

If u didnt mean it , i would class it as accidental
Thanks
That might be the case if, say, player moved it with his/her foot - forgetting/not realising where marker was. But actually picking marker up? That's not accidental, but 'absentmindedly' as Colin posted.

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
That might be the case if, say, player moved it with his/her foot - forgetting/not realising where marker was. But actually picking marker up? That's not accidental, but 'absentmindedly' as Colin posted.
Thank u. I would not have viewed it as such until i read ur answer , very well explained ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surely context is everything here. In a 'normal' or even a club game an accidental action can be ignored.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
He said it was accidental so why wouldn’t it be?!
It wouldn't be because picking something up can't be accidental whether done absent-mindedly or by mistake. It is a purposeful, controlled action intended to achieve a particular outcome. Accidentally moving a golf ball or anything else is the unexpected, unintended,unplanned, unwanted by-product of an action made for a different purpose.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
He said it was accidental so why wouldn’t it be?!
It's the difference between knocking over a vase of water when trying to reach a flower on the other side of the table and pouring the water down the sink and then realising you were planning to use it again.
The former was an accident the latter wasn't.

In this case the player grasped the ball in his fingers and lifted it off the ground. What hidden power forced his fingers to do that?

salfordlad

Visit site
For anyone unconvinced that this action gets a penalty, there have been very clear RB rulings affirming this action gets a 9.7 penalty - this is not the type of "accidental" movement that qualify for no penalty as explained in 13.1d(1)/1.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there a penalty here:

Playing partner makes ball on the green, repairs pitch match and accidentally picks up ball marker without putting out, he recognised the mistake and put the maker back where he thought it was and putted out.

Whats the ruling? I think nothing as it was a genuine mistake that was corrected before finishing the hole, other had said a two shot penalty?

Sorry for the use of accidentally, he marked ball, lifted ball to clean, repaired his pitch mark then picked (deliberate action but a bit of brain fad) up his marker (Plonker) and having cleaned his ball when to replace and realised his mistake, so thank you reading your replies I would say 9.7b applies, one shot penalty