On Course Lesson Etiquette?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm currently going through a Groundhog Day scenario whereby I'm hitting the ball well at the range and the practice ground, but when I step onto the course, I tend to play ok for 4 or 5 holes, then it all falls apart, and by the turn, I can barely hit the ball.

An on course lesson seems to be a sensible way forward. I've got a few lessons paid for a while back. Trouble is, the pro does all his lessons in a studio and is not attached to a club.

I was going to ask him if he could do an on course lesson at my place (I'd sign him on as a guest), but wasn't sure if the pro at our place would be unhappy about another pro giving a lesson on "his" course?

evemccc

Visit site
I'm currently going through a Groundhog Day scenario whereby I'm hitting the ball well at the range and the practice ground, but when I step onto the course, I tend to play ok for 4 or 5 holes, then it all falls apart, and by the turn, I can barely hit the ball.

An on course lesson seems to be a sensible way forward. I've got a few lessons paid for a while back. Trouble is, the pro does all his lessons in a studio and is not attached to a club.

I was going to ask him if he could do an on course lesson at my place (I'd sign him on as a guest), but wasn't sure if the pro at our place would be unhappy about another pro giving a lesson on "his" course?

Say he’s a friend 🤷‍♂️

Or do it on the course pro’s day off?

D

Deleted member 15344

Most golf pros are franchise contractors to the club - so who plays on the course won’t be down to them

But I would just out of good manners and common courtesy speak to him and the club - remembering that PGA pros do get courtesy of the course

I’m sure if it’s a decent Pro he wouldn’t be too put out

Just have to worry about the timings to ensure you don’t cause any pace of play issues

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd be checking with your pro if he is prepared to do an on course lesson at another club for a start. My mate is pro and he won't do it as its too time consuming for him and cost wise would his lesson fee would be greatly increased.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd be checking with your pro if he is prepared to do an on course lesson at another club for a start. My mate is pro and he won't do it as its too time consuming for him and cost wise would his lesson fee would be greatly increased.

I emailed him yesterday to sound him out. I've got 3 1 hour lessons still to take with him. I've offered to trade two in for the on course lesson. He is only based 15 minutes away from my course, so I don't mind him taking 30 minutes travelling time and giving me a 90 minute lesson.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I emailed him yesterday to sound him out. I've got 3 1 hour lessons still to take with him. I've offered to trade two in for the on course lesson. He is only based 15 minutes away from my course, so I don't mind him taking 30 minutes travelling time and giving me a 90 minute lesson.
No reason not to in that case, I'm sure your club pro wouldn't mind.

I'm going to make a prediction though... I bet you will play out of your skin🤣 while with the pro

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best to ask, chances are they’ll either know each other or at least recognise each other, could be awkward if you’ve just said they’re a mate.

sjw

Visit site
Best to ask, chances are they’ll either know each other or at least recognise each other, could be awkward if you’ve just said they’re a mate.
That's what I was thinking! Can you imagine how it'd play out if it turns out it's no problem at all and the coach has done numerous lessons at that course before!! Turning up, trying to sneak him in, and then they just start chatting like they're old pals! Lol!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No reason not to in that case, I'm sure your club pro wouldn't mind.

I'm going to make a prediction though... I bet you will play out of your skin🤣 while with the pro

I had a lesson with another pro a few years ago. I was really struggling with my irons. He said "lets see you hit a few balls." Every single ball I hit was lovely. After 10 minutes he said "you can either pay me to watch you hit great shot after great shot, or we can pack in now and I won't charge you." :D

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
I had a lesson with another pro a few years ago. I was really struggling with my irons. He said "lets see you hit a few balls." Every single ball I hit was lovely. After 10 minutes he said "you can either pay me to watch you hit great shot after great shot, or we can pack in now and I won't charge you." :D
I had a playing lesson as part of my lessons and practice regime to get to single figures. We stopped after 6 holes with me level par and the Pro 2 over! Conclusion was that a bit more care about the setup and pre-shot routine was the solution!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Get the pro to join you at the turn :) dont waste those first good 4 or 5 holes.

NeilV

Visit site
I had an on course lesson with a pro from a different club last summer. The pro I was having the lesson with contacted the resident pro to ask for permission.
Fair to say I didn't play out of my skin, and it was therefore a useful experience.

NearHull

Visit site
Our ProfessionaL’s contract gives him exclusive rights to coaching within the club boundaries. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is a standard clause.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our ProfessionaL’s contract gives him exclusive rights to coaching within the club boundaries. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is a standard clause.

That was my concern hence the original post.

In the event, this is a non-starter as the pro I have the outstanding lessons with is not willing to do the on course lesson.