Olympic Golf-Womens Event

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good win for Inbee Park. Glad the lovely Lydia Ko got Silver despite hardly making a putt all day. A failure for Aimpoint perhaps? Charley Hull was only 2 shots off the medals and stayed vaguely in contention for most of the day. :)

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
Enjoyed the golf but the commentators got even worse as the tournament was reaching its conclusion. How can they manage to be confused over 3 people getting medals??????

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Is it me or are the commentators dumbing down the commentary for the benefit of non-golfers?

Am actually enjoying the golf. Some cracking stuff being played.

It's the Olympics so they have to commentate assuming that the people tuning in are non experts. Is great when other sports do this as it helps a non expert understand what is going on. So we have to expect this to happen in the golf as well,. If the tournament was run as just for existing golfers then it would even less chance of it carrying on past Tokyo.

13Aces

Club Champion
Visit site
It's the Olympics so they have to commentate assuming that the people tuning in are non experts. Is great when other sports do this as it helps a non expert understand what is going on. So we have to expect this to happen in the golf as well,. If the tournament was run as just for existing golfers then it would even less chance of it carrying on past Tokyo.
But the problem was the commentators were making obvious mistakes (calling a shot in Position A when it most definitely was not) and couldn't describe or worse didn't understand what the possible outcomes could or would be as the leaders approached the last few holes.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
But the problem was the commentators were making obvious mistakes (calling a shot in Position A when it most definitely was not) and couldn't describe or worse didn't understand what the possible outcomes could or would be as the leaders approached the last few holes.

Fair enough, I did not watch enough of it to comment on their competence. I suppose you can dumb it down to make it understandable for the novice, and still be competent, as I would argue quite a lot of the BBC commentators have. I know they were not BBC commentators but sounds like these guys were not doing a great job.

davie24

Club Champion
Visit site
The commentary did seem a bit strange at times. However,I really enjoyed the coverage of both the men's and women's events. It made a pleasant change to watch uninterrupted coverage.
Well done to the BBC.