Olympic Golf-Womens Event

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Reminder if needed that its different to the ‘usual’ schedule & runs Wed-Sat so the women’s Olympic golf kicks off today

The top players are pretty much all there, Ko naturally a favourite with the bookies but plenty who’ll fancy their chances (from outside the top players I think Piller or Minjee Lee make good outside bets)
Team GB definitely have polar opposites in youth & ‘experience’ with Hull & Matthew (& for me the latter more likely to get a chance at a medal but I don’t think the double is on)

Hope it gets similar support from spectator numbers and looking forward to seeing how differently the course is set up from last week too

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to see the top ladies getting some good to coverage (apart from the inane commentary that blighted the men's coverage). Would be lovely to see a GB double in this to match Rose's efforts but can't see a medal here I'm afraid

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know she's been injured for quite a while now but Inbee Park is not long ago world number 1 and has won almost everything apart from this so she will be eager for this one... there's a lot more players who are rightfully fancied but I think she represents value at 55/1 (which one bookie still offers) even the 40/1 at most others is decent. I got her at 50/1 and with that bookie is now down to 33/1

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know she's been injured for quite a while now but Inbee Park is not long ago world number 1 and has won almost everything apart from this so she will be eager for this one... there's a lot more players who are rightfully fancied but I think she represents value at 55/1 (which one bookie still offers) even the 40/1 at most others is decent. I got her at 50/1 and with that bookie is now down to 33/1

Yeah she'd have been much shorter without the thumb problem (not sure if its totally fixed yet though)

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agree with the OP predictions regarding piller. She has my pennies riding on her along with lexi Thompson and a token bet on Hull.

A day in the office on my own today so will stick the stream on from bbc and enjoy the event

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Agree with the OP predictions regarding piller. She has my pennies riding on her along with lexi Thompson and a token bet on Hull.

A day in the office on my own today so will stick the stream on from bbc and enjoy the event

I think Thompson's power will be really useful to her especially if they haven't reduced the level of sand in those greenside bunkers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is this being shown..?
Tried the Red button channels at the MiL's to no avail.
Got a spare couple of hours so thought I might watch some but I can't find it....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Over 5 1/2 hours for the last group to play 18..........
Was the Men's this slow?
The cycling road race is longer but at least that has an exiting finish on the first day....
Another 2 1/2 days before it gets going......
Great for growing the game.....

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was the Men's this slow?
The cycling road race is longer but at least that has an exiting finish on the first day....

That's 2 hours more than what's necessary, jokers! The guys aren't any better and it's comical listening to the 'powers that be' when they talk about speeding things up, we must! Well go on then if you must, do something instead of nothing!

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was the Men's this slow?

How long did the first group take? Were they the ones who set the tone for the day's play?

Another thing - they wind is predicted to be strong tomorrow - should we expect rounds of 6+ hours? :whistle:

And this is three-balls as well - good grief!!!:confused:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How long did the first group take? Were they the ones who set the tone for the day's play?

Another thing - they wind is predicted to be strong tomorrow - should we expect rounds of 6+ hours? :whistle:

And this is three-balls as well - good grief!!!:confused:

They said the 1st group went round in 4.30 (if memory serves the men were 4:15 for 1st group last week

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a bit late turning the telly on - so only caught the last half hour. So l only saw the final group playing the second half of the last hole.

Good grief, is it always that slow? I had time to cook my tea between shots.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Actually, I found watching Hendrik Stenson way more painful. He took ages for every shot. And his group always failed to keep up with the group in front, there was a noticable gap there.

With the women, I could not point my finger on an individual player. The whole field seemed to move slower and slower, no real gaps opening up between the groups (at least none I noticed). Of course, a tournament like this cannot be compared to a Sunday amateur round. There is a lot going on on the side lines (setting up cameras, shooing spectators out of the way etc.) which we don't really get to see on the broadcast. But I agree that 5 1/2 hours is too long, of course.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just watching it made my teeth itch, Lydia Ko's aimpoint putting routine in particular, great player but painful to watch on the green. Sandra Gal was frankly taking the proverbial on all shots.

complete opposite - Charlie Hull grabs the club, steps up - BANG - even her caddie had to tell her to slow down :D

I honestly don't know how the fast ones cope playing with the painfully slow ones.