Olympic Golf-Womens Event

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
another hole in one - Lydia Ko.

And that rake by the bunker on the RHS of the 1st - you see how a ball could be missing the bunker to the right but hit the rake and get deflected into the bunker. You'd think the caddies would know better, mind you I think the caddies (actually the players use of them) are the a big part of the slow play problem with the women's game.

Also some of the yardages being shown on screen are wonky. If Hall's drive on 1st ended up 275yds from centre of green she proceeded to hit an iron something like 300yds...

Suzanne Peterson just done front 9 in 30!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it me or are the commentators dumbing down the commentary for the benefit of non-golfers?

Am actually enjoying the golf. Some cracking stuff being played.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Also some of the yardages being shown on screen are wonky. If Hall's drive on 1st ended up 275yds from centre of green she proceeded to hit an iron something like 300yds...

It's a deliberate policy to hide the true distances they play. They've been doing it forever.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This was what I was referring to when I said it was a hard watch. Finding the commentary off putting and distracting

At one point the Canadian girl (I think) was having to putt from off the green over a mound. She ended up good length but m,aybe four feet right of the hole. The commentator said that she must have been expecting a right to left break - when it was obvious (to this viewer anyway) that she had just not got her putt high enough up the mound - and from behind that is exactly what had happened - nothing at all to do with a right to left break

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
At one point the Canadian girl (I think) was having to putt from off the green over a mound. She ended up good length but m,aybe four feet right of the hole. The commentator said that she must have been expecting a right to left break - when it was obvious (to this viewer anyway) that she had just not got her putt high enough up the mound - and from behind that is exactly what had happened - nothing at all to do with a right to left break
That would have been Brooke Henderson. Maybe she, or the commentator, expected the putt to break back once on the green, but it didn't.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I noticed that. There was also an incident where a drive on the 1st hit a rake not in a bunker and the ball ended up in the bunker. The commentators, went on about rakes in bunkers whilst failing to have noticed that of the ball had not hit the bunker it would have rolled over the mound into the waste bunker as it was travelling pretty quickly. (as a drive a couple of groups earlier had done)