Older named brand vs Newer budget driver?

Blackdog67

Hacker
Visit site
I am new to golf and have been given an old set of clubs. The driver I have in the set I was given is a Callaway Biggest Big Bertha which I believe is a 290cc club with graphite shaft, however I have been told that a modern 460cc driver will be more forgiving. The problem I have is that I am on a tight budget and can't afford huge amounts for a new Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist driver so my question is would I be better sticking with the old Callaway BBB or buying a newer 460cc "budget" Driver?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am new to golf and have been given an old set of clubs. The driver I have in the set I was given is a Callaway Biggest Big Bertha which I believe is a 290cc club with graphite shaft, however I have been told that a modern 460cc driver will be more forgiving. The problem I have is that I am on a tight budget and can't afford huge amounts for a new Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist driver so my question is would I be better sticking with the old Callaway BBB or buying a newer 460cc "budget" Driver?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Technology has moved on quite a bit since the Big Bertha, youd be better off looking for a 460cc more modern driver. Either a few years ago model ideally but a lot of the so called budget brands are excellent nowadays and you can get some great bargains from the likes of MD Golf

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say your best bet would be to upgrade to a big name manufacturer's driver but a couple of generations old. I'm still using the Titleist 910 D2, which I picked up on eBay for £35, and it's as good a driver as anything I've tried currently on the market.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd say your best bet would be to upgrade to a big name manufacturer's driver but a couple of generations old. I'm still using the Titleist 910 D2, which I picked up on eBay for £35, and it's as good a driver as anything I've tried currently on the market.

I'll second that, I bought a 909 D2 from Alex on here for £30 and it's great!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
910 for 50 quid really is still cracking value. Many are still in good nick.

I still have my one as it's not worth punting and a great back up.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a callaway razr fit I am about to punt in fs section for £50 if interested? Is adjustable, comes with wrench, in good nick with stiff flex shaft. The grip could maybe be doing with getting redone but has suited me just fine!

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For golf gear a few years old look on golfbidder, always good service, a good website to navigate round good selection of used clubs, takes away the worry of ebay fakes etc.

Blackdog67

Hacker
Visit site
Plenty of good drivers for players on a budget and keep an eye out for less fashionable brands like Benross
A friend of mine has also recommended Benross Quad as being a very decent forgiving driver, he also mentione the John Letters T9+ as being a good budget model.
I'll have a trawl around and see what i can find.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have a look at the Ping G10/20 ranges also. I paid £45 for my G20 driver. Condition wasn't mint but still does the job, and a whole lot of club for £45.