Old games/devices making a comeback

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see there is a resurgence of Subbuteo footy.
I have all 3, the footy, rugby and cricket all up in the loft collecting dust.
Perhaps it's time to move them on;)
Do you have any or still play them?
Apart from vinyl, I hear cassettes are also on the comeback....I must confess always rewinding them with a pen was a pain.

RichA

Visit site
Electronic rather than physical, but I have a Raspberry Pi running MAME emulator with all the classic 80s arcade games. Donkey Kong and Mario Bros in HD wide screen is the nuts.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I see there is a resurgence of Subbuteo footy.
I have all 3, the footy, rugby and cricket all up in the loft collecting dust.
Perhaps it's time to move them on;)
Do you have any or still play them?
Apart from vinyl, I hear cassettes are also on the comeback....I must confess always rewinding them with a pen was a pain.

I still have Subbuteo in the attic, football and cricket. Several years ago I got into it (football) again for maybe 6-8 months, even went to one of the fairs organised by enthusiasts and played in a tournament that attracted guys over from Italy (where it remains extremely popular).

Didn't keep it up though, but still like to watch the occasional You Tube video.

Subbuteo was a massive part of my teen years. Played it almost every day with my friends. It really is a brilliant game that takes skill and tactics.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to have a brilliant Subbuteo set up. Pitch was laid on some old chipboard and I hade acquired the main stand can got the terracing and corner sections so had a three sided ground. They use to do the crowd barriers (the type you saw at grounds where the top bent back inwards to stop people climbing over) so put that in front of the terraces. Had a large scoreboard in the open section, six floodlights and 26 different teams. Looked mint an use to play it for hours. Had the cricket as well but could never get into that as much

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use to have a brilliant Subbuteo set up. Pitch was laid on some old chipboard and I hade acquired the main stand can got the terracing and corner sections so had a three sided ground. They use to do the crowd barriers (the type you saw at grounds where the top bent back inwards to stop people climbing over) so put that in front of the terraces. Had a large scoreboard in the open section, six floodlights and 26 different teams. Looked mint an use to play it for hours. Had the cricket as well but could never get into that as much
I had normal subbuteo…in fact I have a set in the loft that we got our lad for Christmas. My mate also had Subbuteo rugby. That was fun. The ball was rugby ball shape of course for random bounces and passing accuracy. Had a rugby ball shaped ‘scrummage’; kickers for penalties etc, and lineout throwers. great stuff.

Separately I love board games and especially keep on the look-out in charity shops for any from the 60s and 70s. My most treasured charity shop buy is an original 70s copy of Colditz…the game developed and released off the back of the TV Series. I have quite a few more.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had normal subbuteo…in fact I have a set in the loft that we got our lad for Christmas. My mate also had Subbuteo rugby. That was fun. The ball was rugby ball shape of course for random bounces and passing accuracy. Had a rugby ball shaped ‘scrummage’; kickers for penalties etc, and lineout throwers. great stuff.

Separately I love board games and especially keep on the look-out in charity shops for any from the 60s and 70s. My most treasured charity shop buy is an original 70s copy of Colditz…the game developed and released off the back of the TV Series. I have quite a few more.

Have a look on e bay for current prices on old games. I have a horse racing game that I purchased for £30 ten + years ago. It's current e bay value is around £300

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had Subbuteo when I was a kid and played it with my dad, but then PlayStation and Fifa 96 came along and that was that, we never looked back.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeh any decent condition 80/90's gaming stuff is super popular, NES, Master system, mega drive, SNES, Atari Lynx, Game boy, N64 all creeping up in value! Even Playstation 1 are going up.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have my Atari Lynx II with a couple of games tucked away. It was such a good console but went through batteries like crazy.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have my Atari Lynx II with a couple of games tucked away. It was such a good console but went through batteries like crazy.

They were the ones with the really thin 'blade' games? wasn't there a mega attack helicopter game? i think I had one! The big one, didn't the lynx2 come out and was much smaller.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They were the ones with the really thin 'blade' games? wasn't there a mega attack helicopter game? i think I had one! The big one, didn't the lynx2 come out and was much smaller.
Yeah the cartridges were really thin, with a curved end to pull them back out. I have paperboy and batman returns, but have been toying with the idea to buy a few more off ebay.
I think the Lynx 2 was slightly smaller that the Lynx 1. It had 16 bit colour graphics and 32 bit sound (double the Lynx 1), but otherwise they were fairly similar.
You could flip the screen upside down to rotate the controls if you were left-handed, which was a pretty unusual feature.
They were in competition with the gameboy and Sega game gear, and although seemed to be superior in tech, Nintendo and Sega had them beat on the games available and were smaller.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Good you see you can still get this on Amazon.
71NOJkMvFWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have a look on e bay for current prices on old games. I have a horse racing game that I purchased for £30 ten + years ago. It's current e bay value is around £300
Totopoly? Those I am on the lookout for are Railroader (not such a great game but one I had as a kid and that I loved); Formula 1; Buccaneer, these are all Waddingtons games, and a football game called (Alan Balls’s) Soccerama. Loved them all but not such that I’d pay such as £50 for one of these games, £20 possibly.

Last edited: