Old Course Help/Advice

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spoke to somebody who played the Eden tournement last year and daft o'clock is needed they queued at 5am on the rest day and never got on TOC. Good luck if you do get to play it's a round you won't forget.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I usually get there for 4am when I go for the Old Course and never have a problem getting on. They keep a list of the single players and fit them in wherever they can during the day. You just need to be there when you are called. There is usually a great atmosphere between the people queueing because you are all there for the same iconic reason. What is a few hours waiting for a memory that will last a lifetime?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I usually get there for 4am when I go for the Old Course and never have a problem getting on. They keep a list of the single players and fit them in wherever they can during the day. You just need to be there when you are called. There is usually a great atmosphere between the people queueing because you are all there for the same iconic reason. What is a few hours waiting for a memory that will last a lifetime?

I'm steeling myself for this option, I assume you need to have all your clubs with you?

Also, is it normal to hire a caddy?

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You need your bats with you when you are called. No excuses, if you're not ready, you lose your spot.
Definitely worth hiring a caddy - they know what they are doing. It's about £45-50 plus tip.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm steeling myself for this option, I assume you need to have all your clubs with you?

Also, is it normal to hire a caddy?

Played last July with my nephew, we opted not to caddy but carry as we were out before trolleys were allowed on the course, we were joined by 2 guys from the queue who hired caddies and would say that it's one thing I would change.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a coupe of caddies the first time we played, but didn't bother the next time. If you don't have one just favour the left off the tee and you will be fine. Right side of the fairways is the better line in, but brings a lot of rubbish into play. Left and you can usually borrow someone elses fairway.:)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We had a coupe of caddies the first time we played, but didn't bother the next time. If you don't have one just favour the left off the tee and you will be fine. Right side of the fairways is the better line in, but brings a lot of rubbish into play. Left and you can usually borrow someone elses fairway.:)

Isn't that your normal style of play? :D

To the OP, I took the queuing option a few years ago. You will need everything with you, and you only get 10 minutes notice that you're up so time you've paid you can almost be hitting stone cold; I'd start doing a gentle warm up when you get near the front of the queue. But it was fun chatting with fellow golfers all there for a common purpose.

AND TAKE YOUR HANDICAP CERTIFICATE WITH YOU.

When I was there I was 5th in the queue. Tee times started at 7am, all 4 of the 7am times turned up, only 2 of the 7.10 & only 2 of the 7.20. When the American that decided he didn't need a handicap certificate got tossed, that meant I was out at 7.20. Things may have changed re the HC since I was last there, but if you've got it, that's one less thing to worry about. Good luck.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks everybody for all the advice and tips, I'm pretty much decided now, it's going to be a 3 or 4 o'clock arrival at the queue after picking a day when the weather looks set fair and I'll hire a caddy, I'm so excited already. :D

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
There are two other ways to play The Old Course without a 4am start...

Book in advance through the reservations department at 01334 466 718 (between April and October players can only book in advance if they also book a round on at least one other St Andrews Course and bookings aren't available on a Saturday).

Enter the ballot by providing your name, home club and handicap details either by phone or at one of the clubhouses before 2pm, 48 hours before the day you wish to play. The result of the ballot will be available online at 4.30pm that day (requires a minimum of two per card so you'd need to find a willing companion!).

Duckhooker

Hacker
Visit site
So can you just pitch up early pretty much any day (early doors), join/form a queue and wait without informing the club in advance?
I assume they just try and squeeze you out within 2-3 ball groups with spaces?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
So can you just pitch up early pretty much any day (early doors), join/form a queue and wait without informing the club in advance?
I assume they just try and squeeze you out within 2-3 ball groups with spaces?

Yep that's pretty much it. They make pre booked 2/3 balls up to 4 balls and fill any no show late arrivals.
It is a public course run by the links trust and not a private members club.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
With my game being in the state it is I've decided that it would be sacrilege to play The Old Course (and it would mean taking the car for the whole day which wouldn't go down well with the rest of the family...) so I've been looking at other courses in the area.

There's obviously loads to choose from but it would be good to play with another forummer/forummers rather than on my lonesome so, is there anybody free next week some time for a round somewhere? I'm good for any day Monday to Friday at the moment.

(I'm staying pretty much in the middle of Fife.)

Last edited:

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With my game being in the state it is I've decided that it would be sacrilege to play The Old Course (and it would mean taking the car for the whole day which wouldn't go down well with the rest of the family...) so I've been looking at other courses in the area.

There's obviously loads to choose from but it would be good to play with another forummer/forummers rather than on my lonesome so, is there anybody free next week some time for a round somewhere? I'm good for any day Monday to Friday at the moment.

(I'm staying pretty much in the middle of Fife.)

You can't be that close and not play it, trust me there's something about the place that makes you play well, I couldn't hit a ball for two weeks before I was playing there, stood on the first tee and after finally being able to tee the ball up spanked one down the middle, get there early they'll get you on, you'll regret not playing it mor than if you did, it's a special place

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You can't be that close and not play it, trust me there's something about the place that makes you play well, I couldn't hit a ball for two weeks before I was playing there, stood on the first tee and after finally being able to tee the ball up spanked one down the middle, get there early they'll get you on, you'll regret not playing it mor than if you did, it's a special place

Then again if I'd of missed that fairway I'd have gone home 😀