Old Computer Passwords

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During our recent house move I found an old Acer laptop. I've tried starting it up but it's password protected and I can't remember the password I used. Is there any way to get round it so I can get into it as I want to check if there are any old photos on it before I bin it.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
During our recent house move I found an old Acer laptop. I've tried starting it up but it's password protected and I can't remember the password I used. Is there any way to get round it so I can get into it as I want to check if there are any old photos on it before I bin it.

Have a look at downloading "Hirens Boot Disc". There's a little part of that which will remove any passwords. Take a bit of reading up on.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
if its an old one, start tapping F8 as soon as you hit the power button, choose Safe Mode, and select the Administrator account, you can change or reset user passwords from therein the control panel

works with all windows from 7 backwards.

:thup:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well thanks for all your advice. The Hirens Boot Disk option seemed a bit too technologically advanced for my limited knowledge. And I've no idea what a "caddy" is. So those were a no go. I did the tapping F8 thing that Phil suggested and that worked - sort of. I managed to select Safe mode but then couldn't find the Administrator account to select it. I ended up using a manual brute force attack and after about 60 attempts managed to guess the password I had been using back then. :thup: