Oh no not another new member!

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Quick intro – I picked up the clubs for the first time in February of this year. I decided to sign up for golf lessons straight away and have been with Adrian Rogers (Playgolf Manchester) since about March. He is a fantastic coach and my golf swing has improved dramatically. I played my first game of golf in April and took a horrific 164 strokes (the club felt like a natural extension of my body, mmm). I last played on Monday at Chorlton Cum Hardy Golf Course (winter greens - some of which where virtually unplayable) and I went around in 107. Not setting the world on fire but improving. Next year my aim is to break 100 and ideally bring my handicap down from 28 to 27.

I spoke to one of the personal trainers at my gym and mentioned I play a bit of golf. She told me that she is a qualified ‘Golf Bio-Mechanic’ and she can improve my swing by designing a specific stretching and weights programme. Has anyone used a golf bio-mechanic before? Would this training be more benifical to a more experienced golfer?

A few of us are going to Belton Woods (De Veres) in April and I just wondered if anyone had played their? The Lakes course looks pretty intimidating!

Can anyone recommend a good course in Manchester? (I have only played – Withington, Didsbury and Chorlton Cum Hardy).

Cheers

Mike

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome and enjoy.

Never heard of Golf Bio-Mechanics but anything that can help you keep the golf swing muscles well tuned must be good.

Roger

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers, i'll do my best not to scare anyone lol.

As i'm suffering from a little case of flu i think i'll start looking through the threads and get my 10 months of experience out their!

Mike

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been to Belton woods a couple of times as do not live too far from Grantham. Fairways are nice a wide so a pretty good course for a novice.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey Micky
I go for lessons with James (in winter) at Playgolf Mcr. Disbury and Withingotn are good tracks, Other courses in the area you could try are Altrincham Muni, Heaton park, Sale, Swinton Park, Boysnope park (Irlam), Stockport GC

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi GB72, thank you for the feedback on Belton Woods. I'm really looking forward to the weekend (roll on April)

Hi Junior, yes i know James. Pete Styles and James ran the half day short game session at Adlington in the summer which i attended. Great day and would strongly recommend it. Thanks for the course names i'll have a look at them on the internet. I fancy trying a few new places next year. Although they have to accept 2fore1 vouchers else its a little rich for my blood.

Hi John, urm its basically a nickname from work - think its taken from the film micky blue eyes - mainly because i hotdesk at work so i have two desks... lol

Mike

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Mate my Coach is a Bio mechanic Its a big part of Golf at his level so it will be good for you. I only discovered it this year. Whats is her name?

By the way welcome to the Forum!!

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi MVP, cheers. Her name is Sarah O'Neil and she works at Virgin Active Parrswood. I'm a bit of a fitness nut (5 foot 9in / 11 stone / 13% bady fat) so would like to taylor my current training programe to a more golf specific one. I have just ordered 'Ernie Els Guide to Golf Fitness'.

Sarah charges £35 a session so on top of my lessons (£250 for 10) and addiction to buying golf equipment she might end my relationship with the Mrs! I'll have to review it next year - Biomechanics not the Mrs ;)

Does your coach specify certain exercises and stretches?

Mike

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He hasnt started that with me yet as im reasonably new with him. He uses the biomechanic ideas in sequencing body parts in relation to stages of the golf swing! When he finishes his Uni this year He will be a Doctor of it so im guessing he will involve me more on the fitness side of things.
Unlike you im a sandwich freak 6ft3 19stone 40% Body Fat!

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ha Ha sandwich freak, i like it. I bet at 6'3 and 19 stone you can smack that ball a very long way! Cool, so he's doing a PHD in sports science, focusing on bio-mechanics? Sarah mentioned increasing trunk rotation and increasing the strenth of the core stability muscles. I just think at the moment my swing needs to develop more consistancy before trying to achieve a John Daly swing rotation!

Mike

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well Funnily enough mate my coach says developing these core muscles and getting the torso and stuff turning well, Is the Key to creating the consistency. This is what ive been working on for the last 2 - 3 months, Believe me it pays off. Your bad shots become better, if you know what i mean!

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep, i know what you mean. She offers a free introduction lesson so i'll give that a try in January. Anything to improve my golf swing and bring the scores down!

Mike

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Medwayjon, cheers. I notice you lean towards Cobra equipment... i'm looking to get a Cobra Baffler DWS in January. I have read nothing but good reviews on it, but i'll get down the driving range first and smack a few balls - make sure it feels as good as it looks. Oh and the Aldila NV-HL graphite shaft... drool drool.

Mike

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi shaunv1975,

Another rain lover, good stuff. I normally go Playgolf 1-2 times a week, i have lessons and supervised practice. I cannot fault the place - well ok i can a little. The credit is expensive (£7 for 100 balls) unless you put £40 of credit on a range card, then they give you a 25% discount. It gets pretty busy. Urm thats it! Adrain Rogers, my coach, will give helpful tips to everyone and anyone. Top guy.

i'm pretty easy to spot, i'm the guy swinging a speeding camera on a stick - scaring the young'uns with a noise like breaking dinner plates.

Mike

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i'l make my appologies first because at first glance of your name my eyes read MICKYTWODICKS.
double take was obviously needed.
now that would take some explaining to your mates if it was true.