Official WHS Survey

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's the adapting to current form I don't like.

We all have troughs in form, sometimes only for a week or so, sometimes longer, but our ability doesn't change. If our handicap goes up during a trough then as I see it we're playing off too high a handicap as our ability hasn't altered.
🙋‍♂️
Had a 3 month slump where my index went from 5.9 up to 8.9
I went from getting 7 shots to getting 11..
Form has returned and the index is back to 5.7
As I put a lot of cards in, my index was reflecting my current form/ability...
But it's only going to reflect that current form/ability if I keep putting cards in.
There should be a way of discounting cards older than a certain time....as they don't reflect anything except what was going on back in the mists of time.

RichA

Visit site
🙋‍♂️
Had a 3 month slump where my index went from 5.9 up to 8.9
I went from getting 7 shots to getting 11..
Form has returned and the index is back to 5.7
As I put a lot of cards in, my index was reflecting my current form/ability...
But it's only going to reflect that current form/ability if I keep putting cards in.
There should be a way of discounting cards older than a certain time....as they don't reflect anything except what was going on back in the mists of time.
But oppositely, a few folks are criticising that brief slumps in current form also skew their HI.
One size doesn't fit all, much like everything else.
Life innit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried to make 2 points

1. The PCC rarely reflects the additional difficulty of bad conditions

2. For people like me, whose last 20 recorded scores cover over 2 years (we only mark cards when entering summer competitions) older scores should be excluded because they don't reflect current form.

For example my oldest "last 20" score is on September 2022. For another member, who plays in everything his is June 2024. Most of my good scores are in late 2022 / early 2023 - they don't reflect the way my game has disintegrated since then
The trouble is that you are then in to another calculation when you have fewer than around 16 which will not truly reflect your ability.

Why are you not putting in GP cards on non comp days?

Edit now see you other comments

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's the adapting to current form I don't like.

We all have troughs in form, sometimes only for a week or so, sometimes longer, but our ability doesn't change. If our handicap goes up during a trough then as I see it we're playing off too high a handicap as our ability hasn't altered.
This is one of the negative points I raised in the survey as well. I think it's too quick to give you a couple of shots back, just because you're not playing quite as well as one or two rounds from a year ago. Of course, they fully intend it to represent recent form rather than your best ability which is what the old system did. I'm not sure that's a good thing since form can change overnight.

The Fader

Visit site
No system will ever be perfect. UHS wasn't and neither is WHS.

A couple of things that I would like to see introduced to improve WHS

1. Discount all scores over 12 months old. If that means you don't have 20 scores - so be it. There is already a matrix in place to deal with that scenario. It might also encourage players to submit more cards rather than relying on cards from ages ago.
2. If your most recent round is "a counter" your HI cannot go up even if you have a better score dropping off. Sort of like a hybrid buffer zone. Nothing more frustrating than playing fairly decent golf relative to your handicap (which you must have done for it be be counting) and getting a HI increase.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

1. Discount all scores over 12 months old. If that means you don't have 20 scores - so be it. There is already a matrix in place to deal with that scenario. It might also encourage players to submit more cards rather than relying on cards from ages ago.
2. If your most recent round is "a counter" your HI cannot go up even if you have a better score dropping off. Sort of like a hybrid buffer zone. Nothing more frustrating than playing fairly decent golf relative to your handicap (which you must have done for it be be counting) and getting a HI increase.
Both good points 😊

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Don't know how well 1 would work I know people including friends who haven't put in a card since WHS started and just use their handicap for friendly fun games.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
As we have had WHS for a while now, I've become more used to it.
I have found my handicap does fluctuate by around 2x shots which doesn't bother me particularly.

But, my main beef is pre WHS when the handicap limit was raised from 28 to 54 (Men)
I've heard all the cobblers about inclusivity, but it is just insanity.
I've lost count of the times this season that I have seen ridiculous scores.
That's nothing to do with WHS
That is people playing off too high a handicap.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As we have had WHS for a while now, I've become more used to it.
I have found my handicap does fluctuate by around 2x shots which doesn't bother me particularly.

But, my main beef is pre WHS when the handicap limit was raised from 28 to 54 (Men)
I've heard all the cobblers about inclusivity, but it is just insanity.
I've lost count of the times this season that I have seen ridiculous scores.
That's nothing to do with WHS
That is people playing off too high a handicap.
I agree that the upper limit is silly, I'd have it capped at 36 since that's two shots a hole. But on the flipside of that, I rarely ever see any males smashing tournaments out of the park from a 40s ish handicap, so it's only a matter of personal opinion really. The majority of members in that range are either females, or males that I've never seen enter a comp anyway.

sjw

Visit site
Well I voted pretty favourably on every question, apart from I think the system is slightly too easy to manipulate. I never played when the old system was in place but it does seem that most people just like a moan about it. I really don't see much of a problem.

NearHull

Visit site
Most apart the pendants amongst us all know what happens with most swindles etc
I think that assumption is totally incorrect. You are submitting false scores and they all should be deleted. Golf is a self regulating game , you and your complicit partners are not self regulating. We do not get to choose which rules to break.

NearHull

Visit site
In what way are we submitted false scores 🤷‍♂️
If I have understood your previous posts, you are submitting individual scores whilst playing a team game outside of a formal competition.

I added the phrase ‘outside of formal competitions’ to acknowledge the exceptional scores of over 42pts/6 under that are submitted from 4 BBB Strokeplay formal competitions.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
If I have understood your previous posts, you are submitting individual scores whilst playing a team game outside of a formal competition.

I added the phrase ‘outside of formal competitions’ to acknowledge the exceptional scores of over 42pts/6 under that are submitted from 4 BBB Strokeplay formal competitions.

We are submitting scores when playing swindles which are mainly individual stablefords with a side 4bbb bet

NearHull

Visit site
We are submitting scores when playing swindles which are mainly individual stablefords with a side 4bbb bet
There are better informed people on here than I, who understand these issues more than I do, but can you be sure that no one gained any advantage from 4BBB pairs tactics ( ie playing out of turn to view a putt line/pace)

But I’m 90% sure that the wording in the Rules of Handicaps specifically states that individual scores cannot be submitted when playing team games. I will research tomorrow if I have time.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
There are better informed people on here than I, who understand these issues more than I do, but can you be sure that no one gained any advantage from 4BBB pairs tactics ( ie playing out of turn to view a putt line/pace)

But I’m 90% sure that the wording in the Rules of Handicaps specifically states that individual scores cannot be submitted when playing team games. I will research tomorrow if I have time.

Playing out of turn ? We always play ready golf

There are a lot of people playing in swindles and general play putting cards in that will have side bets using 4bbb whether that’s matchplay or stableford etc