Official WHS Survey

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Tried to make 2 points

1. The PCC rarely reflects the additional difficulty of bad conditions

2. For people like me, whose last 20 recorded scores cover over 2 years (we only mark cards when entering summer competitions) older scores should be excluded because they don't reflect current form.

For example my oldest "last 20" score is on September 2022. For another member, who plays in everything his is June 2024. Most of my good scores are in late 2022 / early 2023 - they don't reflect the way my game has disintegrated since then.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
2. For people like me, whose last 20 recorded scores cover over 2 years (we only mark cards when entering summer competitions) older scores should be excluded because they don't reflect current form.

For example my oldest "last 20" score is on September 2022. For another member, who plays in everything his is June 2024. Most of my good scores are in late 2022 / early 2023 - they don't reflect the way my game has disintegrated since then.
But isn't that one of the things that handicap committees are for?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Reflecting current form.

How did that claim ever come about? Who was responsible for it?

Even if you were able to hand in 4 or 5 scores per week your HI would not reflect current form. It would reflect your form from last month.

But handicap adjustments are more applicable to recent scoring than the old system on the whole, I believe. Not brilliant, but a bit better.

wjemather

Visit site
Reflecting current form.

How did that claim ever come about? Who was responsible for it?

Even if you were able to hand in 4 or 5 scores per week your HI would not reflect current form. It would reflect your form from last month.

But handicap adjustments are more applicable to recent scoring than the old system on the whole, I believe. Not brilliant, but a bit better.
The aim is to reflect demonstrated ability; current form is just one contributing factor.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Tried to make 2 points

1. The PCC rarely reflects the additional difficulty of bad conditions

Why don’t you put scores in outside competitions then to help your HI reflect your ability now

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Because all the games we play are 4BBB matches & doing this would just slow things down & annoy my partners. It's what we've been doing for 50 years & we aren't going to change now.

But the system is there for you to put cards in 🤷‍♂️ swindles up and down the land play 4bbb but putt out and put cards in - why would it slow things down

If you aren’t going to change then it’s very hard to grumble then

The system is there allowing you to have more recent scores as counting towards your handicap- you are making the choice not to use it

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The aim is to reflect demonstrated ability; current form is just one contributing factor.
Was the "reflecting current form" notion a thing made up by people who wanted to then knock it down, just to give WHS a bad name. It has seemed that way to me.

I did have the experience of winning a club competition this year and receive a 0.5 increase to HI.
My 5-over par off the yellows (PCC of +1 so equivalent to 4-over) was 5 shots worse than a 1-over par off the whites that dropped off.
My demonstrated ability had not changed in the slightest. But playing on a wet and windy day in May was nothing like the perfect conditions on a day the previous summer.

There are bigger upward and downward adjustments for single rounds than before. This is not necessarily a criticism.
But claims of "current form" and/or "demonstrated ability" being reflected should not be stressed too ardently.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
But the system is there for you to put cards in 🤷‍♂️ swindles up and down the land play 4bbb but putt out and put cards in - why would it slow things down

If you aren’t going to change then it’s very hard to grumble then

The system is there allowing you to have more recent scores as counting towards your handicap- you are making the choice not to use it
I'm not grumbling. If you read my post I'd be happy for all the scores older than a year, say, not to count. "Why would it slow things down?" Do I really need to explain?

wjemather

Visit site
Was the "reflecting current form" notion a thing made up by people who wanted to then knock it down, just to give WHS a bad name. It has seemed that way to me.
It wasn't made up as such, but context is everything. It was noted by the authorities that WHS does reflect current form to an extent, and does so much more than any previous system in GB&I ever did.

It's for handicap committees to ensure HIs do reflect demonstrated ability (not just current form) through the normal review process.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
My only comment was around the PCC not being fit for purpose to reflect variable weather and course conditions. I think CSS in the CONGU system much better reflected the variability in course difficulty.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, there does indeed seem to be a lightbulb moment coming at USGA and R&A towers. Survey just released for our thoughts on the system. Fill yer boots

Thanks for the link.
There seems to be two camps some like it some hate it.
I’m in the latter after seeing what results it produces and entry to our comps are down by a lot.

“ not worth entering now I have no chance “ is the most common comment.

Be interesting to see what if anything comes of it.