Official WHS Survey

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
How does the club have this information? It's not possible for a club to know everything about who's playing and when and therefore not its responsibility.

I can take a visitor out on my course and, yes, the club will know that I signed him in but they don't need to know who else was playing if there are a couple more members with me. It's not 1984.
Well that's down to your club, at both my clubs the tee sheets are correct, if three folks go out, there will be three on the tee sheet, neither club has changed since covid, and it's a good thing, if you're playing you check in, helps others to judge when they should play too. Nothing worse than booking in behind a one, to find it's a 4ball

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I think I've responded in kind to a similar statement earlier in this thread. I know of nobody, absolutely nobody, who has willingly paid over their comp entry fee and then gone and played, with the intention of not trying to play their best golf or even, as is being insinuated, actively plays badly.
......at the start. Once their score is farts, many folks throw in the towel, I'd say very few deliberately, but downing tools from their best efforts is very common, especially now that a buffer zone has gone, there is no incentive to grind it out, "it'll be one of my 12" (which of course it might not be)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I've responded in kind to a similar statement earlier in this thread. I know of nobody, absolutely nobody, who has willingly paid over their comp entry fee and then gone and played, with the intention of not trying to play their best golf or even, as is being insinuated, actively plays badly.
Yes .
Why would you when you can do it for free with a GP card.?

IanMac

Visit site
Yes, but do they continue to try their best when they're out of it after 8 holes?

IanMac

Visit site
That’s where the buffer zone came in you still had a target.

Now if it’s not challenging your eighth counting card it dosnt really matter.
It’s just number 20?
Add to that the fact that a lot of us think the system is just wrong and handicaps are effectively meaningless. Fight, what fight?

If you want to know how good a player someone is I'd suggest you ask them what they played off prior to WHS.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, how would the player’s club know if the attester was present on the day? Only the club itself has this information.
As mentioned earlier on this thread we had 3 instances this week alone of visitors entering GP scores on the EG App on our course with attesters not present - we informed the clubs so they can fulfil their role and take educative is disciplinary action as necessary.
Two weeks ago we had an iGolfer putting a card in despite not being present - we informed iGolf.
I suggest your committee pay attention to the Score Listing by Day report so they can be part of WHS as a whole.
I believe they can and do.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, but do they continue to try their best when they're out of it after 8 holes?

......at the start. Once their score is farts, many folks throw in the towel, I'd say very few deliberately, but downing tools from their best efforts is very common, especially now that a buffer zone has gone, there is no incentive to grind it out, "it'll be one of my 12" (which of course it might not be)
I'm sorry....but my experiences of playing in comps over the last 25 years does not match with the sentiments you are expressing.

You simply never know when you are "out of it"...you don't know how the rest of the field is doing.

With the new system, your current "bad" round might not become part of your best 8 immediately...but it may possibly do so later on, if good scores drop off your last 20...so the incentive is there to minimise any future damage and keep focused on your game.

D-S

Visit site
How does the club have this information? It's not possible for a club to know everything about who's playing and when and therefore not its responsibility.

I can take a visitor out on my course and, yes, the club will know that I signed him in but they don't need to know who else was playing if there are a couple more members with me. It's not 1984.
If a score is attested by someone who is not a member nor a visitor who has been signed in, either the club is owed a green fee or the score should be questioned. You can see who the attester is as their name is on the App.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Add to that the fact that a lot of us think the system is just wrong and handicaps are effectively meaningless. Fight, what fight?

If you want to know how good a player someone is I'd suggest you ask them what they played off prior to WHS.
Then overnight I went to 4.1 when WHS came in.
Twelve +0.1 disappearing might have had something to do with that, though.

Currently 4.6
Possibly because I'm 4 years older and in my 60s.

D-S

Visit site
In answer to your questions
1 - it was a gross 70 off the whites (CR of those tees 71.6). It was the players 3rd ever score - 1st was 63 at Tickenham the week before, the 2nd was 72 at Blackwell the day before. We marked the score as matchplay which means it no longer counts as a qualifier but remains on his record. Subsequently he has put a 71 in from a course somewhere in Hampshire.
2 - I believe as yet we have no response from iGolf, however as above he is still putting cards in.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
With the new system, your current "bad" round might not become part of your best 8 immediately...but it may possibly do so later on, if good scores drop off your last 20.
I try in vain to impress this on some of my mates when struggling in a comp. They don’t “give up” like the subject being discussed but get down hearted and chunter “at least it’s non-counting”.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm sorry....but my experiences of playing in comps over the last 25 years does not match with the sentiments you are expressing.

You simply never know when you are "out of it"...you don't know how the rest of the field is doing.

With the new system, your current "bad" round might not become part of your best 8 immediately...but it may possibly do so later on, if good scores drop off your last 20...so the incentive is there to minimise any future damage and keep focused on your game.
Well my experience of 40 years trumps yours, as a member at 7 clubs around the UK, and in gawd knows how many opens over the years. I'd guess more than a thousand

But to the point, WHS is 4 years olds not 25, how the hell does your 25.years translate into a system that doesn't exist?

What I do know from my time.in England, clubs are very insular, there's very little cross contamination, opens barely exist, you don't have the mix of experience we do in Scotland. I take you opinion on this with a pinch of nothing

Last edited by a moderator:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If a score is attested by someone who is not a member nor a visitor who has been signed in, either the club is owed a green fee or the score should be questioned. You can see who the attester is as their name is on the App.
*Marker. It's *******.marker!!!!

Can we stop this "attester" crap, that's purely down to dotgolf making up their own terminology and the four home unions not having a clue how to big test an app. It drives me bloody spare

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Well, I'll ATTEST to the fact that Golf Empire is bulging with Opens at English Courses.🤣🤣🤣

I have to play with some else to get my card AttXXXed! 🤣🤣🤣

Can a marker ATTEST your card or do they just mark it?
Golf empire really isn't..the difference is vast, you have almost no individual opens at all in England

You have to play with someone else to get your card *marked*

A marker *marks*.your card, before dotgolf software arrived nobody had even heard of an "attester"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🍲🤣🤣🍲🍲🍲🍲🦵🦵🦶🦶🦻🦻👀👁️👄🧠🧠🫁🫁

That ok?