Official WHS Survey

wjemather

Visit site
Quite an incredible revision of history.

I asked for the trophies these section one players won, you've trotted out medal rounds presumably? Not a single trophy
Isn't it funny that when one round pots are up for grabs, a section 3 guy always "finds his game"
#512: "not one single one-round comp won by a single digit player this year or last"
Limiting analysis to half a dozen trophies is too small a sample size to be of much use, hence my look at all Saturday comps (and the one Sunday medal), as this gives a much better picture. But even then, about (or just over) half is not almost all.

I'm only seeing one exceptional score in (what I presume to be) the trophy comps from a division 3 player, with their next best score being 4 under net? Not exactly out of sight for anyone.

Your Sunday medal (there's only one all year) another example of your lies, not a trophy round and won by a section 2 player. Brilliant stuff Mr weather 🤣
I said the leading division one player had the winning nett score (i.e. they either won or tied) in those comps. I did not evaluate any countbacks.

Last edited:

IanMac

Visit site
Am confused.. What would the 1 capper be off on the old system then? Presumably around 3 also.. As he would consistently be hitting 3,4 or 5 over par each of those 20rnds..Or you making out he's in the buffer everytime and therefore still off 1?..
Yes, he would be in the buffer. Although my point is that awarding a net double bogey for handicap purposes when a players fails to complete a hole is highly suspect and is creating artificially high handicaps amongst inconsistent players.

Another example. I realise these are extreme but I think they make a point that should be considered.

A player always plays 9 of the holes in level par but blows the other 9 holes and fails to finish them. He therefore gets a 27 handicap and becomes half of an unbeatable 4BBB pair.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Playing Handicaps of all our individual strokeplay board comps (trophies) winners for 2024,

20, 9, 21, 18, 7, 16, 24, 16, 15, 21.

My best round of the year was when the 24 handicapper won.
I did the back 9 in an amazing 2-under par gross for 41 points total.
I came 4th.
Winner was 17 over par gross for 43 points.
2nd place 15 handicap and 3rd place 18 handicap - 43 points for each of them as well.

I got the lowest gross prize. I did tie for that with the bloke who came 10th, but I had the better back 9. We both got our HI down to give us even less chance of winning a comp.

What a marvellous detailed anecdote - though I say it myself. ;)

(Edit: My conclusion is that there is very little chance for players with HI below 5.0 to win a board comp)

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Are your 'medal rounds' not also 'one round pots'?
What sort of scores are winning these comps?
Is it the same player(s) winning all the time?
Are your 'trophy' comps matchplay or strokeplay?
No.
One Round Pots/Trophys would be majors or board comps in England.
None of this is matchplay.
We have 14 + handicaps.
We have another 59 that would be old stylee Cat 1 of 5.4 or less

Not a single round, even multi-round medals has been won by what would be a UHS category one. We average +/- 150 entrants, category 3 makes up on average 20% of the field

Of those in single figures, the two 6 handicap winners were guys who'd quickly bounced from 3 & 4 respectively to 6, and are now back down. As per earlier in the thread, form is temporary, underlying skill is always there

Below is the actual analysis I've just done, hopefully old know-it-all has better figures than me?

1728147895685.png

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No.
One Round Pots/Trophys would be majors or board comps in England.
None of this is matchplay.
We have 14 + handicaps.
We have another 59 that would be old stylee Cat 1 of 5.4 or less

Not a single round, even multi-round medals has been won by what would be a UHS category one. We average +/- 150 entrants, category 3 makes up on average 20% of the field

Of those in single figures, the two 6 handicap winners were guys who'd quickly bounced from 3 & 4 respectively to 6, and are now back down. As per earlier in the thread, form is temporary, underlying skill is always there

Below is the actual analysis I've just done, hopefully old know-it-all has better figures than me?

View attachment 55261
I don't know what the gross/net scores were but apart from 20 Apr they all look bery tight.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I don't know what the gross/net scores were but apart from 20 Apr they all look bery tight.
You've 8 of 21 being won by 2 or more shots in fields of over 150, and you call that tight? Statistically that is a long way from tight.

You've a massive bias towards the high handicappers who are way under-represented in the field, they always win the trophies, and you don't find anything wrong with that either?

2023 was the same, not a single winner from section 1, I'm sure MJWeather can go through them to prove his point tho :ROFLMAO:

Another point, through covid there was near a net 50-something every week when it was app entries only, for 2022 the club reverted to normal scorecards, in those three years there's only been (that I recall) one further score sub 60 (par 69)

wjemather

Visit site
You've 8 of 21 being won by 2 or more shots in fields of over 150, and you call that tight? Statistically that is a long way from tight.

You've a massive bias towards the high handicappers who are way under-represented in the field, they always win the trophies, and you don't find anything wrong with that either?

2023 was the same, not a single winner from section 1...
You've just posted your own list which shows this not to be true. Looks like they had even less success last year.

Just looking at the final two trophies for 2023, same ones you highlighted for this year, and...
  • 23-Sept: division 1 winner
  • 16-Sept: division 1 winner
...although they'd both be division 2 this year with the boundary changes.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You made what I assume to be a typo (see #525).

Anyone on HowDidiDo can verify the results.
Oh I've made ONE typo? Quite possibly, I've just knocked that out on my laptop, so flicking back and forth between a spreadsheet and HDID, so possibly.

You however have made a plethora of incorrect statements, some folks would call them lies, I couldn't possibly say

Anyone on HDID can verify results? I can't believe it, jeepers, didn't know that. Seeing as I play a *** load of opens every year, and most clubs here use HDID, I've missed that 🤣🤣💩💩💩

Stop digging you're a joke now

C7usk

Visit site
Well hopefully, if things are going to be changed, ( not sure they will be) they do their best to appease people's concerns....
It's obvious that lower cappers are not happy and most mid to high seem to like it... I still like the WHS better than the old system but agree that it can be improved...
There are several already discussed ways to improve it, just limiting the rate at which people increase their hcps should appease most... Trying to get a happy medium is almost impossible though...

AussieKB

Visit site
I would suggest that Covid has revived interest in the game rather than the WHS. The revival existed in countries that already had similar systems and predated the implementation of the WHS which was delayed because of Covid.
Interest in competitions at our club has notably declined since the introduction of the cheaters charter.
We had this OZ HS long before you and club's were struggling to retain member's, when COVID came along football was banned and all those people went and played golf, a FACT.