Off the tee advice

Idlenorth1

Head Pro
Visit site
Good evening,
I will try and keep this as short as possible as having a few issues off the tee, I normally hit driver (g20 tour stiff shaft) and can generally hit 260-280 with a draw but struggle to keep in play and can end up blocking myself with the next shot.
Today I hit driver off 13 tees and only had 5 clear second shots with a mixture of in the tress, bunkers or out of bounds.

I do feel the distance I am getting is hurting me and I am thinking maybe a 3/4/5 wood with a x-stiff shaft off the tee would be more beneficial, I have a fast swing and have to slow myself down or can end up as a big slice if I try and smash one (this is very rare nowadays) when I do get it right it is a great shot and was on for longest drive prize today until beaten by the last group.
I must add the distances I can hit it are not exaggerated and are not the be all and end for me, I would be happy to lose distance for more accuracy.

I have now gone up to 20.5 after today and is an upwardly worrying trend

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What's your bad shot. Left or right? I'd be getting a lesson and maybe a go on a launch monitor and making sure a tour stiff shaft is what you need. I'm not sure it's helping but I'd be looking at what causes the bad shots first

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would suggest if the draw is putting you in that much trouble it's more of a pull/ hook than a draw!

I class my left to right as a fade only if it's stays in play! If not it's a slice!!!;)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
OP when you say you have a fast swing speed, based on your distance it isn't overly fast and definitely not going into the realms of X-Stiff shafts. Is your distance where the ball lands or where it finishes? Given that most fairways now will be having a decengt amount of rolls if the ball is drawing / hooking it will get a good 30 / 40 yards of roll. I'm no expert but I would guestimate that you SS is aorund 90 - 95 MPH not even a stiff shaft for most golfers.

Maybe work on your tempo, and course management. Do you really need driver on 13 holes, or are you taking driver on everything except par 3's and very short par 4's. Think about the course from the green back to the tee, rather than the other way around. Get your distances for each clubs sorted and plot your way around, leaving yourself a full wedge or short iron into the greens. Even on a long par 4 leave yourself upto a 7 iron, much more chance of keeping the ball in play knowing you can take a rescue or 3 wood off the tee. Realistically you should only need driver on around 4 or 5 holes.

If you go down the club buying route, get fitted by a decent fitter who can give you a shaft to suit your swing rather than an off the shelf shaft which may not be the best for you.