Odyssey Inserts

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
For anyone that’s familiar with putter inserts, I would be grateful if you could share your own opinion on Odysseys inserts and how they’re comparable to one another? If you loathe inserts then that’s fine, but I’m really interested in peoples thoughts of one versus another in terms of feel, sound etc.

So, for the following;

White Ice vs White Hot Pro vs Metal X vs Works

Cheers!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The White Hot pro insert I have in my V-Line is my absolute favourite.

I had it previously in a 2CS and loved it.

The White Ice is a firmer feeling insert than the WHP.

Works insert isn't a favourite of mine. It felt slightly firmer than the WHP with a (very slight) click.

I have little to no experience with the Metal X, but having said that, if it's a Metal X on top of a WHP in the Works line, I'd probably not like it.

Horses for courses I guess.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
when Ive had putters with inserts, i always struggled with distance control. but since moving to a milled face my putting has improved no end.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've had a White Hot for donkey's years, and love the feel off it. I dabbled with a Scotty X for a couple of months but didn't like the way it pinged off the face, especially on long putts. At the end of the day, its just a feel thing and because I've had the same putter for eon's everything else feels 'wrong.'

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just changed from the white hot to the Fusion RX (Works) and much prefer the (perceived) quicker roll off the face

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
White Hot is the insert for me, nice and soft.

I have a Metal X (Tri-Ball) that I picked up in a moment of desperation and I use it in winter if I'm playing a course where the greens could pass for a passable lawn. It is a heavy putter but the metal insert really increases the speed off the face. Like a lot.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A general question. Are they interchangeable? I would have thought they should be, but a PP of mine reckons the inserts are only sold in the US?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been through my fair selection of Odyssey inserts. Currently have a White Ice and like it. Whether it has any difference, I'm not sure!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's such a personal thing at the end of the day. And then, IMHO, you have to take into account the ball you are playing as the feel off the face will be different depending on the make and model of ball.

I don't believe they are interchangeable. I think MacGregor did that a while ago and there is another manufacturer who I forget who also offered this but I don't think the Odyssey ones are.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've used White Hot XG and White Hot Pro, and I think they are very similar.
If pushed I'd say the Pro was a touch firmer, but that may be my feeling because the putter head with that insert in was slightly larger.

I had a Metal-X for 1 round. Horrible, made it feel like putting with a rock.

Now using a milled face, and although I prefer it, there isn't much in it imo for feel. Certainly wouldn't be upset at using an insert again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Gone from an Odyssey milled face to a metal insert on the Works putter. The latter felt a little harsher to start with but it wasn't an off putting feeling and didn't take long to adjust to. However it's a personal preference and you just need to play around with a few different inserts to see how they feel in your hands