Odd bunker query !

Chrisbc

Visit site
A 80+ age lady has asked if she could get a free drop out of a couple of bunkers where the sides of the bunkers are so steep she can’t physically get in or out ?
I guess it’s probably something the green staff may need to address or is her only option is to take a drop out of the bunker and incur a penalty shot ??
Any ideas please

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately no!
We had a problem like this so we put steps in the bunkers.
But it created a problem where you drop if they interfere.
Certain pin positions could not be used due to the fact there was nowhere to drop inside the bunker.

You can drop out with a two shot penalty.
At 80 yrs of age I would think it wouldn’t bother her really.

Newnsy

Visit site
Surely common sense takes precedent over the rules here? If I was playing with the above lady I would happily jump in the the bunker and move the ball away from abnormal course conditions/ dangerous animal etc to make sure she got a free drop!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
You can't really do anything for a comp, unless the green staff put in steps to make access easier, it's a penalty drop. Any other situation, you can do what you like.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Her only option is a penalty drop. She does not need to recover the ball as the rules allow a ball to be substituted in this situation (in case her player partners have similar problems)

Within the rules she does have the facility to use any aid to enable her to get in and out of the bunkers. Prior to covid, due to my problems, I used the rake as a support. If she carries a walking stick she would be entitled to use that.