Obtaining handicap without membership

The Fader

Visit site
and the first one comes out of the woodwork.....

The first one of what? Someone with a contrary view?

Perhaps a reasoned argument as to why I might be wrong would be more helpful than cheap sniping!

Why shouldn't clubs put their interests and those of their members first.

My comment had nothing to do with handicaps.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The first one of what? Someone with a contrary view?

Perhaps a reasoned argument as to why I might be wrong would be more helpful than cheap sniping!

Why shouldn't clubs put their interests and those of their members first.

My comment had nothing to do with handicaps.

Weve been over it enough times, seriously. What are the clubs so scared of, that their product isnt actually that appealing that is going to see members resigning all over the place just because they can get a handicap elsewhere? If thats the case theyll soon be gone anyway. Thought golf clubs were booming and all had waiting lists and joining fees again!

You said playing opens was a perk of club membership? Says who and since when? Most clubs historically have run opens to advertise their product and look to attract new members yet suddenly want to move the goalposts when it suits.

Might as well address the club members dont cheat or manipulate handicaps but non members clearly all would be as well whilst were at it. I mean whos going to oversee their handicap and make sure theyre adjusted properly and have an annual review and all the other unfounded arguments that get thrown about too when iGolf is discussed

The Fader

Visit site
Weve been over it enough times, seriously. What are the clubs so scared of, that their product isnt actually that appealing that is going to see members resigning all over the place just because they can get a handicap elsewhere? If thats the case theyll soon be gone anyway. Thought golf clubs were booming and all had waiting lists and joining fees again!

You said playing opens was a perk of club membership? Says who and since when? Most clubs historically have run opens to advertise their product and look to attract new members yet suddenly want to move the goalposts when it suits.

Might as well address the club members dont cheat or manipulate handicaps but non members clearly all would be as well whilst were at it. I mean whos going to oversee their handicap and make sure theyre adjusted properly and have an annual review and all the other unfounded arguments that get thrown about too when iGolf is discussed

Says me!

It's an opinion - that's how forums work!

Just out of interest, before igolf how did non golf club members enter opens without a valid handicap?

Not looking for controversy - just asking a genuine question

Read another thread recently that feels familier.

wjemather

Visit site
You can join Orchardleigh Golf Club in Somerset for a £1 😁 They'll do your handicap too. You dont need to ever play there.
I'd suggest those who do not trust iGolf/OpenPlay/FlexiClub subscribers should be equally concerned about 'members' of Orchardleigh and other clubs offering similar schemes.
Perhaps they also need to be excluded from opens?

D-S

Visit site
I'd suggest those who do not trust iGolf/OpenPlay/FlexiClub subscribers should be equally concerned about 'members' of Orchardleigh and other clubs offering similar schemes.
Perhaps they also need to be excluded from opens?
Is there a list of clubs whose members’ handicaps we should not trust? Otherwise how would clubs know?

wjemather

Visit site
Is there a list of clubs whose members’ handicaps we should not trust? Otherwise how would clubs know?
That's kind of the point - members of officially recognised independent golfer schemes are no less trustworthy and knowledgeable of the rules (and their handicaps no less valid) than club members, yet we frequently see these things levied against them and they are often the main justification given for excluding them from opens.

D-S

Visit site
That's kind of the point - members of officially recognised independent golfer schemes are no less trustworthy and knowledgeable of the rules (and their handicaps no less valid) than club members, yet we frequently see these things levied against them and they are often the main justification given for excluding them from opens.
I‘m surprised that EG aren’t therefore more forceful in their recommendation that iGolfers be included or, better put, not excluded from Club Opens. As inclusivity and access are key watchwords at the moment, not railing against the deliberate exclusion of golfers, with valid handicaps, would seem at odds with a lot of their messaging. If clubs were excluding players from competing in ‘Open’ competitions , with legitimate handicaps, on other grounds they would surely find ways of halting it.