Obtaining handicap without membership

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is getting a recognised handicap, without being a club member, achievable these days?
There are plenty of online handicap sites offering this, but then they’re not likely to play down their own product.
With lots of golfers opting to pay-as-you-go, rather than joining one club, it seems to be something that more people would want.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just a word of warning though, although the igolf is an official EG handicap many clubs aren't allowing holders of an igolf handicap into their opens.

A club round me have started associate memberships whereby you pay circa £100 for membership to their club so you can get a handicap but you then pay the guest rate for your green fee when you play there.

If you're intention is to play a few opens the extra £60 would pay for itself pretty quickly on money saved on full price green fees.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw that, but I wasn’t sure if Golf England was the real deal, or just a company name used to make it look professional.
I live in Wales but that’s not a problem, I can just submit cards when I visit Cornwall and play there.
Thank you, I will sign up for that, as I think they only needed 54 holes to be submitted.

it should be the real deal, but it depends on why you want the handicap. if its to enter open comps then you need to be careful as plenty of clubs are restricting their entry criteria to stop players with an igolf handicap entering by requiring them to also be a club member

if this is the reason you are looking for the handicap, then youre better off finding the cheapest membership you can where you can get a handicap (some arte as cheap as igolf depending on location)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
iGolf is an legitimate site and is good enough to be a handicap to get you on to courses as a pay and play, but as above, not for opens.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
it should be the real deal, but it depends on why you want the handicap. if its to enter open comps then you need to be careful as plenty of clubs are restricting their entry criteria to stop players with an igolf handicap entering by requiring them to also be a club member

if this is the reason you are looking for the handicap, then youre better off finding the cheapest membership you can where you can get a handicap (some arte as cheap as igolf depending on location)

Yeah that kind of was the reason, to enter opens and also for the rare occasions when I may be asked for one (never have been up to now, either in UK or Europe).

This is not a criticism or opinion, simply a question, but why would clubs want to restrict the use of this type of handicap? I thought the whole ethos these days was about making golf more inclusive.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah that kind of was the reason, to enter opens and also for the rare occasions when I may be asked for one (never have been up to now, either in UK or Europe).

This is not a criticism or opinion, simply a question, but why would clubs want to restrict the use of this type of handicap? I thought the whole ethos these days was about making golf more inclusive.

Ultimately its clubs looking after their own interests and believing they are the only ones fit to administer accurate handicaps (obviously igolf members are far more likely to cheat their handicaps then club members if you believe the drivel posted on here at times). What it does is ensure a proportion of golfers who dont want to be tied to one club have to be to have an official handicap and that keeps membership levels higher.

Sadly England golf havent done enough to stop clubs changing their competition entry rules so the clubs will continue to limit the opportunity for using the igolf handicap until it doesnt become worth the paper its written on

D-S

Visit site

They don’t trust the governance of these handicaps and the lack of peer review.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

There's a (possible) misconception that the igolf memberships will encouraging banditry.

The reality is that the ease of entering general play scores means that anyone, affiliated to a club or not, could do this.

However, being affiliated to a club means they could be reported easier I guess.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ultimately its clubs looking after their own interests and believing they are the only ones fit to administer accurate handicaps (obviously igolf members are far more likely to cheat their handicaps then club members if you believe the drivel posted on here at times). What it does is ensure a proportion of golfers who dont want to be tied to one club have to be to have an official handicap and that keeps membership levels higher.

Sadly England golf havent done enough to stop clubs changing their competition entry rules so the clubs will continue to limit the opportunity for using the igolf handicap until it doesnt become worth the paper its written on

I totally understand what you’re saying. Does Golf England have the authority to stop clubs restricting open comp access?

I‘m in this exact position, but tbh the things that put me off joining at this time (I like my local club but it’s fairly expensive, has reintroduced a joining fee, is very tight whereas I like wider fairways, and is muddier than I’d like in winter), outweigh the disadvantage of not being able to play opens.

In principle I’m in favour of clubs (of all types, not just golf) being in charge of their own rules, so no complaints really. I wouldn’t particularly want to play in a comp that I wasn’t welcome in.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I totally understand what you’re saying. Does Golf England have the authority to stop clubs restricting open comp access?

I‘m in this exact position, but tbh the things that put me off joining at this time (I like my local club but it’s fairly expensive, has reintroduced a joining fee, is very tight whereas I like wider fairways, and is muddier than I’d like in winter), outweigh the disadvantage of not being able to play opens.

In principle I’m in favour of clubs (of all types, not just golf) being in charge of their own rules, so no complaints really. I wouldn’t particularly want to play in a comp that I wasn’t welcome in.

they could easily make it mandatory that iGolf handicaps were treated the same as club handicaps but clerly arent prepared to go there

if i was you i would try and find somewhere that offers membership for less than £100 with very little playing rights included (have seen some that offer 3 rounds in the membership which enables you to get your initial handicap) you can then pay a green fee if you want to play there any more and also submit any scores when you play elsewhere as general play scores to keep your handicap up to date

D-S

Visit site

Not sure where you’re based but there are two courses near me that fundamentally offer you membership for the price of the EG and County fees alone, then you pay and play. This is far better than iGolf as you get a ‘proper’ handicap and a County Card. These types of membership are far better and cheaper than iGolf .

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Not sure where you’re based but there are two courses near me that fundamentally offer you membership for the price of the EG and County fees alone, then you pay and play. This is far better than iGolf as you get a ‘proper’ handicap and a County Card. These types of membership are far better and cheaper than iGolf .
He's in Wales.

The Fader

Visit site
Putting perceived banditry to one side (it exists everywhere) I have no problem with clubs restricting
access to their opens to golf club members only.

It is a perk of membership that those who play regularly and support a golf club year round should receive.

If increased numbers of golfers go down the igolf route (or similar) how long will it be before there are fewer clubs in existence and thus
fewer opens to enter.

It's a sensible position for clubs to take for long term self preservation.

I can already hear the cry of "golf for all" and "what about inclusivity" but doing this doesn't restrict anyone playing
It just means they have to play their chosen rounds on non open days.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putting perceived banditry to one side (it exists everywhere) I have no problem with clubs restricting
access to their opens to golf club members only.

It is a perk of membership that those who play regularly and support a golf club year round should receive.

If increased numbers of golfers go down the igolf route (or similar) how long will it be before there are fewer clubs in existence and thus
fewer opens to enter.

It's a sensible position for clubs to take for long term self preservation.

I can already hear the cry of "golf for all" and "what about inclusivity" but doing this doesn't restrict anyone playing
It just means they have to play their chosen rounds on non open days.

and the first one comes out of the woodwork.....

D

Deleted member 17920

Simple answer to this question.

Nope EG can’t dictate to clubs on how they operate open competitions.