Oak Park Golf Club - any reviews

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing [FONT=&quot]Oak Park Golf Club this friday in an event. I have never played there, but I am told they have 2 courses. I have only played two rounds this year so not expecting anything other than a good walk on a course, some craic [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and a few cold beers. But the competitive streak in me wants to know what to look forward to.. [/FONT]

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
Playing Oak Park Golf Club this friday in an event. I have never played there, but I am told they have 2 courses. I have only played two rounds this year so not expecting anything other than a good walk on a course, some craic and a few cold beers. But the competitive streak in me wants to know what to look forward to..

Its a tough track. Holes 10-14 on the woodland are extremely tricky.

The good thing is, with all the sun this weekend, it should be dry.

Let us know how you get on!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Its a tough track. Holes 10-14 on the woodland are extremely tricky.

The good thing is, with all the sun this weekend, it should be dry.

Let us know how you get on!

And that simple fact makes it playable.

I've played it once, a November day many moons ago - was difficult as was so very wet underfoot with leaves covering many fairways so that has rather tainted my view and every course has it days in the gloom :)

But it does have some very nice holes - and a few that are quirky and difficult. It's a lovely setting. Should be nice and a good challenge.

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Without wanting to jinx it.. the 5 day Beebs weather forecast says Friday should be dry while thurs might get some light rain in Farnham. That should freshen up the course rather than have it burn up after more than a week of scorching temperature..

Will report back

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Without wanting to jinx it.. the 5 day Beebs weather forecast says Friday should be dry while thurs might get some light rain in Farnham. That should freshen up the course rather than have it burn up after more than a week of scorching temperature..

Will report back

Aye - glass half full always best when going to play somewhere for first time - the course will need a bit of freshening up and so it will be just tip-top.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The four holes at the top of the course (10-13) are like playing golf in Centreparcs. Crazy hills and slopes. The remainder are short parkland type holes that do get a bit wet in summer. They had the Crown Champion of Champions there in 2014 and it was a farce. Then again, the then-club captain decided to do the hole locations himself but forgot to take out the windmill and clown's mouth to putt through.

Senseicads

Assistant Pro
Visit site
the middle section of holes was very very uphill. I have been glad of buggies everytime I've played here. If it is dry though it is an enjoyable course, although I've only ever played it when the conditions on the course have been average.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too have played there many years ago. It was a horrendous day, the rain was lashing down, but we'd been given the round for free so thought we'd make the most of it. The first few holes were forgettable, there were one or two really nice tree lined holes. We actually skipped 10 - 14 (the holes at the top of the hill) because of the rain, the final couple of holes were nice.

Playing in the pouring rain means I don't have the fondest of memories of the course. But I think that was the weather's fault!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I too have played there many years ago. It was a horrendous day, the rain was lashing down, but we'd been given the round for free so thought we'd make the most of it. The first few holes were forgettable, there were one or two really nice tree lined holes. We actually skipped 10 - 14 (the holes at the top of the hill) because of the rain, the final couple of holes were nice.

Playing in the pouring rain means I don't have the fondest of memories of the course. But I think that was the weather's fault!

This is the gist of it. In good weather and a dry period it most probably very nice, but I have only played it when it was very wet and in these circumstances it suffers by comparison with other courses in the area that drain and dry up quickly. Should be nice at the moment and - as mentioned - it's in a lovely setting.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played there earlier the week.. First of all, have to thank the generosity of the organizers for the game and hospitality. Good day out
1) Course is interesting, tight in places
2) Front 9 have good holes but dont say i remember any of them.
3) 10-14 are a bit of a disgrace made worse by grass cuttings left on the course in front of the greens.
4) Some are mickey mouse holes - esp a P4 with a high tee-box down a hill and then second shot is also a partially blind right hand down another slope.
5) Winter rules in play still - strange considering we had about 5 days of scorching summer.
6) It is not funny when you hit it down the fairway or coming short of the greens and then spend 5 mins hunting for the ball under all the grass cuttings. Bit like playing in field
7) The longest drive was on the 17th. It is slightly uphill and then it goes downhill to the left. When we got to the 17th, the longest drive was at the too of the hill. I assumed that the fairway continued down and straight. I hit my Sunday best sailing past the marker and looking like it would go another 20-30y. So imagine my dispair when we went up there and realised that the fairway cuts back and I might have sailed it. OB for hitting the ball straight on the longest drive hole...

in terms of scoring, shot 22 points. Very happy with it considering I dont play much but not happy as some of the blobs came from losing balls in the middle of the fairway. The other 3 members and the group behind us were all moaning about the course condition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played there earlier the week.. First of all, have to thank the generosity of the organizers for the game and hospitality. Good day out
1) Course is interesting, tight in places
2) Front 9 have good holes but dont say i remember any of them.
3) 10-14 are a bit of a disgrace made worse by grass cuttings left on the course in front of the greens.
4) Some are mickey mouse holes - esp a P4 with a high tee-box down a hill and then second shot is also a partially blind right hand down another slope.
5) Winter rules in play still - strange considering we had about 5 days of scorching summer.
6) It is not funny when you hit it down the fairway or coming short of the greens and then spend 5 mins hunting for the ball under all the grass cuttings. Bit like playing in field
7) The longest drive was on the 17th. It is slightly uphill and then it goes downhill to the left. When we got to the 17th, the longest drive was at the too of the hill. I assumed that the fairway continued down and straight. I hit my Sunday best sailing past the marker and looking like it would go another 20-30y. So imagine my dispair when we went up there and realised that the fairway cuts back and I might have sailed it. OB for hitting the ball straight on the longest drive hole...

in terms of scoring, shot 22 points. Very happy with it considering I dont play much but not happy as some of the blobs came from losing balls in the middle of the fairway. The other 3 members and the group behind us were all moaning about the course condition.

That's a disappointing assessment - but in truth it does not surprise me that much.