Not so Swinger!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been struggling recently for some consistancy so put the swing on camera to see if I could notice anything so thought I'd give you guys a chance to let rip. I know I have to a few of you!

6 Irons

From behind - Shots @ 1.13, 3.49 and 6.20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZEc9oXaz7Y

From the side - Shots @ 1.28, 4.52 and 7.56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_UIa7hKvM

Since I took this I have been trying to cut the backswing shorter which means the follow through isn't so big but still think there is something going wrong which needs changing.

Let me know what you think guys if you get the chance.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll tell you in about an hour....after I've seen the first swing :D :D ;)

It was the first time messing about with the Slo-Mo Bob. I did put the shot times on there to help.
Need to get some proper editing packages to trim the shots down.

You might learn something Bob so it maybe worth the wait! :p

Sorry mate! :eek:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's ok, it's just my slow connection speed.
What do you think of your hip turn on the backswing?...and your left hand on the grip?...and your left heel at impact?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's ok, it's just my slow connection speed.
What do you think of your hip turn on the backswing?...and your left hand on the grip?...and your left heel at impact?

I try to resist with my lower half and hips as I feel this helps to keep a good stable base for the swing. I think it helps me keep balance as I have been known to hit the ball at times. Not sure what is to be gained through a bigger turn.

Grip... well, it ain't the prettiest thing but I feel comfortable with it. Having said that it never looks too bad from above but does make me cringe a bit on video. Do you think it would be more suited to a sledgehammer Bob?? I would have said that the right hand was more out of place though but possibly due to the strength of the left.

Never really paid too much attention to the left heel Bob. Not too sure what to make of that now you mention it!

I know the foot moves a good amount but never realised it was into and during impact. The overall height through the swing is pretty good so i never looked too much down there. Do you think that movement could be troublesome?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm no expert and having witnessed first hand the distance you can hit the ball I don't realy feel qualified to comment but,, there looks to be a bit of an out to in swing line on your downswing and your hands look a bit too far away from your body as you get to the impact position.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My concerns would be your direction control.
I like to see the left foot stay where it is so you can hit against your left side, but with your strong grip and lack of hip turn on the backswing I would expect to see the shot start left

Here's a guy who does it quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W4z4VSZpxk

Cheers Bob, I'll check that link in a little bit. Can't get to a proper PC atm.
Would you look to work on all of the things being discussed or do you think that by keep the left foot planted it could be a reliable movement?

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert and having witnessed first hand the distance you can hit the ball I don't realy feel qualified to comment but,, there looks to be a bit of an out to in swing line on your downswing and your hands look a bit too far away from your body as you get to the impact position.

Interesting couple of points Nick. Was having a good look at the swing plane myself.
Will have an even better look at the hand position at impact too, never even thought about that!
Many thanks for the imput mate, I'll let you know when i've had a good look.

If I can hit it a good distance with my swing, there is hope for us all!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 2p's worth:

Lack of hip turn on backswing stops the shoulders turning properly. Note at top that shoulders haven't turned through 90 degs and the hips haven't travelled/turned much at all. Good to turn the hips a bit more to support a fuller shoulder turn. The Rory example given is excellent.

Because of the above the arms take over turning in the second half of the backswing leading to the arms being flatfish across the body and the hands being lowish at top. The fallout on the downswing is a steeper plane, slightly out to in, leading to a pull type shot.

Impact is ok, with left foot already mentioned above. A very exaggerated finish with uber shoulder and hip turn! A contrast to the backswing!

Grip..as above.

Hope that's useful. :cool: :)

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no expert Steve, but i think you swing better with your cowboy hat on. :D :D :D

It helps cover up the thinning area on top too Richard!!

Don't worry though, I am still wearing it nearly all the time and will be until I get my hair transplant.

I think you are better with the ball below your feet. About 2 ft should do it.

There just isn't enough ditches out there Murph. ;)

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't talk to long drive winners on this forum ;)

I wish I could say it was just a lucky shot to make you feel better James!!

It was the best 3 wood I hit all day though.

Thanks for all the tips Bob and everyone. Been looking at a few things and trying some things out. Hopefully my target H/C will be more in sight in the near future!!