Northumberland golf

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not my thread, but thought I'd add to it to help the searching for future generations...

Just back from 4 days in Northumberland. Very enjoyable.

Stayed:
Seahouses.
Rented a house for 4. Decent amount of accommodation available. Plenty of food outlets, pubs etc. Nice waterfront fof a wander about. Was a good base (20-30 minutes drive) to our various rounds.

Played :
Seahouses (on arrival, so needed somewhere nearby and cheap). Was good value. Some nice views, decent enough but with a lot of criss crossing and fairway sharing. Ideal for a quick warmup or as an evening 9/12 holes after playing elsewhere.

Dunstanburgh. Really enjoyed this. Fabulous value, and bookable at weekends which can be tricky on an away trip. In great condition (it's been wet all spring, so fairways and greens immaculate). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the castle par 3 was my least favourite hole!. Great crab salad and generally good catering. Friendly staff.

Foxton hall. Nice change of pace. Well maintained, but the semi is too long. If you're looking for balls all day, then the mower needs to drop an inch imho. Again, sea views but none of the holes are links - it's a farmland track (!). Says Harry colt, but didnt feel like it.

Goswick. A real step up in class. Great links track. Was a little busy, but moved along reasonably well. Maybe a bit too serious for my liking - not the course, but the other players on the course. It felt a bit like a library with a few dirty looks from 3 fairways away for having a bit if a chat with playing partners.

all-in-all, it was a great success, and the area got a big thumbs up from all of us. We normally go to east Scotland at this time of year, but Northumberland offers a similar vibe but at way less money grabbing prices than further North. I would say that that all aspects of a golf trip are between 25-30% cheaper than Scotland. I guess that the monied international travellers haven't found their way here (yet).

Considering a teeside tour next year (hartlepool, seaton carew, redcar), to see how it compares.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Not my thread, but thought I'd add to it to help the searching for future generations...

Stayed:
Seahouses.
Rented a house for 4. Decent amount of accommodation available. Plenty of food outlets, pubs etc. Nice waterfront fof a wander about. Was a good base (20-30 minutes drive) to our various rounds.

Played :
Seahouses (on arrival, so needed somewhere nearby and cheap). Was good value. Some nice views, decent enough but with a lot of criss crossing and fairway sharing. Ideal for a quick warmup or as an evening 9/12 holes after playing elsewhere.

Dunstanburgh. Really enjoyed this. Fabulous value, and bookable at weekends which can be tricky on an away trip. In great condition (it's been wet all spring, so fairways and greens immaculate). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the castle par 3 was my least favourite hole!. Great crab salad and generally good catering. Friendly staff.

Foxton hall. Nice change of pace. Well maintained, but the semi is too long. If you're looking for balls all day, then the mower needs to drop an inch imho. Again, sea views but none of the holes are links - it's a farmland track (!). Says Harry colt, but didnt feel like it.

Goswick. A real step up in class. Great links track. Was a little busy, but moved along reasonably well. Maybe a bit too serious for my liking - not the course, but the other players on the course. It felt a bit like a library with a few dirty looks from 3 fairways away for having a bit if a chat with playing partners.

all-in-all, it was a great success, and the area got a big thumbs up from all of us. We normally go to east Scotland at this time of year, but Northumberland offers a similar vibe but at way less money grabbing prices than further North. I would say that that all aspects of a golf trip are between 25-30% cheaper than Scotland. I guess that the monied international travellers haven't found their way here (yet).

Considering a teeside tour next year (hartlepool, seaton carew, redcar), to see how it compares.
Hartlepool, Redcar and especially Seaton Carew are well worth a visit and the locals are very welcoming.

If you fancy fitting in a 4th venue, happy to host your group at Seaham on a freebie.👍🏻

Springveldt

Visit site

Stayed:
Seahouses.

Played :

I might be biased but I think Northumberland might offer the best value in the country. Some cracking courses at what many would consider stupidly low prices.

Skytot

Visit site
Holidaying in Beadnell in early June and I’m taking my clubs for 1 round . I played Seahouses last year and enjoyed it . I’m a bit concerned about playing Dunstanburgh on my own with people saying there’s a few blind holes. Don’t know if I can justify Goswicks green fee , What’s Bamburgh Castle GC like for blind holes ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Holidaying in Beadnell in early June and I’m taking my clubs for 1 round . I played Seahouses last year and enjoyed it . I’m a bit concerned about playing Dunstanburgh on my own with people saying there’s a few blind holes. Don’t know if I can justify Goswicks green fee , What’s Bamburgh Castle GC like for blind holes ?
There are a few.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought dunstanburgh was a lot more obvious than Seahouses for routing. It's more spaced out. Obviously there are some blind shots, but no more than the average links course iirc.

Springveldt

Visit site
I've only played Dunstanburgh a few times but it's sensibly laid out and easy to follow.

The Fader

Visit site

Might be a bit far from Beadnell - but maybe consider Newbiggin?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and apart from one hole on the front 9 - everything is visible. I went round as a 1 ball in 2hr's 50 mins!

Couple of huge shared greens which added to the experience.

I said on another thread - if was overlooked by a castle rather than a power station green fees would be double! I paid £25 mid afternoon.

Springveldt

Visit site
Might be a bit far from Beadnell - but maybe consider Newbiggin?

I thoroughly enjoyed it and apart from one hole on the front 9 - everything is visible. I went round as a 1 ball in 2hr's 50 mins!

Couple of huge shared greens which added to the experience.

I said on another thread - if was overlooked by a castle rather than a power station green fees would be double! I paid £25 mid afternoon.
It’s my home course now and when I said I was joining I got the same thing “that big ugly power station” but what they don’t mention is the views from the 4th to the 7th tees are great, you can hear the waves hitting the rocks just below you. You sometimes even get the sea spray coming over and hitting you on the 4th tee.

Year round golf, great views, good greens and £700 a year membership. I’m loving it so far.