North East Golf Society Silloth Weekend

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
North East Golf Society Silloth Weekend - Review

The weekend just gone (26th and 27th Oct) nine of us from the NEGS played two rounds at a very wet and extremely windy Silloth GC.

The weekend was organised by MGL, who did a bang up job, we had accomodation, food and the golf all sorted for us. Arriving at the course on Saturday morning we watched the wind get stronger with the flag pole on the 18th get closer and closer to horizontal. We teed off in a strong wind, with a good drive barely making 150yds and a bad drive being punished by the wind taking it way off into the heather. After an eventfull round we all completed 18 holes with Kraxx taking the honors with 38 points, 24 of them coming on the back 9, a great score given the conditions.

After a quick drink in the club house bar and clean up at the hotel, we all stayed at the Queen's, it was back to the golf course for our evening meal, cracking grub all round, the beer battered cod and chips was fantastic. We then left the club and headed for the only bar that had life, the Balmoral. The locals were all togged up for Halloween, with some weird sights to be seen, bloody nurses, a rather camp Dracula and a few who looked like make had been put on with a catapult.

Sunday was back to the club for breakfast and to watch the rain come in, the wind was much stronger than Saturday, but at 11:30 we teed off on time. This was a brutal round, the wind was crazy strong, with all havig to lean in to it to stop being blown over. The Icing on the cake was when the heavy rain and hail came down, combined with the wind, you could do nothing but try and hide exposed flesh as it stung when it hit. With your back to the wind and rain, you could see it coming down horizontal.

Come the 14th myself, Hobbit and MGL's friend had had enough and we trudged very wet back to the club house, the other 6 carried on to complete the round, with 31 points winning the round on Sunday agains given the conditions a very admirable points tally.

There were many shots which ended up behind where they had started from, many a drive was sent wayward by the wind, but the most brutal hole had to be the 6th, probably the highest point on the course and right next to the Solway Fith. The hole played 105yds downhill but straight into the teeth of the wind, a low punch shot was what was required as anything above 15ft was going to fall short. We all watched as balls just ballooned up and up and back and back and lost.

All said and done a brilliant weekend, the weather was immaterial as the course was excellent, the company was brilliant and everyone had a damn good laugh.

Cheers MGL, once again, for sorting a cracking weekend.

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Re: North East Golf Society Silloth Weekend - Review

Loved the 17th hole. I was -3 for the weekend on it.

Also -1 on the 5th.

I took 16 of my total 49 points for the weekend on those two holes. :D