North Berwick Golf Club

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was fortunate enough to play here again yesterday. It really is one of my very favourites. A true links course with huge, fast greens; tight turf; penal bunkers off the tee and the chance to plop it on the beach on a few too. Some really quirky holes as well as you'll see from these photos.

The famous wall in front of the 13th green. You don't want to get wedged right behind it with no shot to the green.

And how I played the hole (from GameGolf)

The 16th green, possibly the maddest in the world. A couple of interesting putts ahead

I got a wee bit of video too, warts and all, which gives a good flavour of the course and it's great views.

http://youtu.be/uYhaU4WajIU

If you're in the area it really is a must visit. Highly recommended.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Love the course!

Probably the best greens early in the year (perhaps vies with Luffness for that) and wonderfully quirky!

Last hole has a feel of St Andrews about it - would walk a long rather than park a car on the adjoining road!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love the course!

Probably the best greens early in the year (perhaps vies with Luffness for that) and wonderfully quirky!

Last hole has a feel of St Andrews about it - would walk a long rather than park a car on the adjoining road!

The greens were superb the other day. True, fast and subtle. Sadly had 38 putts but that's not surprising when I had quite a few 25 yarders to negotiate.

I know what you mean about the 18th. Nice drivable par 4, although the cars on the right are further away than I remember. I was 1 down going down the last and hit a nice tee shot to 20 feet of the pin to exert some pressure. My pal, Jake, hit a 3 wood to the very front edge of the green, leaving an 100 foot putt. Here we go, I thought. That's a 3 putter, leaving me 2 for the hole and a halved match. He struck his putt perfectly though and with 15 feet to go it looked as if he'd hole it. It skirted the hole but nestled a foot away for the birdie. I missed the eagle putt but got my birdie, too. Great fun though. Can't not enjoy the course!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love the course!

When I was teeing off on the 18th all I could see was my car sitting in the perfect spot to catch a big slice. No great surprise that I went left!

That 16th green is mental, I was very glad to find the correct portion!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks great, definitely on my to-do list. Stupidly put off by the miserable drive I have to do around the Firth of Forth to get there though. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That 16th green is mental, I was very glad to find the correct portion!

Played it half a dozen times and am 2 under for that hole! Never been on the 'wrong' part, but had a couple of tests to check how scary it is! Not so good performance with the 13th though - the wall doesn't so much get in the way, as in your (my) heed!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
- the wall doesn't so much get in the way, as in your (my) heed!

That's why my partner wisely suggested we hit hybrids off the tee. Leaves a full shot in and not worrying about the wall. I've seen people nestle up against it with driver off the tee, or with their second shot :)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a long thin bunker across the 17th waiting for the under-clubbed.....

Aye. I believe Ian's a member there.

Luckily for me, Jake, who was 2 up at the time, had hit it from the fairway bunker into it. You'll see his ball nestling in it. I played it sensibly for a steady par. Blind 2nd shot over a ridge. I got lucky.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Aye. I believe Ian's a member there.

Luckily for me, Jake, who was 2 up at the time, had hit it from the fairway bunker into it. You'll see his ball nestling in it. I played it sensibly for a steady par. Blind 2nd shot over a ridge. I got lucky.

Ah, though "that's a bit anal having a rake for a path"