Noob

Jimblob

www.officialmanmountain.com
Hi. I am seriously considering taking up golf. I`ve wanted to for ages, but could never be arsed, so here goes..

What is the best golf club full set to get?

I want a set that is pretty forgiving but I dont want a set that people will laugh at when I take it to a club. So a mid range set if possible.

I was previously considering these..

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs...ed-package-set/

What do you think?

Thanks
Jim

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Jim.
Can I suggest you borrow a 7 iron from a friend/colleague and go and have a bash on a driving range and see if you like it.
It would be a shame to shell out on a new set of clubs and then discover you dont like the game.
As for the Wilsons you have linked to, they are just fine for starting out if you want to buy new.
Maybe a second hand set for starters?

Jimblob

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I`ve wanted to take it up for years, I`ve had a go before but never really done a round of golf or been to driving ranges etc.

Knowing what I am like, one night on the piss and a visit to my desk and I`d have all the kit and clothes of a pro on day one, then make myself look an ass on hole one mashing up the grass trying to hit the ball, lmao ;-)

I`ve given it a lot of thought though and will get some lessons. I want a decent set of new clubs though, but dont want to spend loads on a starter set then have to get a new set shortly after (delusions of grandeur notwithstanding), hence looking for a mid range set.

Thanks
Jim

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The allure of the shiny is strong within you young Lukeblob.
What's your budget?
Bear in mind you'll need irons, woods, wedges, putter, trolley bag, shoes, GPS, a V-Easy, a chipper, shorts, water-proofs, loud trousers, glove, balls, Go-Kart etc etc

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The allure of the shiny is strong within you young Lukeblob.

What's your budget?

:)

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

HAN SOLO, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

I'm all quotes today.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
you'll need irons, woods, wedges, putter, trolley bag, shoes, GPS, a V-Easy, a chipper, shorts, water-proofs, loud trousers, glove, balls, Go-Kart etc etc

Sure that you got that lot in the right order Bob??

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Any set of Callaway cavity clubs would be great for a starter. x-18's, x-20's etc Can probably get a decent set from Golfbidder for £200

UnluckyXIII

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would say take some lessons, the teaching pro will let you use some of his clubs to practice with and develop your swing. From here you will then be able to get advice from your training pro about what clubs you should be looking at for your ability, also no one will know your swing better at this point then your Pro so they should be giving you sound advice on club recommendations. Also most Pros are normally well connected in your local golf community so can get hold of a good second hand or new set of clubs for you at a good price.

My advice is don't jump the gun and go straight for a set of clubs before you have even played the sport, I've only recently started myself (around 2-3 months ago) and all I have been doing so far is having one session of tuition a week followed by 2-3 sessions of practicing myself per week.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started with a package set. I don't think it does any harm but you <u>will</u> want to move on in 12 months so £300 for something that has no resale value?

would I do it that way if I was starting now? I don't think so - for that money you can get a good second-hand set of irons (lesson first, talk to pro and try a few before buying, and pick up the rest as you go. may cost a little more this way but there are plenty of older model drivers, fairways around all under £100 and they will all be better than their package equivalents.

in most package sets, woods are their weakness.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jim,

Are you convinced you will take to the game? Spending even £300 on a set, which will become £500 by the time you've got a few additional bits of kit, bag, trolley, shoes, clothing, waterproofs etc etc is a bit of a risk if you are considering taking up the sport.

Is there not anyone you could borrow a set off, just to get the feel for the game?

Then I reckon you should get a few lessons, I can't recommend Richard Pace at One Stop Golf on National Avenue highly enough, think he is doing a deal for new starters at the moment too.

If you don't want to go down there on your own drop me a pm, I go 2 or 3 times every week and when you are ready to venture on a course there are a few of us on here from your neck of the woods.

If you are really stuck you can borrow my starter set for a while!

Word of warning though.....this game is a bug that tends to bite hard!

Have fun! :)

Jimblob

Jim,

Are you convinced you will take to the game? Spending even £300 on a set, which will become £500 by the time you've got a few additional bits of kit, bag, trolley, shoes, clothing, waterproofs etc etc is a bit of a risk if you are considering taking up the sport.

Is there not anyone you could borrow a set off, just to get the feel for the game?

Then I reckon you should get a few lessons, I can't recommend Richard Pace at One Stop Golf on National Avenue highly enough, think he is doing a deal for new starters at the moment too.

If you don't want to go down there on your own drop me a pm, I go 2 or 3 times every week and when you are ready to venture on a course there are a few of us on here from your neck of the woods.

If you are really stuck you can borrow my starter set for a while!

Word of warning though.....this game is a bug that tends to bite hard!

Have fun! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yes I`am sure I would like to take it up. A colleague at work has offered to lend me a set to have a go with too :p

Brilliant expression of kindness there by Wheredidgo, another trait I love about the golfing community and only adds to my enthusiasm.

I think I`ll give the guy on National Ave a call and see if he can fit me in.

The main reason why I havent done this sooner is the fact that I dont really feel comfortable going on my own, a new guy at work said he will go with me, but dont know how serious he is.

Its not just about the golf, its the whole deal and with people like you lot, no one can go wrong ;-)

Thanks
Jim