Non starting PC

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Morning everyone,

Looking for a bit of help this morning please.

Over the last couple of days my pc hasn't been starting first time. What happens is when I switch it on the power light comes on and it makes some noise but never seems to go beyond that. The cd drive opens and closes and if I plug something in to the use port they seem to be live but the monitor never comes to life. I have switched it on and off and it does come on, but after a few attempts this morning, no joy. Even the power light has stayed off now, although it still seems to have some power in it.

Anyone any ideas :confused:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any beeps on boot? Can you open it up and see if there are any lights, usually 4 in a line which some might be on or off?

Could be loose connection or hardware, added/removed something?

D

Deleted member 18121

I'd be tempted to take the case off and clear out any fluff from the fans etc. Then check that all the bits are seated properly on the motherboard. Then try booting it.

If that doesn't work then with it all unplugged press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. This drains the onboard battery completely and may clear any issues.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Perhaps it's the Monitor that's not working?

Is it powered with a separate cord/plug that you can check out elsewhere? If so, it should power up and display some message about no PC being connected, or simply a 'screen-saving' area moving about.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If it's not the screen then it sounds like the power supply unit may have given up the ghost.
It's easy to swap in a new one , but make sure you have the same connection on the cables

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, will look at these.
It hasn't moved much in the last 3 years and the only internal work was a new hard drive approx 2 years ago.
There was no beep at start up.
The monitor is powered separately and was saying it wasn't getting a signal.