No swing thoughts only target golf

seniorgolfpro52

Visit site
good morning to all.
i have a question for the experts.About 6 months ago i had a short game golf lesson.I have been golfing for 50 years, and never felt comfortable with a wedge but after this lesson, my confidence boomed.I knew, even without practice this method would work.So when i stand over the ball, i have about 3 things to think about,1 in the backswing and 2 in the downswing.Recently i attended a target orientated golf seminar.Its all about picking a target and no swing thoughts.My question is, If i was to just think of the target when hitting a wedge, what kind of swing movement would i produce.Would it be my wedge swing i have had for 50 years, or the new swing i have only practiced for 6 months. I feel i need to think of these 3 points in the swing to make this move, but i cant do that and think of the target as well.Would be very interested in your thoughts.many thanks,David

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's all very well just focusing on the target if your technique is good.
Some people like to play with no swing thoughts, others cant play without them.

I would say keep your swing thoughts, one on the backswing but try and figure out a way of combining the two thoughts into one for the downswing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Before address I decide the shot and club and visualise it. When taking my stance and address I put short focus on some key swings thoughts. I then try and forget them to focus on hitting the shot I had visualised.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi David,

If you’ve found something that’s working, don’t change it! Target golf is great for those that have their technique naturally honed. I play all my chip and pitch shots only thinking about the target, but will make good contact the vast majority of the time. If I take on a 7 iron approach and think about the target chances are I won’t find the middle of the club. I need swing thoughts, just 1 or 2 at most. As with all things imo - follow Bobs advice and you won’t go wrong

seniorgolfpro52

Visit site
It's all very well just focusing on the target if your technique is good.
Some people like to play with no swing thoughts, others cant play without them.

I would say keep your swing thoughts, one on the backswing but try and figure out a way of combining the two thoughts into one for the downswing.
yes i like that idea Bob,1 thought going back and 1 going through as i think of sending my ball to the target.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's an interesting topic.
The best part of my game by a long stretch is chipping and for that I am completely target orientated. No swing thoughts at all - just see the shot and let it happen. I only wish the same could be said for the long game :oops:

seniorgolfpro52

Visit site
It's an interesting topic.
The best part of my game by a long stretch is chipping and for that I am completely target orientated. No swing thoughts at all - just see the shot and let it happen. I only wish the same could be said for the long game :oops:
i used to practice my short game hours on end, for 2 years, but didnt improve much. had loads of lessons from top coaches but never felt comfortable with my swing.1 day i wrote different golf terms into google which were ways i would like to swing a wedge.like more stacked at address, and few other things.a an interview appeared from a tour player and he discussed his short game.it was music to my ears.i went straight to the practice green and struck it lovely, its been like this now for 6 months.So with NO practice, just different thoughts my short game improved quicker in 5 minutes than in 2 years.would love to know how to move it to the next level.I got in touch with this tour player and asked me but he wouldnt tell me:):)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's an interesting topic, and I'm not sure that there is a 'correct' answer.

I tend to agree with Homer, it's very hard for ams, who on the whole do not have their swing comfortably ingrained in their subconscious, to avoid thinking about what they are doing.

Having said that, it's obviously a good thing to have a mental image of the shot you are trying to make.
It's also good to fill the flakey mind with thoughts that are both helpful and easy to achieve - walk confidently to the ball, take a purposeful balanced stance etc.
I find it helpful to mentally rehearse a finish position, so that I am not actually thinking of hitting the ball - that avoids a nasty lunge to make contact...

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
i used to practice my short game hours on end, for 2 years, but didnt improve much. had loads of lessons from top coaches but never felt comfortable with my swing.1 day i wrote different golf terms into google which were ways i would like to swing a wedge.like more stacked at address, and few other things.a an interview appeared from a tour player and he discussed his short game.it was music to my ears.i went straight to the practice green and struck it lovely, its been like this now for 6 months.So with NO practice, just different thoughts my short game improved quicker in 5 minutes than in 2 years.would love to know how to move it to the next level.I got in touch with this tour player and asked me but he wouldnt tell me:):)

Who, when, where, how ................................... I need to know.
Please post a link and I'll love you long time!

My short game sucks! :cry:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's an interesting topic, and I'm not sure that there is a 'correct' answer.

I tend to agree with Homer, it's very hard for ams, who on the whole do not have their swing comfortably ingrained in their subconscious, to avoid thinking about what they are doing.

Having said that, it's obviously a good thing to have a mental image of the shot you are trying to make.
It's also good to fill the flakey mind with thoughts that are both helpful and easy to achieve - walk confidently to the ball, take a purposeful balanced stance etc.
I find it helpful to mentally rehearse a finish position, so that I am not actually thinking of hitting the ball - that avoids a nasty lunge to make contact...
One of the things I've been doing is trying to improve my visualisation. I was doing some work with a guy called James Lambdon (on twitter under @thinkunderpar) and we talked about a three stage process. Stage one is a very strong visualisation of the shot, a specific and very focused target, shape of shot and really trying to visualise how it will feel off the face and fly. Step two is to simply stand over the ball, got through the pre-shot routine, focus on the target and trust what visualisation and swing, not technical thoughts. The final stage is a five yard zone. See the outcome, focus on a positive emotion whether the shot was good or bad and after five yards let that shot go forever. It sounds weird and takes a lot of work especially early on as its not something that has come easy.

However I am definitely seeing some interesting results. I am seeming to get more 30+ point rounds even when I feel I am not swinging the club very well at all. I do feel much calmer in myself and when it's not going well don't run to a new swing thought, trying to find something technical or simply give in. I've some more work planned over the winter with James and I'm keen to see what else he can do for me

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watch the first few seconds of this. Aryia always makes herself smile just before she hits to reinforce positive vibes.