No shows for Club Weekly Golf Competitions including Board Comps.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We normally have around 150 playing on a Saturday in The Weekly Medal/Stableford Competition. Members have until 5p.m. on a Friday to delete. This week because of inclement weather forecast it was down to 105. Yesterday only 86 played, around 82% who said they would. Prior to COVID if you did not play on the day you still had to pay, your name would go Ona board to advise you and you could not win a Competition until feel were paid.

This seems to have stopped which of course reduces the prize fund.

What system does your club adopt for “no shows’ and how successful is it?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We don't penalise people for not showing up, and I think it's wrong to anyway. It's not like someone is out of pocket after organising it.

D

Deleted member 25172

We don't penalise people for not showing up, and I think it's wrong to anyway. It's not like someone is out of pocket after organising it.

Disagree, for several reasons. If not turning up it makes it harder to re-shuffle balls so that you don’t have to go out as a 2-ball in an otherwise field full of 3-balls and you have to wait between all the shots. Secondly, the club could start selling green fees if the field is significantly lower just cause people can’t be bothered showing up, so that’s a potential economic loss for the club for unused tee-times. Thirdly, if you say you’re gonna show up, you show up. Think Cooden, as a recent example.

On the topic. £10 is deducted from your club card. Or it’s supposed to be anyway. Never actually heard about it happen though, so not sure if it’s working or not. I’d hope they do enforce it though.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree, for several reasons. If not turning up it makes it harder to re-shuffle balls so that you don’t have to go out as a 2-ball in an otherwise field full of 3-balls and you have to wait between all the shots. Secondly, the club could start selling green fees if the field is significantly lower just cause people can’t be bothered showing up, so that’s a potential economic loss for the club for unused tee-times. Thirdly, if you say you’re gonna show up, you show up. Think Cooden, as a recent example.

On the topic. £10 is deducted from your club card. Or it’s supposed to be anyway. Never actually heard about it happen though, so not sure if it’s working or not. I’d hope they do enforce it though.
I play at a members club, where we don't have times for all but a very select few board comps. Even those very select few times, if someone doesn't let anone know they aren't playing and no shows, yes it's a buggerance but that relevant group is either merged with the one before and/or after or just plays with their reduced number.
We don't have green fees at the weekend, and if there is a comp with tee times, only those members will be allowed to play during the comp runnng time.

It's nothing like Cooden. There, someone had put their own time and money into the event and was out of pocket.
A club comp will still be run and whilst a gross annoyance someone doesnt turn up, or notiify anyone of that, the comp will still go on and accomodate it.

D

Deleted member 25172

I play at a members club, where we don't have times for all but a very select few board comps. Even those very select few times, if someone doesn't let anone know they aren't playing and no shows, yes it's a buggerance but that relevant group is either merged with the one before and/or after or just plays with their reduced number.
We don't have green fees at the weekend, and if there is a comp with tee times, only those members will be allowed to play during the comp runnng time.

It's nothing like Cooden. There, someone had put their own time and money into the event and was out of pocket.
A club comp will still be run and whilst a gross annoyance someone doesnt turn up, or notiify anyone of that, the comp will still go on and accomodate it.

Pretty much your whole first paragraph is what I said was bad. A: it makes it harder to reorganise, and B: “worst” case is that you’re playing in a reduced ball in an otherwise field with full balls. I play at a members club too, and we do have green fees on the weekend if course isn’t already fully booked by Thursday. Agree to disagree there it seem.

As for the Cooden reference, although it’s not the same thing, the point I was making is that grown ups should show up if they say that they are.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My view is that failure to show for a drawn competition without giving notice shows a total lack of respect - for those organising comps, for playing partners and especially for members who couldn’t get a tee time if the draw sheet is full, as frequently happens at ours.

Our competition committee are quite strict about this. Unless a member has good reason (medical/family emergency being the obvious example), on the first occasion they forfeit their entry fee and receive “words of advice”. If it happens again it’s another entry fee forfeit and a ban from three competitions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We pay when the tee time is booked for non optional comps

Players cannot cancel themselves out of the comp, they have until the close of the office on Thursday to ask the office to remove them and get a refund of their entry fee after that if they do not play they do not get refunded.

All players have to check in before going out to play (if they do not they are are not in the comp but still do not get a refund) so it is easy to see the no shows but no further action is taken.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Nothing at ours but I played in the second round of the club champs at our place yesterday and due to the weather I reckon there were maybe 3 groups behind us (we teed off at 8:20) yet the tee sheet was still full.

Tbh I've no issue with people bailing as life can get in the way but it takes 30 seconds to delete your name off the tee sheet and that automatically notifies your playing partners. I suspect a few will have turned up to find no playing partners yesterday which is unacceptable.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing if you phone the starter and cancel at least an hour before your tee time.
If you fail to notify the starter on time , you're barred from the next comp..
There's usually a few players on a reserve list waiting for a last minute call.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As for the Cooden reference, although it’s not the same thing, the point I was making is that grown ups should show up if they say that they are.
I don't disagree, but life can throw a spanner into the works sometimes. For every other reason, there isn't an excuse.

D

Deleted member 25172

I don't disagree, but life can throw a spanner into the works sometimes. For every other reason, there isn't an excuse.

Of course things can always happen that are more important. In this particular instance though, the spanner into the works seem to have been the weather. On occasions when the weather have been forecasted to be bad I’ve taken my name off the comp, but if it turns out ok in the morning I’ve then gone down the club to see if I can be squeezed in somewhere which usually works at our place at least.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When folks say 'banned from next comp'
Does that mean the next comp the club runs
The next comp run at a weekend
The next comp the player wanted to enter
The next comp of a similar format
?

The ban could be done and dusted by Tuesday morning after a Saturday no show

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I once missed a competition, had a call from the organiser checking why and whether everything was OK. I apologised profusely, and I explained I had rushed my wife into hospital the previous night and she had an emergency appendectomy and that the competition had slipped my mind, after a late night at the hospital.

Later that week I received a disciplinary letter banning me for 1 competition, and that any future incident would be 3 month ban, followed by a permanent ban for a subsequent transgression.

I chose to leave shortly after, I had been a member 7 years.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When folks say 'banned from next comp'
Does that mean the next comp the club runs
The next comp run at a weekend
The next comp the player wanted to enter
The next comp of a similar format
?

The ban could be done and dusted by Tuesday morning after a Saturday no show
Barred from the following Saturday medal.
As there isn't a shortage of tee times in midweek medals there's no ban if you don't cancel.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For roll ups I think there's no penalty. I think if you no show for boarded comps you get a letter home and if you do it three times you're suspended from comps for 1 months. So far no one has had a ban at my place.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I once missed a competition, had a call from the organiser checking why and whether everything was OK. I apologised profusely, and I explained I had rushed my wife into hospital the previous night and she had an emergency appendectomy and that the competition had slipped my mind, after a late night at the hospital.

Later that week I received a disciplinary letter banning me for 1 competition, and that any future incident would be 3 month ban, followed by a permanent ban for a subsequent transgression.

I chose to leave shortly after, I had been a member 7 years.

I'd have left too...ridiculous.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course things can always happen that are more important. In this particular instance though, the spanner into the works seem to have been the weather. On occasions when the weather have been forecasted to be bad I’ve taken my name off the comp, but if it turns out ok in the morning I’ve then gone down the club to see if I can be squeezed in somewhere which usually works at our place at least.

Surely there should be a cut off point for entry? Ours close 1 minute before the first tee time.

D

Deleted member 25172

Surely there should be a cut off point for entry? Ours close 1 minute before the first tee time.

There might be but I don’t know really. Have been able to get to the club in the morning and got in several times.