No Laying Up - Tourist Sauce

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely love this series. Very well thought out and put together.

Don't go overboard on showing every hole and green on a course, just a nice flavour of a few holes. Show realistic trips that most people who play golf could put together and afford to play some or all of the courses. And also do a wee bit of travel documentary about the club and area.

Obviously their personalities and passions shines through.

Strapped is also good, but personally feel the 'small town' America bit is less interesting for me as I have no intention of travelling to America and do a golf trip around municipal / public courses in Ohio, for example.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Must admit the NLU 'brand' is the first one I go to for golf podcasts or YouTube videos.

Completely agree you've got to listen/watch a few to get their personalities, but that's what makes them better IMHO. They all pass the 'go for a pint' test in that I'd happily go for a pint with all of them, unlike other golf youtubers I could mention. Also I like the fact they are not just desperate for likes/subscribes and therefore the content is not click baity. Normally I can't stand podcasts that get interrupted for commercial breaks but they seem to do it as well as can be done and I don't mind the odd add for Callaway or jerky if it means a lack of videos showing someone testing a 7 iron by hitting it 180 yards and then pleading with you to like , share and subscribe.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i think its very self undulgent, who wants to see some hackers chomp up courses. i did watch the ones they did when they played around here as a mate who knows one of them recommeded it, but would not bother again

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I enjoy the NLU podcasts and tourist sauce shows

not the usual Americans view on things

good to see there views on stuff although sometimes goes on a bit

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tralee is up.......looks quirky and amazing. Anyone played ?

Best in the UK for me including Royal County down, although havent played Muirfield yet.

Front 9 are good clifftop style links holes, back 9 is in a dune scape. There are 2 river inlets on each side and the sea on the other and surrounding hills and mountains. Some brilliantly crafted holes and also a little castellated tower.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Click on pictures for a bigger version, then click again on for a bigger version.

If you ever get the chance to play Tralee, go for it.

Welcome up there with the best, course was FUN from the beginning to the end and views up there with the best(conditioning wasn't brilliant but Tralee(& European) are the two courses I would loved to revisit, as both better than superb).

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Click on pictures for a bigger version, then click again on for a bigger version.

If you ever get the chance to play Tralee, go for it.

Welcome up there with the best, course was FUN from the beginning to the end and views up there with the best(conditioning wasn't brilliant but Tralee(& European) are the two courses I would loved to revisit, as both better than superb).

That first pic - the par 4, my that would take two great blows to get on in two into the prevailing wind. I think i was driver, 5 wood 6 iron, was made up with a 5.

D

Deleted member 21258

That first pic - the par 4, my that would take two great blows to get on in two into the prevailing wind. I think i was driver, 5 wood 6 iron, was made up with a 5.

The 12th is a fun hole, especially as you have seen it from the 10th & 11th, so know what is coming up. Think we choose to hit from the green tees on that hole, so about 420yards?, 15-20 yards shorter than whites and wind was more off the right but tbh it was fairly still(10-15mph?). Son didn't hit a good drive down the left and was driver/3 wood to green, not the kind of club/or side to approach from, you want to hit to that green but he pulled it off:D, I hit a great drive then an 8 iron to the right of the green(With the ball above my feet and not wanting to go left, wasn't a good combination and didn't fancy the walk of shame down the side of the dune that the green was on :eek:) .

But sounds like you had a windy day into ?, so would be a right beast of a hole!

EDIT But what a great course, my favourite links course, had everything, welcome, views, course, fun, challenging, do/die holes & playable etc.

Springveldt

Visit site
Watched the latest one last night, Tralee looked absolutely amazing. It should be though for 250 euro's. Personally, I don't think I would ever pay that for a round of golf.

The latest podcast with Paul Goydos and Kevin Sutherland was brilliant as well.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not as impressed by the Irish series as previous tourist sauce. Partly it's me - I have no particular interest in paying American prices for bagtag golf without having access to lots of cheaper courses nearby to make up a trip (ike you get in Scotland).
But partly it's because of a lack of a narrative in the playing parts. Having some sort of a match in progress, or a target to be met, is more interesting imho.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
They’ve clearly learnt a lot about making these shows because I’ve gone back to watch the Scotland tourist sauce as I never bothered, and it’s just not as engaging as the Ireland one (a bit like the residents at each country I suppose 😂)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Watched the latest one last night, Tralee looked absolutely amazing. It should be though for 250 euro's. Personally, I don't think I would ever pay that for a round of golf.

The latest podcast with Paul Goydos and Kevin Sutherland was brilliant as well.

I played Tralee a while back... super place but shocked that they now charge 250 euros. I guess they are catering to Americans looking to find out where their great granddads came from!! :) Explains why we go to play in hot climates now, rather than Ireland.