No British Masters for 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...sters-reportedly-not-returning-in-2019-167234

So with Sky not continuing with their sponsorship

The first question is - why have they stopped? The crowds appeared to have been very big ? Are they stepping back a bit in Regards golf because it’s not the money spinner they thought it would be

Is it where it is in the calendar meaning some of the top ET names don’t play - should they make it a Rolex Event and have it in the summer ?

Also read somewhere that Open De France is stopping as well

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
That is a shame.

I must say I am guilty of not watching a lot of the European Tour events. It simply doesn't fit my schedule with play during the day. Obviously the US tour stuff is much better from a time point of view.

In reality most of these tournaments are reliant on big TV audiences as the ticket sales for an event like this will probably not generate that much. It's important to have decent crowds, but most of them would be on discounted or free tickets. And they will make a bit on merchandise and concessions.

The advertising dynamic has completely changed, with companies far keener to spend on targeted online ads compared with TV where you don't know whose watching, for how long, how much attention they are paying, what age they are, what other stuff they watch etc.

Sport in general, and golf in particular, really has to change the dynamic in terms of viewing because covering a Golf Tournament is a big production. It's not like a Youtube Channel where a couple of guys with a £500 camera, a couple of mics and a laptop can produce high quality, enjoyable content. It's only going to get harder and harder to keep these going and possibly we are going to have, or already do have a situation where the big events (majors and Ryder Cup) basically subsidise a lot of the tour events.

Credit to Sky for getting this event back up and running. I have a feeling that their plan was to jump in for 4 years, make the best tournament they could and give is 100% in terms of getting decent fields, good fan interaction and excellent courses. They can reasonably have expected that had they made a success of it, a new sponsor would come in and keep the event going and Sky could get another 3 or 4 years of covering a home event. May still happen, but you feel it's unlikely at this stage.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A real shame. It took golf to different areas of the country, the NE last year for one, and showed golf on different types of course, heathland this year for example. These last 4 years have come across as a real success but maybe Sky feel it is time for someone else to back it financially. I wonder if the change in ownership at Sky also has something to do with this.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All comes down to money in the end, no matter how many people go to the event its the TV exposure for the sponsor at the end of the day, just look at some of the other ET events though the year hardly a soul to be seen sometimes.

Shame it was nice t see something a bit different for a change, i always try and watch it when its on a links course, but didn't see any yesterday at all as i was out all day.

Wolf

Visit site
That is a shame.

I must say I am guilty of not watching a lot of the European Tour events. It simply doesn't fit my schedule with play during the day. Obviously the US tour stuff is much better from a time point of view.

In reality most of these tournaments are reliant on big TV audiences as the ticket sales for an event like this will probably not generate that much. It's important to have decent crowds, but most of them would be on discounted or free tickets. And they will make a bit on merchandise and concessions.

The advertising dynamic has completely changed, with companies far keener to spend on targeted online ads compared with TV where you don't know whose watching, for how long, how much attention they are paying, what age they are, what other stuff they watch etc.

Sport in general, and golf in particular, really has to change the dynamic in terms of viewing because covering a Golf Tournament is a big production. It's not like a Youtube Channel where a couple of guys with a £500 camera, a couple of mics and a laptop can produce high quality, enjoyable content. It's only going to get harder and harder to keep these going and possibly we are going to have, or already do have a situation where the big events (majors and Ryder Cup) basically subsidise a lot of the tour events.

Credit to Sky for getting this event back up and running. I have a feeling that their plan was to jump in for 4 years, make the best tournament they could and give is 100% in terms of getting decent fields, good fan interaction and excellent courses. They can reasonably have expected that had they made a success of it, a new sponsor would come in and keep the event going and Sky could get another 3 or 4 years of covering a home event. May still happen, but you feel it's unlikely at this stage.

I think this sums it up perfectly especially the timing of tv coverage. I love watching European tour events such a diverse amount of courses to watch compared to the majority of PGA tour bomb it target golf.

But sadly with working hours what they are then playing or being out at weekends it must massively affect viewing numbers as such revenue for advertising. Means events like this fall by the wayside such a shame but I guess that's economics for you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it not because there are 3 extra big money tournaments on the way in the middle East . At least that is what I thought I heard from one of the commentators yesterday.

Saudi Arabia has been added and the BMW PGA has now moved to September

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really disappointing that a sponsor hasn't stepped in to get involved with this. We've got the Scottish and Irish Open so you'd think one could have been found/stepped forward. Maybe the time of year doesn't help!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Inevitable really. Look at how tournaments in places like China are played in front of next to no-one but remain in the calendar because of decent sponsorship. Sadly attracting decent crowds through the gates isnt enough any more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The scheduling really doesn't do it any favours and it'll be a shame to lose it. While we're at the 11th hour in terms of a new sponsor arriving before the ET announce dates this week for 2019, I wonder if someone will see the success of the last four years and decide to re-brand and re-market it accordingly going forward. I don't think this is the last British Masters we'll see

SteveBonners

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great shame that this will be leaving the rota and it looks like the European tours only English event will be at Wentworth with it's new date later in the year. Just a reflection of economic reality for sponsorship of golf in Britain which has been the case for sometime.
The top player's now have a worldwide schedule and you can understand their plans to go where the money is. This was seen by the players who stayed away this year. Indeed, even Justin Rose himself has not always supported the event in previous years.
Hopeful it will return at some future date.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I 'worked' as a volunteer at the first two Sky Masters, and the crowds were great, and fantastic atmosphere. Such a shame if a sponsor is not found as there is definitely room for another tournament in England.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Would be interesting to see if the European Tour would have events in Florida, Mexico or the Caribbean at this time in the year. They already go for events in Dubai, South Africa etc. so in reality it's not much different.

The TV times would fit much better and the travelling is travelling whether you are going to Dubai or Florida.

It would also encourage a lot of the US based European guys to play and maybe a few additional Americans would take up European Tour membership if there was decent money on offer.

It would actually make more sense to not ride as hard the events in the summer that are competing with US Tour player schedules and put more effort into the schedule before the Masters and After the Fed Ex Cup / Ryder Cup when the top players are always going to be very selective with their playing time.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would be interesting to see if the European Tour would have events in Florida, Mexico or the Caribbean at this time in the year. They already go for events in Dubai, South Africa etc. so in reality it's not much different.

The TV times would fit much better and the travelling is travelling whether you are going to Dubai or Florida.

It would also encourage a lot of the US based European guys to play and maybe a few additional Americans would take up European Tour membership if there was decent money on offer.

It would actually make more sense to not ride as hard the events in the summer that are competing with US Tour player schedules and put more effort into the schedule before the Masters and After the Fed Ex Cup / Ryder Cup when the top players are always going to be very selective with their playing time.

wouldn't it be just as hard to find a sponsor ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps the fact that it was sponsered by Sky, and only covered by Sky has somehting to do with no other media source making any mention of it and who can blame them.
If it was covered by a terrestrial provider it may have had greater attendances and viewing figures which would make it more attractive to other sponsors.

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't know about sponsorship but I know they were saying on Saturday I think, that there were still tickets available for Sunday(turn up and pay on the day), so I assume not brilliantly attended ?

Was great to see it on heathland and that a person is the host, shame to see it go after such a short period again.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get a feeling that there is going to be a few issues between golf (especially the European Tour) and Sky over the coming years.
The secret to making money out of golf coverage appears to be the exclusivity of the majors and, to a certain extent, the Ryder Cup. When Sky put together a dedicated golf channel, they had this but now they have lost a few and others look less certain, it remains to be seen whether Sky's involvement in golf remains a big enough money maker.
The timing of US events and the fields playing makes it a bit of a draw but the same cannot be said for European Events.
Perhaps this is the first sign of this or maybe it is me reading too much into it.

D

Deleted member 15344

I get a feeling that there is going to be a few issues between golf (especially the European Tour) and Sky over the coming years.
The secret to making money out of golf coverage appears to be the exclusivity of the majors and, to a certain extent, the Ryder Cup. When Sky put together a dedicated golf channel, they had this but now they have lost a few and others look less certain, it remains to be seen whether Sky's involvement in golf remains a big enough money maker.
The timing of US events and the fields playing makes it a bit of a draw but the same cannot be said for European Events.
Perhaps this is the first sign of this or maybe it is me reading too much into it.

I believe and I guess most have seen me say it that Sky having every single event and having it behind a pay wall was never going to be good for golf - having exclusivity for Golf looked good for Sky and they could launch the Sky Golf channel BUT I don’t think they understood that people aren’t going to pay a full subscription to watch golf , the millions of viewers that were lost just relied on the highlights from BBC - they prob got a few more viewers from Now TV but only for the Open and Ryder Cup , I doubt they got anything much for any other event.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the R&A do when their contract finishes with Sky - do they look to grab viewers back and go back to terrestrial or do they stick with Sky but I don’t see Sky bidding as highly this time.

Whilst the viewing of golf with Sky for some its better as a package than BBC I suspect most would prefer to have it on the BBC and not pay a subscription for it

In some ways on the course a lot of golf is on the up - participation is on the slight increase a long with membership number and juniors starting it would be great to find a way to get more people watching it , getting the Open back to terrestrial telly would be a great step forward

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky sports in general is in for an interesting few years. They do not have enough rugby to make a subscription worthwhile (hence I only have BT Sport, not paying to watch a few internationals and the Lions), some of the golf majors are moving away, they have no Champions League football, big boxing events are on pay per view etc.
As things stand, and this is a personal view, Sky now only have 2 valuable assets, England Cricket and, of course, the Premiership. This is why football rights will keep getting more and more expensive, it is almost as is the whole Sky Sports offering is now based on Sky securing those rights.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know about sponsorship but I know they were saying on Saturday I think, that there were still tickets available for Sunday(turn up and pay on the day), so I assume not brilliantly attended ?

Was great to see it on heathland and that a person is the host, shame to see it go after such a short period again.

That's the same at most events tho, every tournament I have been to you have been able to just pay of the day for any day. To my knowledge only next years open and one of the Irish opens have been a sell out in recent years, just goes to show that they love their golf in Ireland.