Nicks Dodgy Swing

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a new phone the other day which has some nice slow motion options. Took it down the range to have a play with the various modes to see which was most suitable.

First time I'd seen my swing in several years...was quite aghast at how laid off the club is at the top (ha!!) of the swing.

59, fatter than I should be (again something that the video highlights only too readily) and about as flexible as a lump of two by four. Usually start the ball a little left of target and it has a nice soft fade to bring it back. This is an 8 iron swing....target line is the solitary bush beyond the right edge of the middle bunker.

There must be improvements I can make? edit...well you tube have butchered the quality of the video nicely :D

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I don't think the club is much laid off. If it had been swung back parallel to the ground it would almost be pointing to the target.

The first move on the downswing is to throw the club outside the line. That's why it starts left.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The first move on the downswing is to throw the club outside the line. That's why it starts left.
I disagree...... sort of
While he does throw it at the top, it doesn't go outside the line because it's so inside going back.

You have several issues
The problem is, your not 16 anymore and some of the fixes would take some time and effort to groove in.
You didn't tell us what you want to improve.
Do you want more distance, better contact, more consistency? etc
However, if you are happy with your game, why spend hours fixing it?

Ps. good slow mo video (y)

PPs I will give you one tip because I can't not mention it, if that makes sense.

Your left heel lifting on the backswing is part of the problem that I think with a bit of work would improve your contact.
Before anyone jumps in and tells me Jack Nicklaus lifts his left heel...I know.
But this is is Nick after impact.

Untitledjjj.jpg

Guess where the weight is...
I'd rather see a lot more hip turn and right knee action through impact

Here's a drill which would encourage a better weight transfer.
Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball. You might want to use something softer to start with, eg a small rolled up towel/old head cover etc
Start off 2 feet apart, then gradually move the towel in.
In my vid, the back ball is 8-10 in behind the front ball.

I would make a small wager that a face on video would show a fair amount of swaying going on which would lead to inconsistent contact.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Better overall consistent contact is probably what I'm looking for....I played a match the other week and nutted a six iron so sweet and pure I realised that 90% of my iron shots were less than ideal. I reckon with a bit of work over winter I can get my handicap down to around 6 or 7 (currently 10) where it was in the old UHS days.

I hope to retire at the end of the year so will have plenty of time to work on the game....something that has really been lacking since Covid as I've worked from home for the last 4 years and simply have not had the same level of access to practise facilties (e.g. a range within half a mile of work or being able to divert to the club for a few holes in the evening after work).

I'll try to sort out a face on video in the next few days.

I'll have a go with the tip...someone else told me to try something similar only a couple of weeks ago.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Lifting the left heel on the back swing pushes the weight onto the back foot.
Keeping the left heel off the ground after impact suggests no weight transfer
Compare your impact position to Luke below

qqqq.jpg

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder if the heel lifting is as a result of my general inflexibility and it helps me feel like I'm completing a full turn (or as much of a full turn as I can)?

I notice that my left heel nearly makes it back to the ground, only to rise again as if I'm trying to launch myself through impact.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There is no launch.
Your flexibility can improve, your contact won't
Use that drill in the video and you'll soon feel the weight transfer happening

FELL75

Visit site
I disagree...... sort of
While he does throw it at the top, it doesn't go outside the line because it's so inside going back.

You have several issues
The problem is, your not 16 anymore and some of the fixes would take some time and effort to groove in.
You didn't tell us what you want to improve.
Do you want more distance, better contact, more consistency? etc
However, if you are happy with your game, why spend hours fixing it?

Ps. good slow mo video (y)

PPs I will give you one tip because I can't not mention it, if that makes sense.

Your left heel lifting on the backswing is part of the problem that I think with a bit of work would improve your contact.
Before anyone jumps in and tells me Jack Nicklaus lifts his left heel...I know.
But this is is Nick after impact.

View attachment 54729

Guess where the weight is...
I'd rather see a lot more hip turn and right knee action through impact

Here's a drill which would encourage a better weight transfer.
Hit the front ball without hitting the back ball. You might want to use something softer to start with, eg a small rolled up towel/old head cover etc
Start off 2 feet apart, then gradually move the towel in.
In my vid, the back ball is 8-10 in behind the front ball.

I would make a small wager that a face on video would show a fair amount of swaying going on which would lead to inconsistent contact.
Thanks @bobmac. Good of you to post these drills and give guidance. In the drill the shot is with an iron. I'm struggling with weight transfer off the tee. Should I use the same drill with a driver or tweak it at all?

Many thanks
James

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The drill is normally used to steepen the angle of attack and encourage the golfer to take a divot. If you watch my vid again, you'll clearly hear my club thump the mat. That would have been a nice divot. Just use the drill with a shorter iron...7 or an 8, and just get used to turning through the ball onto your front foot, up on your right toe (right hander). Then, with the driver, tee the ball up quite high and quite far forward (big toe of your front foot)

This is a rare occasion I would NOT recommend copying the pros, unless your swing speed is 110+ mph
So try 3-4 inches further forward than Luke just to get that feel, but remember, tee it high as you'll be hitting up more on the ball.

cccc.jpg