NewBiggin Golf club

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Due to be playing in a Hickory comp at Newbiggin Golf Club at the end of Aug/Sept.

anyone played it?

Would be interested in thoughts on the course?

Thanks

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played it the once in A works competition a few years back. From memory it's a nice enough course...mainly a links course but a few holes weren't fully links if that makes much sense.

All the trouble is generally on the right hand side so I hope you aren't a habitual slicer of the ball!

The surrounding area however is a little bit ropey to say the least!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well regarded links course, Steve Harmisons club whatever that says. A proper local club, right on the front. Not exceptional but seems to produce good golfers. Whether or not the wind blows will make a big difference but that is usually the case on these courses so no surprise there.

Newbiggin as a small town is 'interesting'. Could and should be nicer but isn't.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Played there in the Seniors' Open there a couple of weeks ago. Couple of quirky holes & some where the best line off the tee isn't obvious. Good, sporting course. If you like links golf you'll enjoy it although, as has been said before, only half the course is links.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
is it worth staying in the town? or would somewhere else be better.

Might bring the wife and she can bugger off elsewhere while i'm golfing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would not suggest staying in Newbiggin. If you want a twee village then Alnmouth is the stand out. Next up Warkworth, then Alnwick. All of these are only 20-25 minutes away at most but with no traffic and country lane driving only. They are far nicer than Newbiggin or the towns surrounding it. Your wife would appreciate the upgrade. The alternatives in and around Newbiggin are not flattering.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would not suggest staying in Newbiggin. If you want a twee village then Alnmouth is the stand out. Next up Warkworth, then Alnwick. All of these are only 20-25 minutes away at most but with no traffic and country lane driving only. They are far nicer than Newbiggin or the towns surrounding it. Your wife would appreciate the upgrade. The alternatives in and around Newbiggin are not flattering.

Thanks tells me all i need to Know;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For the sake of fairness, it could be a nice little seaside town. It has a good beach, nice promenade walk and a statue in the sea that is great. Go there on a sunny day and you may think it is nice. However it needs the right type of investment, the removal of part of the population :D

For the distance you are travelling, coming down with your wife etc, don't mess about. Stay in a nice place.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could stay in Morpeth maybe?
Some decent bars and restaurants

Not too far away from newbiggin there

I was about to dismiss this, no hotels in Morpeth, but then I remembered there are serviced apartments at The Old Courthouse. Very quirky and right in the heart of the town but with parking. Worth a google. Plenty of pubs and eating places if you choose there.

It depends on what Mr and Mrs Patrick want. Alnmouth offers twee coastal village, plenty of places to eat and drink. Morpeth offers market town with shops, plenty of places to eat and drink. Both are probably a similar distance from Newbiggin.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was about to dismiss this, no hotels in Morpeth, but then I remembered there are serviced apartments at The Old Courthouse. Very quirky and right in the heart of the town but with parking. Worth a google. Plenty of pubs and eating places if you choose there.

It depends on what Mr and Mrs Patrick want. Alnmouth offers twee coastal village, plenty of places to eat and drink. Morpeth offers market town with shops, plenty of places to eat and drink. Both are probably a similar distance from Newbiggin.

I could have sworn some of the pubs/inns have accommodation??

The Waterford lodge (think that’s the name) I’m sure has rooms?
Or certainly used to

I’m sure there will be B&B type accomadation too in or nearby the city centre......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've lived in Morpeth for 11 years and never realised The Waterford had rooms 😁. I walk past it often enough taking my dog through the park. Not so sure about any other pubs but based on my observational skills...............There is a big renovation going on of an old coach hotel but that is a few months away from completion. A big fuss is being made partly because there are so few rooms available in the town and none are particularly smart, The Waterford is a bit dated and is certainly not flash. The new hotel is going to be quite fancy apparently, obligatory gin bar, spa rooms etc.