Newbies shaft flex question

Buckbeak

Visit site
Hi all,

I've played golf for a few years but I'm out of my depth when it comes to anything technical in the game.

Does the flex on a shaft differ from one shaft to the next? I need to replace my "Matrix 6m3 black tie x-flex" driver shaft. I can't find the same shaft at a reasonably price, so I was wondering if a different branded x-flex shaft would so the same job.

Last summer, my driver broke so I picked up a second hand one with a different flex from AG that looked nice. I did give it a whack on the range and seemed to be okay (I reckon there was some kind of witchcraft going on because I haven't hit the driver as well as I did since trying before i bought it!...). Anyway, I haven't been consistent with it at all, with A LOT more bad drives than good ones. So I've decided to replace the broken shaft on my old driver as I hit that very well.

Thanks!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What heads it going into? What do you call a reasonable price (these were pretty pricey shafts when launched and hold their price to some degree).

The short answer to your other question is not all other x flex shafts will do the same, albeit there are ones with similar profiles

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, the shafts differ quite a lot. But you"ll need the guys with tne technical knowledge to tell you how to identify something that could be a reasonable equivalent.

Buckbeak

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. It went into a Callaway X2 Hot. The bottom of the adapter snapped. Well I actually bought the driver for about £50 on Ebay. So didn't want to spend more than that on replacement shaft.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The perceived wisdom seems to be that shaft flex varies from one company to the other.

Regular flex on one brand will likely be slightly different from another brand. There's also nuances like 'kick' i.e. if the shaft kicks / flexes in the mid point or lower down the shaft.

As a rule, the faster you swing, the stiffer your shafts should be. And it's also likely this will become more important for the longer clubs - like Driver - where the shaft is longer and the head bigger and possibly heavier.

Very difficult to measure these sorts of things without an experienced club fitter and a launch monitor. And also likely you are going to be deprived of some pennies if you get someone to really tune something in for you.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. It went into a Callaway X2 Hot. The bottom of the adapter snapped. Well I actually bought the driver for about £50 on Ebay. So didn't want to spend more than that on replacement shaft.

Is the actual shaft snapped or just the adapter? If its just the adapter a decent club fitter will be able to remove it and replace it

Buckbeak

Visit site
I believe it's the shaft - as I said I'm not very technical haha. Hopefully you'll be able to see from the image. The rest of it was inside the head, which I've managed to save.

Attachments

• Shaft.jpg
    Shaft.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 24

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
yep looks like the shaft sadly :(

golf clubs for cash appear to have one for sale for £60 but they often have discount vouchers or you could try and knock them down (check it has the right adapter too as Callaway have changed theirs at some point)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe it's the shaft - as I said I'm not very technical haha. Hopefully you'll be able to see from the image. The rest of it was inside the head, which I've managed to save.

Without seeing it too clearly that looks to me like the adaptor broke rather than the shaft or the break is so close to the tip that the shaft would still be usable. Just needs the remains of the old adapter removed and new adapter glued in place. Using the 2 pieces you should be able to work out exactly how much of the tip is missing quarter of an inch and you would barely notice the difference.

This is a Callaway adapter and the shaft going in to the adapter would stop at approximately 30 mm from the point where it enters the adapter (not the ferrule)

011.JPG011.JPG

Buckbeak

Visit site
If you say where you are , hopefully someone local on here can recommend a friendly and not too expensive place to go and get it fixed.... or the facility to try other shafts too

I'm in South West London. Would be grateful for any recommendations

Buckbeak

Visit site
Without seeing it too clearly that looks to me like the adaptor broke rather than the shaft or the break is so close to the tip that the shaft would still be usable. Just needs the remains of the old adapter removed and new adapter glued in place. Using the 2 pieces you should be able to work out exactly how much of the tip is missing quarter of an inch and you would barely notice the difference.

This is a Callaway adapter and the shaft going in to the adapter would stop at approximately 30 mm from the point where it enters the adapter (not the ferrule)

View attachment 26870View attachment 26870
I'm not sure of that I'm afraid - thanks for the heads up though. I'll try and get it checked out. Annoyingly after I managed to get the rest of the adapter/shaft put of the head with pliers I threw the rest away!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure of that I'm afraid - thanks for the heads up though. I'll try and get it checked out. Annoyingly after I managed to get the rest of the adapter/shaft put of the head with pliers I threw the rest away!
From the picture you posted the shaft isn't affected, the adapter is what has broken, but being carbon composite I would get a professional to remove what's left and attach a new adapter - job done.
Don't need the old bits of adapter - it will only fit one way/length (unless you want the club a different length)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was only suggesting this as a check for length. Easy enough to measure what you have left.

The adapter in the photograph was a 'removal' due to a part of the adapter being broken and was an easy removal without damaging the shaft.