Newbies first post, advice about joining a club.

Club choice

• Upchurch - Pay and Play

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Sittingbourne - Full Membership

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Sherness - Full Membership

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bearsted - Full Membership

• Other

• Total voters

Gentabout

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have been lurking now for a little while reading and learning and getting a feel for the place so thought it about time I stuck my head above the parapet and spoke up.

Im a real newbie to golf having picked my first club up under a year ago after much resistance and being badgered by my boss to have a go. Im now stupidly hooked and have spent too much money!. Not quite all the gear and no idea but not far off.

Up until now I have been mainly playing the local pay and play course (Upchurch River Valley, Kent) and my rounds have ranged from poor to very poor but now and then I manage to string a few shots together and surprise myself with a par or 2 on some rounds and had my first birdie a couple of weeks ago. Ive had a few lessons and spent some time working on different things to improve but have lost my putting ability at the moment.

So now I'm thinking I need to join a club and maybe enter a few comps to give me a focus and maybe even get a handicap. I could join Upchurch at about £100 a year and then a small discount on green fees or I have considered a few of the other localish clubs but at around £1k a year with no green fees. I am trying to play at least once a week but its more likely to be 3-4 times a month so the costs are about the same. Im going to be joining on my own I think so want somewhere friendly and welcoming to a beginner. On my radar are Sheerness, Sittingbourne, Bearsted, I live closest to Sittingbourne at the moment but probably moving in the next 12 months and will more than likely end up somewhere between Sittingbourne and Maidstone so Bearsted might end up being closer although I work in Sittingbourne.

So the floor is open for advice, everything welcome :whoo:

D

Deleted member 18121

Upchurch isn't an easy course at all and playing there will definitely prove a challenge over the year.

I cant comment on the other clubs, but as a noob I'd keep your options open and play the field. Then after a year look at joining somewhere then....especially considering the costs.

Do you think you'll play every week?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would wait until you are settled and then worry about where to join. When the time comes think about your needs and what you want out of a club.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Once you start playing in competitions you will start making friends with existing members. Playing with players who are better than you will improve your game immensely. You will learn by watching them, even get some tips but the challenge of trying to beat them will make you motivated, focused on your round. I found just knocking the ball about it was too easy to lose focus and not really care but playing with strangers really brought my game along.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at Sittingbourne. It's a friendly club, with a tidy course and normally excellent greens. Getting a game isn't normally a problem, it just depends on what time you're looking at. Weekend PM's can be millionaires golf:)
We have plenty of comps and medals the last weekend of every month all year round, so plenty to foucus on and try to sink youre teeth into.
There is currently an offer of £100 joining fee, though for how long I don't know.
Ping me a PM if there's anything else I can try and help you with.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the fold, I haven't been on the forum long but I've been a golfer on and off for many years.

I have literally just signed up to a 7 day membership. One of the biggest deciding factors for me was the practice facilities, in particular my club has free range balls to members. If you spend an hour or 2 a week on the range the costs can add up!