Newbie..

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
Good evening,

First post! I started playing golf regularly in June this year. Looking for advice on when to start looking for a club?

Cheers

Darren

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Assuming youre already getting out on the course then no reason not to start looking now imo. That said wouldnt rush to be paying for winter whilst the weather is as it is so either look for somewhere that is doing a winter deal special or wait for early spring when the weather picks up.

Where are you based? so that people can give you some recommendations for where to join

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you for the replies.
I am getting out as often as possible. I've been playing at Corhampton, North Wiltshire, Southamton municipal and my companies course - Leckford. I live in Southamton, Hampshire.

I wasn't planning to join any club until after the new year due to the weather. :thup:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am getting out as often as possible. I've been playing at Corhampton, North Wiltshire, Southamton municipal and my companies course - Leckford. I live in Southamton, Hampshire.

I wasn't planning to join any club until after the new year due to the weather. :thup:

To be honest when I say right away I men when they eat you in which may be March

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh- and as a forum initiation, it's imperative that you tell us how long you can hit your driver. Forum rules dictate that you must multiply your longest ever drive by 1.4!!!!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome on board enjoy! Few from your neck of the woods to reccomend clubs, but no reason not to join in spring although many places offer free jan feb march as an incentive to join now 15 months for price of 12 so worth checking if any deals on or if you can play on company corporate membership?

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
My longest drive, multiplying by 1.4, is 364 yards. I'm using a Cleveland Hi-Bore 10.5 degree. :D

My swing is fairly consistent, I do have a habit of looking for the ball down the fairway before I have played the shot. I am assuming that is something all golfer a do when they start playing?! I have to keep telling myself; slow and smooth..

East Horton is doing a 15 month deal, but I've been told it is not ideal for winter golf.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do have a habit of looking for the ball down the fairway before I have played the shot. I am assuming that is something all golfer a do when they start playing?!

I don't know anything about anything, but I reckon it's easier to hit a ball when you're looking at it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hi darren welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you join one of the municipal clubs like Southampton. I used to be a member there years ago and they run plenty of competitions so no problem getting that first handicap. You pay your club annual subs then either pay a green fee each time you play or buy a season ticket if you will be playing a lot. They will help you to find playing partners to assist you fitting in.

Unfortunately, not too many free draining courses in this area, best ones are Hockley and Royal Winchester as they are built on chalk hills. I was at Hockley for 6 years, good bunch of lads up there. When you are ready to join a private club, those 2 and Stoneham would be my choices. Bit further out from Southampton you have Brokenhurst and Hayling which are both good tracks.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Welcome to the forum Darren. I guess you must be a "partner" if you play at Leckford. I've played the old course 9 holer a couple of times and its a gem.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I would suggest consolidating your swing with a few lessons and then hitting a new course in the spring. That said there is nothing to stop you joining now so I guess how confident you feel about your game. To be fair there is nothing to beat the comaradarie of playing with members and entering comps

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
drive4show; I have played the municipal a few times this year. At the moment the Enviroment Agency is working on the course and there are two holes closed. I have been told the works will last for at least six months which is a shame as it would be ideal up there and it's the closest course to my house.

Tour Rookie; Yes, I am a partner. I played at Leckford last week, birdied the eighth :) It's a great little course and always very quite. I think there are two tournaments a year at the branch where I work - too late for me this season! They also have another course, Winter Hill.

Thanks for all the kind welcomes!

D

Deleted Member 1156

That's a shame, do you know why they are working up there, and which holes are closed?

darren22

Hacker
Visit site
The 2nd and 17th were closed when I played there two weeks ago. I ended up playing the 2nd hole from the 9 hole which was also on a temp green! They were chopping down lots of trees, bushes and shrubery. They have boarded out a path right through the middle of the course. The whole 9 hole is closed too.