Cookie53

Visit site
Hi All,

I have had lessons for quite a while now and have been spending a fair amount of time on the golf range. I have done a few rounds at the par 3 in Thornbury near Bristol with a friend of mine. But due to other commitments he can only manage to play once a month. To get more games in, am I best joining a club in Bristol? I notice advise on here says to start entering competitions, but I don't feel I am ready to do that yet. Do clubs pair members up based on ability? I'm sure a good player does not want to spend their time with me hacking my way around the course!! 😁

Apologies if the questions seem a bit obvious, but I'm still trying to understand how you guys get games. I notice some of you say that you visit an area and try out some courses. Do you just play on your own? I also read that golf is not a single player sport and single players have no standing in the course.

Thanks in advance for your help!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's absolutely no reason why you cant play golf on your own and the ruling that single players have no standing on the course has gone.
Try a few courses and see which one appeals. You may even get a free round if you call in advance asking about membership.
Finally, don't worry about being the worst golfer on the course, you wont be.
And welcome

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don’t worry about your playing partners if you enter a competition ... they will know that players come in all abilities and they were once beginners too. I have found that club golfers are a friendly and sociable bunch ... just keep up with the pace of play and it should be fine. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for guidance on the rules if you are unsure of anything. It might be worth starting with stableford competitions, as these tend to involve players with a wider range of capabilities ... medal competitions tend to be the preserve (although not exclusively) of better players. Just enjoy the experience and have fun. Good luck!

Dannyc

Visit site
Join a club it won’t take long for u to meet members and become part of it and win some comps 👍

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I recently joined a club and not knowing many people there, the 'buddy board' was a real help getting to know people and arranging games.
The buddy board is on the notice board and you put your name and contact details up, along with handicap/level.
Maybe the clubs you are considering joining have one of these?

Also there is an expectation that if you book for less than 4 people you could get folks joining you, which works well too.
The people running the booking should also be able to help you join up with suitable players too.

Good luck and I'm sure you will settle in far quicker than you imagined.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally speaking I enjoy playing with someone who is starting out. We all started somewhere! And there’s much to learn, so playing with an established player you’ll learn loads (including some bad habits but hey-ho). Play all the courses, as Bob says they may even let you on for free and or pair you up with someone. Whatever you do don’t be embarrassed or worried you’ll hold people up, as long as you have good etiquette/manners people will put up with a high score, chances are they’ve scored worse in the recent past!

Cookie53

Visit site
Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I think each of you have answered all of my questions! The buddy board seems like a great idea. It gives me something to ask about when looking around clubs. I will also ask about competitions. It's reassuring to know that competitions are still open to people starting out. I assumed you had to be reasonably good before entering. It's also good to know the that I can play a round on my own without it being frowned upon. I need all the practice I can get at the moment 😀

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play/practice on my own all the time. Some old coffin dodgers still think a single has no standing so I tend to avoid them and skip from one random hole to another. besides I don’t know how to use a defibrillator.

As for competitions a couple of years ago I entered the club championships of my club whilst playing off 9.

I shot 108 Saturday and started in the first group out at the dawn on Sunday.

I shot 103. I was not the worst in my group. By a margin.

Welcome to the madhouse

JayB

Visit site
Welcome Cookie53,

I was in the same situation when I first started playing, although I played on my own for a few months I gave up completely after a while as I wasn't enjoying it.

I've just started again after joining a club, not sure yet but hopefully it was a good choice.

Although I'm not very good and unfortuantely don't have endless amounts of spare time but If you're looking company to try any of the local courses give me a shout.

Goodluck and enjoy (y)

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

I have had lessons for quite a while now and have been spending a fair amount of time on the golf range. I have done a few rounds at the par 3 in Thornbury near Bristol with a friend of mine. But due to other commitments he can only manage to play once a month. To get more games in, am I best joining a club in Bristol? I notice advise on here says to start entering competitions, but I don't feel I am ready to do that yet. Do clubs pair members up based on ability? I'm sure a good player does not want to spend their time with me hacking my way around the course!! 😁

Apologies if the questions seem a bit obvious, but I'm still trying to understand how you guys get games. I notice some of you say that you visit an area and try out some courses. Do you just play on your own? I also read that golf is not a single player sport and single players have no standing in the course.

Thanks in advance for your help!
If you play once per month joining a club as a full member will be a bit pointless you could try see if any offer a flexible membership, most clubs will have roll ups and medals that's your bast bet for meeting other members, dont worry about pairing with good players in my experience they like to show off there skills a bit and don't mind playing with high handycappers i have a thread somwere on here about joing my first club and asked some of the questions as you, i play 80% of my golf alone and just book into medals on sat or sun and meet members that way

Cookie53

Visit site
Thanks all. You are right, it's only my friend that can only play once a month. I am looking at playing more regular so that I can improve. It's really good to here about playing on your own. It's not that I am trying to be antisocial. It's quite the opposite. One of the reasons I started playing golf is to meet new people. I'm sure lots of new players feel like they are going to make an arse of themselves and stops them from getting into the sport.

It is a slightly intimidating, but the encouragement you guys have provided has been really helpful.

Thank you!!

D

Deleted member 21258

Yeah get stuck in, most clubs are friendly and people welcoming. Hope it all works out for you.

Welcome to the forum.

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I started playing, and joined my current club, 3 years ago. I didn’t know anyone as all my mates either aren’t interested in golf or gave up a long time ago. You will soon find yourself a group of people to play with regularly, or if you don’t want that, just put your name down with different people each week.

It is intimidating for beginners to play for the first time with strangers in a comp, but you’ll soon get used to it! When I started out I didn’t come across one person who wasn’t sympathetic to me being a hacker. Get stuck in pal!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. Do your homework about the clubs in your area and see what their prices are, their facilities and if you can see about things like drainage in the winter. You don't want somewhere that turns into a quagmire. Also ask them about their roll up groups which are informal groups who play at set times on set days. They are a great way to get to meet members and get a regular game.

Dannyc

Visit site
Going for a pint after a round in the bar will help u meet people aswell I only knew a couple of lads when I joined my club I now play team golf and play with a big group of lads fivers in these lads have also become my good friends outside the course aswell

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I started out four years ago and joined a club straight away. It can seem intimidating at first when you don't know anyone. I got my handicap by joining in with a Sunday morning roll-up and explaining why I was there. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Once I had a handicap, I just entered competitions in groups where there were spaces and very quickly got to know a number of people in the club. As I can't commit to a regular time each week I haven't joined any groups of players and often play practice rounds on my own. Don't get intimidated by assuming everyone else is a great golfer, you'll soon realise that is not the case. Just go out and enjoy yourself and enjoy the company when playing with others.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Which clubs have you looked at joining in Bristol? I play at Kendleshire and have played all of the Bristol courses. Might be able to point you in the right direction (y)