Newbie equipment help

Ron Manager

Visit site
Hi there

I am a relative newcomer to golf. I have had maybe 4 or 5 lessons a few years ago but struggled to find time to play.

So, I am determined to get started! I do not own any clubs or any equipment. What do you typically recommend for a newcomer? I am nervous about buying second hand clubs on ebay because they could be forgeries I assume.

What do you guys suggest? I don't want to be one of those guys who turns up with £1000+ clubs but little idea of how to play with them, but, I would like something half decent (and appropriate for a game improver) that allows me to develop.

Thank you for any help you can offer me

:)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi there

I am a relative newcomer to golf. I have had maybe 4 or 5 lessons a few years ago but struggled to find time to play.

So, I am determined to get started! I do not own any clubs or any equipment. What do you typically recommend for a newcomer? I am nervous about buying second hand clubs on ebay because they could be forgeries I assume.

What do you guys suggest? I don't want to be one of those guys who turns up with £1000+ clubs but little idea of how to play with them, but, I would like something half decent (and appropriate for a game improver) that allows me to develop.

Thank you for any help you can offer me

:)
Golfbidder do used equipment and their descriptions are in my experience very reliable and they indicate what level of golfer the equipment is aimed at .

peld

Visit site
Get on gumtree and you can find a set locally for about £50. Just something to start practicing (half a dozen clubs is fine) and maybe get a lesson or two. If you actually get chance to start playing, then consider an upgrade. Given you have struggled to play over the last few years, no point splurging if you are going to struggle again.

D

Deleted member 21258

Gumtree, facebook marketplace or ebay, a nice set of 2nd hand clubs.

A set of callaways X14 irons are very forgiving, couple of high lofted hybrids and something like a Cobra fly z driver(again very forgiving and 'fairly' easy to hit).

Enjoy and best of luck.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't use golf bidder. Prices have always seemed high compared to eBay etc.

Look on Facebook marketplace or selling groups, or eBay and gumtree if you want really cheap.

Or could always ask local club pro what they can do

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its a minefield .
But secondhand ping clubs are very good.
The G models are very good and established players still use them.
It’s very hard to quote you a recommendation as there are so many good clubs now.
Do you know anyone who plays ?
They would be best to ask.

My advice is go see a pro at a local club ,explain your situation to him.
Most will help you and may even throw in a lesson to fit your swing speed lie etc. Then second hand clubs will do.
Solid advice from the start is important so you don’t buy clubs that don’t fit you,
If you buy the wrong ones it may hinder your development.
This sounds a bit negative but it’s not meant to be.
A good golf pro is there to help you,
Good luck.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always find Golfbidder a good starting point in seeing what is out there and for how much. Affordable golf too and both reputable sites to deal with. Not always convinced the savings you can get scouring through e-bay (and the hassle if it becomes a mess) outweigh the additional cost you may pay on those sites. Always had great service from Golfbidder and they offer a 7 day return policy too

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't use golf bidder. Prices have always seemed high compared to eBay etc.

Look on Facebook marketplace or selling groups, or eBay and gumtree if you want really cheap.

They are high compared with Ebay etc, but that is because they are a commercial organisation that has to make a profit margin.
The upside is that they are as described not imitation/fenced and if you are a beginner and don't know what you are looking for will be fair bit easier to navigate.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
They are high compared with Ebay etc, but that is because they are a commercial organisation that has to make a profit margin.
The upside is that they are as described not imitation/fenced and if you are a beginner and don't know what you are looking for will be fair bit easier to navigate.

Yeah I get that but when I was looking for a driver a few months ago it was around 50% dearer which obviously isn't a small amount

TheDashingBlade

Club Champion
Visit site

Partially agree. I find them pricier for more recent gear, but if you are prepared to go back to 2015 and prior its good priced good quality stuff. And I think they tend to be pessimistic with their gradings too.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse Ron, I'm sure some kind hearted forummer will have something lying about that might suit your needs.
Don't splash a lot of cash to start, because you will change them once your game/swing improves.
Wire in (y)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golfbidder do used equipment and their descriptions are in my experience very reliable and they indicate what level of golfer the equipment is aimed at .
This ^^^^ - at least as far as using their site to gather information. You can buy from them or then look elsewhere as you choose.
Or go to your local club and tell the pro what you've just told us and see what he's got in second hand stock
Or this ^^^^
Welcome to the madhouse Ron, I'm sure some kind hearted forummer will have something lying about that might suit your needs.
Don't splash a lot of cash to start, because you will change them once your game/swing improves.
Wire in (y)
Or finally this ^^^^ - if you tell whereabouts you are, some local forummer might have a set they want to shift at modest price (or less)