New world number one?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
A great win and return to form for Ernie Els this week, he now says his goal is to become world number one.

I love his approach to the game and we all know how good he swings it but can he really challenge Tiger as the best in the world? As much as I’d love to see it I’m not so sure.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Know what you mean - seems unlikely

But love this kinda talk coming out of Els' mouth, seems like forever since we actually heard him expressing some ambition and belief that he can challenge Tiger and who knows - if he can get some momentum that swing could carry him all the way - a gd bet for Augusta?!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As long as he actually believes it and the words aren't hollow. It's easy enough to say your ambition is to be world number one. Watch: "within the next 5 years I'm going to be world number one." Do you believe me?

Having said that, he should be up there challenging on a regular basis. i still think he has the game to beat Woods. Augusta should suit him, he's finished in the top 10 six times. If he's going to launch an assault on the world rankings that is where he's got to start. Definitely worth an e/w.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ernie obviously has a great swing but it's hard to believe that anyone nicknamed 'The Big Easy' would have the focus and desire to be number one...

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All the time the Big Easy is 'one of the boys' and likes more than a beer or two he'll never really be a match for the Tiger. Unfortunately Tiger has professionalised the sport to such an extent that only total, obsessive, blinkered determination and drive will now get you to the very top. Ernie just isn't that type of guy.