New wedges

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends on how regularly you play and how often you use them.
Just look after them, keep the grooves clear and you will maximise their life. I have had cast ones in the bag for 3-4 yrs and I currently have a set of sm6 vokeys that are 2 yrs old at least, and they are fine.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends on how regularly you play and how often you use them.
Just look after them, keep the grooves clear and you will maximise their life. I have had cast ones in the bag for 3-4 yrs and I currently have a set of sm6 vokeys that are 2 yrs old at least, and they are fine.
this..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My current Cleveland wedges are 3 years old. Still life left in them. I'll change each one when the face becomes smooth, damaged, marked etc. I use my 52 mostly so that will be first in line but as I like it I won't change it just for the sake of it.

D

Deleted member 18588

If we all saw the amount of practice time Tour pro's put into their short game we would understand why they replace their wedges so frequently.

In all my years playing I have never known of a club golfer who would need to replace wedges any more frequently than their irons.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If we all saw the amount of practice time Tour pro's put into their short game we would understand why they replace their wedges so frequently.

In all my years playing I have never known of a club golfer who would need to replace wedges any more frequently than their irons.
Tour pro's, Euro pro level etc also hit the same spot repeatedly and so genuinely wear a spot smooth. I played a pro am with a guy once who was at a level where he was given one set per year. By early September he had a smooth dot in the sweet spot, the grooves were gone ?. Not sure why it was even in the bag to be honest, it was shot.

I think I've heard most top pro's change their wedges every 3 weeks. They do get them free mind ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I haven't changed my wedges for about 5 years. The issue I have is with a new wedge is it does what it's suppose to and spin but it becomes hard to judge how much it will do so especially as a mid-handicapper capable of variable contacts and launch angle at impact. What I have found with the older wedges is the spin reduces but comes far more consistent and therefore easier to control

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm well overdue replacing my wedges.

In my bag today I had sm4 sm5 and sm6 vokey.

The sm4 is 52 and has low bounce. This will be changed soon for a high bounce.

I keep flip flopping in my mind about what I want loft and grind wise for the other two.

The sm5 K grind 60 has been a serious weapon for me. It has 11 bounce. I love the huge sole on it. Toying with a low bounce K. Cant make up my mind as I cant try it first and it costs a pretty penny.

Since putting ap3 irons in the bag I thought I might need to adjust the wedge side of things. Seem to be able to work it with the current set up of pw 43 gap 52 56 60.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I change my wedges when they start to look a bit beaten up with dents, chunks, scrapes etc..
Or when I see a good deal..

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
How often have you replaced your wedges?
When the damage from bunkers etc takes its toll.

As wedges come as a set the others are often replaced even if not done.

I ran my first set of wedges hard over 3 years, it was clear the sand wedge needed replacing by that point and the gap wedge showed some wear too. So from my experience 3 years of regular golf and practice was about right.
Now I practice more than I play and I only do 8 or so rounds a year I haven’t seen much wear at all, I don’t go in that many bunkers and certainly don’t do any bunker practice (which is where I felt most of the damage gets done) so 7 years later I still have the same wedges.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When I see a new shiney that I like...... Or when I feel like the club is worn out.

This seems to be about 3-4 years. I've just replaced my two 4 year old MD4's with SM8's, very happy with them too, much nicer than the Cally wedges to play.

Having said that, I have also added one of my older ICY wedges back into the bag too. My Cally's were a 52 & 58, they were a direct replacement of the ICY wedges I'd been fit for previously. During a recent bunker lesson, my coach recommended that a 52 & 56 setUp would be better, and then bend the 58 to 60 if I wanted to. Went with the recommendation, the 56 is serving me better in the sand and around the green, but it doesn't open quite as much as the 58 for the occasional over the bunker flop, hence adding the ICY back. I know there's only a 2 degree gap, but I haven't bent It to 60 as it opens right up as it is and only used every so often.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the better wedge players I've seen still uses a seve sand wedge from 1980 or something

He is testing my old sm5 sand wedge as we speak to see if he wants to upgrade

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My wedges are old - possibly 8 years old.... although I’ve not played a huge amount in the last 5 years so that’s spared them a bit.

I tend to like playing the ball in to the green low with not too much spin wherever possible and running it to where i want it, and for approach shots from 50 - 100 yards i hit the ball quite high so get reasonable stopping power on all but the fastest putting surfaces.

I agree with Homer, a consistent ball response is the most important thing. For someone like me who doesn’t play loads and is used to using old wedges, maximum spin isn’t a priority.

dronfield

Visit site
Tour pro's, Euro pro level etc also hit the same spot repeatedly and so genuinely wear a spot smooth. I played a pro am with a guy once who was at a level where he was given one set per year. By early September he had a smooth dot in the sweet spot, the grooves were gone ?. Not sure why it was even in the bag to be honest, it was shot.

I think I've heard most top pro's change their wedges every 3 weeks. They do get them free mind ?

I saw an interview with Harrington and he confirmed that he replaces his wedges every 3 weeks - said how lucky his friends were, frequently getting his cast off equipment!

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve recently changed mine to some new SM7’s and I’ve seen a big difference and I’ve got more confidence in them. I think that I’ll change every couple years from know on.