New wedges / technique or equipment query!?

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like a plonker, I left my sand wedge on the course a couple of weeks ago.
Never done this before & pretty sure I'll never do it again!

If I was to lose a club I would have chosen this one tho', as it (along with my putter) was given to me, and I didn't choose it.
However I have always been relatively good in the sand with it, and had started to develop more confidence around the greens from reasonable lies.

Out of the bunker I could always get the ball up & out by striking the sand relatively hard about an inch before the ball.
Unfortunately I don’t know the spec of the old sw, other than cleveland cg 14(?) 56deg.

I happened upon a couple of 2nd hand titliest vokey spin milled 2nd hand - 52 deg & 56 deg 12 bounce. (although now I'm doubting myself - maybe its 14?!), and thought 'I need them'.

I'm loving the 52 degree, can't believe I even survived this long without it.
However out of the sand, my standard bunker technique seems to be resulting in a lower trajectory, meaning I've had a few extra shots from the sand after not getting out of deeper traps….

Does anyone have any thoughts whether this is mainly technique related? i.e. do I need to open the stance, or get more (or less!) sand?
Or have I got to go club shopping again?!

Any thought / opinions gratefully received!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
id use teh 56 as a sand wedge as most sandwedges seem to be around 55/56*. also check out bunker techniques with big phil on youtube, a great video.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Vokey sand wedge is 56deg,12 bounce.The 12 deg of bounce is a good compromise between allowing the wedge to work through the sand without digging in,and being usable on the fairway,without the leading edge being too high.
I must admit that i use my 60deg almost exclusively for greenside bunkers,only using the 56 when i'm slightly further away.
The depth and texture of the sand can make a big difference,so it might be worth spending some time experimenting with ball position and face position.I nearly always open the face slightly with my 56,but normally keep the face square when using the 60.Hitting the sand an inch behind the ball is a good starting point for most bunker shots,it may simply be that your last wedge had less bounce,and it dug in and got under the ball more,whereas the Vokey is doing what its supposed to and "Bouncing".