New wedge bought, MD fans will appreciate.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went into the pro shop today to pay my competition and two's club and noticed was greeted by the new range of MD Bags, wedges and putters. So after around 0.25 seconds I decided and bought a new MD Norman Drew Edition 50degree Players wedge. This model also gets the milled face as the normal version. It feels great in my hands and comes with a half corded Lambkin Grip. So far ive noticed a hell of a lot of spin (on sanded greens too) and the ball seems to stay in the air for an eternity which im putting down to increased spin and the windy conditions.
Apologies for the slightly grubby pics, these were taken after I had been out for 9 holes! Best £50 ive spent on golf kit in a while.
IMAGE_052.jpg

IMAGE_053.jpg

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beautiful, there's some serious milling on that face!
What are you going to do with 3 wedges now....50 degrees is between PW and SW, carry all four? or ditch something.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
As much as I like the LW its got to go as its just too difficult to gauge accurately. The pw will stay for long chips with run out and 1xx yd shots, the 50 will be used for green side shots up to 50 yds where a little more control is needed where the spin mill 56 will fire the ball a little too high and (what sometimes happens lands and doesnt run at all) those shots where you need to fire the ball into the green a little lower and get a bit of zip to stop the ball, a fair amount of our greens have two tiers etc so it will be handier where I need a little runout where the sw stops and the pw is too low.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
Brendy, what shaft are in the md wedges, only 5 degree bounce on the sand wedge, what do you think it will be like out of a bunker.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
R300 shaft, because mine is a 50 degree, itll not be used out of the bunker often. My mizuno 60deg with 5 deg bounce comes out of bunkers every bit as well as a 12 degree etc sw. What is better though is that you can play chop down shots in shallow bunkers (ball back in stance) where height isnt a problem and you can fizz the ball across a long green and watch it check on first bounce then skip 10 feet then stop dead.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
Realgolfers right it`s beautiful milling.

I think had it been milled in the oposite direction

(circles running down)it would spin even more

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personaly, I'm not into lots of bounce. I use my 9/PW/SW out of bunkers and have not had problems with the club digging in (which the bounce is designed to solve).
If I was choosing a new wedge, I'd go with a normal or low bounce so it sits tighter to the ground for non-bunker shots.
Probably just a swing/technique thing.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personaly, I'm not into lots of bounce. I use my 9/PW/SW out of bunkers and have not had problems with the club digging in (which the bounce is designed to solve).
If I was choosing a new wedge, I'd go with a normal or low bounce so it sits tighter to the ground for non-bunker shots.
Probably just a swing/technique thing.
Exactly the same theory as myself matey, a club for all courses, high bounce clubs would be harsh round links courses.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not necessarily divot, higher bounce clubs will get through fluffy bunkers without digging in too deep where low bounce versions will have a tendency to go as deep as you let them go. Imagine a skimming stone, a fine rounded one will skip shallow skips and will go quite a way through as there is less resistance, this is a high bounce sw which encourages the leading edge to rise out of the resistance.
Now imagine a thicker sharper edged stone, it wont skip as far as it isnt cleanly cutting through as shallow, it will dig in as gravity and the resistance of the water opposes it, this is how I see the low bounce, its more for digging in. I believe the low bounce wedge in the right hands to be the better tool though as it allows cleaner hits and will catch the ball thin less than the higher belly line of the high bounce wedge.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
It certainly performed well today, my pitching today was pretty good, needed to be to make up for my below average driving in the first 9 holes.

T

thecraw

I have the MD Cobalt wedges that I bought earlier this year and quite frankly they are awesome. Spin wise and feel wise simply superb.

I also had the opertunity to try out the MD Superstrong forged irons last week which were a demo set sent to my mate who is a club pro. I was also very impressed bur prefer my Ping I5 irons. I will seriously consider many more MD products.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am now contemplating changing my rifle 6.0 RAC LTs now because the MD's are coming on in leaps and bounds. Their latest clubs look and feel every bit as good as titleist and TM, the fit and finish of the MD N.Drew players wedge is top notch.